Willie Cauley-Stein 'Needs A Fresh Start' According To Agent

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Willie Cauley-Stein 'Needs A Fresh Start' According To Agent 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:24 am

Roger Montgomery, Willie Cauley-Stein's agent, said that his client needs a fresh start after four seasons with the Sacramento Kings.

Cauley-Stein is currently a restricted free agent. The Kings have until June 30th to extend him a $6.2 million qualifying offer. 

“I really think Willie needs a fresh start. Based on how things have gone for him there in Sacramento, I just think it’s time for Willie to move on and we’d really like him to move on," said Montgomery. 

The Kings briefly responded to Montgomery's comments. 

“Willie is a great player who has shown he can fit our style of play. Beyond that, we can’t comment further," said the Kings.

PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Re: Willie Cauley-Stein 'Needs A Fresh Start' According To Agent 

Post#2 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:01 am

New Orleans or Lakers written all over him :)
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#3 » by Temuhjan » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:38 pm

The New York Knicks gotta be the frontrunner
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,341

Post#4 » by Scalabrine » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:54 pm

Temuhjan wrote:The New York Knicks gotta be the frontrunner

Why?

I think the front office views Mitchell Robinson, who just turned 21, as our center of the future. Unless WCS comes in on a small deal, I'd imagine he'd want to go somewhere where there is a more defined role for him and a probably starting spot.
Go Knicks!
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#5 » by Psubs » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:56 pm

Scalabrine wrote:

Why?

I think the front office views Mitchell Robinson, who just turned 21, as our center of the future. Unless WCS comes in on a small deal, I'd imagine he'd want to go somewhere where there is a more defined role for him and a probably starting spot.

Exactly, why waste money on WCS. They need to adress PF. Throw money at Tobias Harris who is from NY.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,341

Post#6 » by Scalabrine » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:03 pm

Psubs wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

Why?

Exactly, why waste money on WCS. They need to adress PF. Throw money at Tobias Harris who is from NY.

We don't need to throw money anywhere. Harris isn't going to be the difference maker with this roster. I guess I'd be fine signing him to a reasonable deal, but what we really need to do is collect more assets with our capspace at this point and roll our space over to next year.
Go Knicks!
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#7 » by NatiboyB » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:15 pm

I don't see how Vlade doesn't offer huge deals to Vucevic or Valanicius I think WCS even understands this. I'm not seeing a market for WCS yet but he is in play to whichever team losing a big man...But that will be after the better centers find a location.
Yao4REAL
Sophomore
And1: 13

Post#8 » by Yao4REAL » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:53 pm

Kings should go after one of these, I prefer Lopez or Vucevic:

Brook Lopez
Vucevic
Deandre Jordan
Middleton
Tobias Harris
Kings2016
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#9 » by Kings2016 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:03 pm

Yao4REAL wrote:Kings should go after one of these, I prefer Lopez or Vucevic:

Brook Lopez
Vucevic
Deandre Jordan
Middleton
Tobias Harris

Why In the heck would the Kings want Brooke Lopez that’s doesn’t change or improve you significantly. Jordan is to old now with this young roster.. Vucevic, Harris and Middleton are improvements that could get you to the playoffs for sure maybe further depending on how good Bagley is.... btw everyone thinks Harris is a power forward he is more of a small forward in a power forwards body.. he can play the SF with Bagley at the PF .. they have enough cap space if they leave the Harrison Barnes thing alone to get both Vucevic at around 4 years 164 million and also Harris 4 years 164 max contracts that would improve your team and make you a contender in the west( PG Fox, SG Heild, SF Harris, PF Bagley C Vucevic) .. its not time to sit and wait until next year .. they have a great opportunity now and they need to do whatever they can to get it done .. Cauley Stein you let go or offer the qualifying offer just to make sure you can get something in return for him in a sign and trade.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#10 » by ecuhus1981 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:02 pm

In most cases, I would say that this is an attempt to circumvent restricted free agency, BUT...

WCS's agent has a point.

Vlade Divac has gone out of his way to posture against re-signing WCS, and they've floated rumored interest in other FA C's this summer. They are within their CBA rights to use him as a bargaining chip in an S&T, but the application is less valuable as an asset (can't convey 5th year or higher raises, hard-caps accepting team) than it used to be. Any team whose FA Sacramento desires is not going to be swayed by the Kings offering WCS to them.

I think Willie could be a great fit in New Orleans, Atlanta or a couple of other places with upstart teams that could use a 5. The Kings should have sat or gotten off the pot if they wanted to recoup value for him. Either trade him last February, or decide you want him and don't throw verbal jabs at him in the media days before free agency.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#11 » by jason bourne » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:30 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:In most cases, I would say that this is an attempt to circumvent restricted free agency, BUT...

WCS's agent has a point.

Vlade Divac has gone out of his way to posture against re-signing WCS, and they've floated rumored interest in other FA C's this summer. They are within their CBA rights to use him as a bargaining chip in an S&T, but the application is less valuable as an asset (can't convey 5th year or higher raises, hard-caps accepting team) than it used to be. Any team whose FA Sacramento desires is not going to be swayed by the Kings offering WCS to them.

I think Willie could be a great fit in New Orleans, Atlanta or a couple of other places with upstart teams that could use a 5. The Kings should have sat or gotten off the pot if they wanted to recoup value for him. Either trade him last February, or decide you want him and don't throw verbal jabs at him in the media days before free agency.

WCS' agent is doing right by him. He does not want his client to have to do anything with the self-admitted stupidest GM in the NBA. This, after Divac practically drafted nothing but Cs in the draft. His best pick at #6 was WCS, but he doesn't want to give him a decent offer. Really think the Kings will become worse than the Suns after all is said and done in the off-season.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#12 » by ecuhus1981 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:37 pm

jason bourne wrote:WCS' agent is doing right by him. He does not want his client to have to do anything with the self-admitted stupidest GM in the NBA. This, after Divac practically drafted nothing but Cs in the draft. His best pick at #6 was WCS, but he doesn't want to give him a decent offer. Really think the Kings will become worse than the Suns after all is said and done in the off-season.

All truth.

I'm just astounded that in less than 14 months, Divac is going to rob the franchise of Doncic and Stein with one move. I'm not saying that WCS is a star or anything, but everyone knew that Luka was the best player in last year's draft. They had (and still have) a gaping hole at SF, and although Doncic isn't a natural 3, at 6'7 he could have worked there for Sacto. Instead, they drafted a rail-thin but promising PF, and are now touting him as their C of the future?
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#13 » by JimmyJammer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:46 pm

I am not gonna lie, he'd look really good next to Lebron and AD.
DieHardKingsFan
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#14 » by DieHardKingsFan » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:43 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:
jason bourne wrote:WCS' agent is doing right by him. He does not want his client to have to do anything with the self-admitted stupidest GM in the NBA. This, after Divac practically drafted nothing but Cs in the draft. His best pick at #6 was WCS, but he doesn't want to give him a decent offer. Really think the Kings will become worse than the Suns after all is said and done in the off-season.

All truth.

I'm just astounded that in less than 14 months, Divac is going to rob the franchise of Doncic and Stein with one move. I'm not saying that WCS is a star or anything, but everyone knew that Luka was the best player in last year's draft. They had (and still have) a gaping hole at SF, and although Doncic isn't a natural 3, at 6'7 he could have worked there for Sacto. Instead, they drafted a rail-thin but promising PF, and are now touting him as their C of the future?

"...self-admitted stupidest GM in the NBA." Okay, exaggeration. Yeah, I'm sure Vlade has said he's the stupidest GM in the NBA. Save your hyperbole for teams with fans with low IQs. Admittedly, Vlade has made mistakes and he himself owed up to them (e.g., the initial Demarcus Cousins trade proposal). For an inexperienced exec, Vlade by no means has been stellar in his now just 4 years of service. His best pick was not WCS, but De'Aaron Fox.

Okay, so how did Vlade rob the franchise?? Luka Doncic didn't even want to work out for the Kings in Sacramento. Shoot, Doncic didn't even want to give up his medicals to the Kings org. Vlade and Vivek did their due diligence and even visited Luka in Spain for dinner to get a feel for him and the possible fit.

Clearly, the fit is what counts. I'm not arguing that in this past year that Luka was the best rookie, but even he didn't outplay Trae Young in the latter part of the season. Luka's fit on the Kings wouldn't add up because his addition would mean subtraction of ball-handling and decision-making by Fox (among starters) and Bogdanovic (off the bench). The fit for Marvin Bagley meant someone who could grow with and be the benefactor of a fast-breaking team lead by Fox. Not to mention, Vlade's philosophy is to not draft anyone he didn't work out in person. And, FYI, Bagley gladly worked out for the Kings when other draft prospects refused to do so like Luka. Remember, Sacramento is a small market. It's tough to get Star/All-Star/Superstar players to come here...they'll most likely have to be home-grown. Sac has to maximize players who actually want to be here...and that's difficult. And, yes, there is a gaping hole at SF (filled last year by Harrison Barnes and Corey Brewer). That position is still up in the air and is the greatest need to be filled.

As for WCS, he's decent, but he's delusional. Here's what he said before the start of last season:

“I’m ready to get paid,” exclaimed Cauley-Stein during the Sacramento Kings’ media day. “This is what we’ve got to do, that’s what type of focus I’m on. I’m ready for it. I’ve seen everybody else — all my peers. All right, I’m ready for that. What do I got to do to do that? That’s what they’re doing. All right, I’m going to go ahead and do this now. I was doing it this way, obviously it wasn’t working, so now let’s do it this way.”

The guy wants to get his because he thinks he's owed it and because his friends are getting paid. Sac's given him his opportunity to grow and develop (especially after the departure of Demarcus Cousins), but he most likely has reached his ceiling. I really like WCS, but he is so lax on the defensive end. The Kings deserve a center who can play with consistency and that can actually be on the floor in crunch-time. If only he could have reached the potential to be a Clint Capella type. Maybe, then, I could see giving him his payday.
Heavyhitter10
Sophomore
And1: 12

Post#15 » by Heavyhitter10 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:35 pm

What Willie needs is drug free environment.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#16 » by enderwilson » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:29 pm

For all those saying that Willie would do good to get out from under the Kings "horrible organization", you're just advertising your own ignorance.

If you had paid even a moderate amount of attention to WCS's career you would not be placing the value you are on his abilities. He's all packaging with very little substance. Amazing gifts with an extreme sense of self worth, but what has he done to demonstrate this on the court?
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#17 » by 23artest23 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:12 pm

WCS strikes me as stupid. I mean that literally...the guy just comes across as being stupid.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#18 » by jason bourne » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:15 am

DieHardKingsFan wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:

All truth.

"...self-admitted stupidest GM in the NBA." Okay, exaggeration. Yeah, I'm sure Vlade has said he's the stupidest GM in the NBA. Save your hyperbole for teams with fans with low IQs. Admittedly, Vlade has made mistakes and he himself owed up to them (e.g., the initial Demarcus Cousins trade proposal). For an inexperienced exec, Vlade by no means has been stellar in his now just 4 years of service. His best pick was not WCS, but De'Aaron Fox.

Okay, so how did Vlade rob the franchise?? Luka Doncic didn't even want to work out for the Kings in Sacramento. Shoot, Doncic didn't even want to give up his medicals to the Kings org. Vlade and Vivek did their due diligence and even visited Luka in Spain for dinner to get a feel for him and the possible fit.

Clearly, the fit is what counts. I'm not arguing that in this past year that Luka was the best rookie, but even he didn't outplay Trae Young in the latter part of the season. Luka's fit on the Kings wouldn't add up because his addition would mean subtraction of ball-handling and decision-making by Fox (among starters) and Bogdanovic (off the bench). The fit for Marvin Bagley meant someone who could grow with and be the benefactor of a fast-breaking team lead by Fox. Not to mention, Vlade's philosophy is to not draft anyone he didn't work out in person. And, FYI, Bagley gladly worked out for the Kings when other draft prospects refused to do so like Luka. Remember, Sacramento is a small market. It's tough to get Star/All-Star/Superstar players to come here...they'll most likely have to be home-grown. Sac has to maximize players who actually want to be here...and that's difficult. And, yes, there is a gaping hole at SF (filled last year by Harrison Barnes and Corey Brewer). That position is still up in the air and is the greatest need to be filled.

As for WCS, he's decent, but he's delusional. Here's what he said before the start of last season:

“I’m ready to get paid,” exclaimed Cauley-Stein during the Sacramento Kings’ media day. “This is what we’ve got to do, that’s what type of focus I’m on. I’m ready for it. I’ve seen everybody else — all my peers. All right, I’m ready for that. What do I got to do to do that? That’s what they’re doing. All right, I’m going to go ahead and do this now. I was doing it this way, obviously it wasn’t working, so now let’s do it this way.”

The guy wants to get his because he thinks he's owed it and because his friends are getting paid. Sac's given him his opportunity to grow and develop (especially after the departure of Demarcus Cousins), but he most likely has reached his ceiling. I really like WCS, but he is so lax on the defensive end. The Kings deserve a center who can play with consistency and that can actually be on the floor in crunch-time. If only he could have reached the potential to be a Clint Capella type. Maybe, then, I could see giving him his payday.

Since you're a die hard Kings fan, I guess you know about some of the things you are talking about, but that doesn't mean you are right. What bugs me is how Kings fans rationalize their team. I can see fans being optimistic and positive about their team, but the Kings have a history of a revolving door for head coaches. That is fact and Joerger was a successful coach. Mike Malone did okay, too, in his stint with the team, but he lost his job, too. I really don't think all of this is a good situation for a young team with talent. I'm not a Bagley fan, but I cannot argue against his success his first year. The only neg I can come up with is he was injured a few times. Anyway, it's a round about way of saying I would not like to see him at the pivot if I was a Kings fan; he is more likely to be injured there than at the PF spot.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
DieHardKingsFan
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#19 » by DieHardKingsFan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:23 pm

jason bourne wrote:
DieHardKingsFan wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:All truth.

Since you're a die hard Kings fan, I guess you know about some of the things you are talking about, but that doesn't mean you are right. What bugs me is how Kings fans rationalize their team. I can see fans being optimistic and positive about their team, but the Kings have a history of a revolving door for head coaches. That is fact and Joerger was a successful coach. Mike Malone did okay, too, in his stint with the team, but he lost his job, too. I really don't think all of this is a good situation for a young team with talent. I'm not a Bagley fan, but I cannot argue against his success his first year. The only neg I can come up with is he was injured a few times. Anyway, it's a round about way of saying I would not like to see him at the pivot if I was a Kings fan; he is more likely to be injured there than at the PF spot.

Why would 'how Kings fans rationalize their team' bug you? I don't claim to be right, but yes I do hold optimism and positivity like any good fan. Kings fans have the heart and continual belief in our small-market team even when the pundits put us down & the odds are stacked against us--facing juggernauts of the NBA like your all-star roster Warriors. I'd like to think Kings fans are realists. We know people view us as a cow-town, a one major sport team with little to offer. So, yeah, blame us for being 'rational' (or even irrational) when viewing our team as something more.

As for the revolving door of coaches, I totally agree with you. But, under the Vlade administration, the move to fire Dave Joerger is, at least, debatable. Dave was a very good play call-maker out of timeouts and did well to transition to an up-tempo offense because of the youthful players he had to work with (especially surprising since he came from a prior Memphis Grizzlies slow "Grit 'n Grind" offense where trust was put in trodden-filled veterans). But, what was disappointing was his personnel, in-game subbing decisions, and inability to see/read what other teams were doing defensively. Not to mention, continuing to start Nemanja Bjelica at power forward even after Marvin Bagley (the #2 overall draft-pick) had clearly shown to outplay/shine Nemanja. His lack of foresight to make such an obvious move revealed a lot. To me, you just don't draft a guy so high to have him sit on the bench. By the way, I do agree that Bagley makes for a better PF than C right now. Even in college, he played with Wendell Carter who was more of the center than he was. I do think the decision to hire Luke Walton as Head Coach is a tough, calculable decision to have made. Maybe Vlade felt that the limited success Joerger had in 3 years not netting a playoff appearance was enough of a chance.
Or, maybe, Vlade viewed Joerger's compliments about Luka Doncic as turncoat. Who knows? Or maybe, it's just a timing thing...just as he swooped in and hired Dave after being fired from the Grizzlies, he did the same with an even more youthful Walton who happens to be his friend, too. It all remains to be seen, but supposedly Walton works well with young players and the Lakers did run a similar downhill breaking offense like the Kings; and were slightly more fast-paced and had more team possessions per game than the Kings. However, his job is still uncertain because of the current joint NBA/Kings investigation of the sexual misconduct accusation.
enderwilson
Pro Prospect
And1: 152

Post#20 » by enderwilson » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:08 am

23artest23 wrote:WCS strikes me as stupid. I mean that literally...the guy just comes across as being stupid.

100%

To put it another way, Willie has all the physical gifts to be one of the leagues best rim protecting bigs outside of Rudy Goober. This would be his ticket for "getting paid". The fact that he doesn't 'get it' or would rather struggle to be the kind of player that he's clearly not, should speak loud and clear about his level of intelligence.

Return to Wiretap Discussion