Sources Insist Kevin Durant Remains Undecided On Free Agent Decision

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Sources Insist Kevin Durant Remains Undecided On Free Agent Decision 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:36 pm

Kevin Durant has yet to make a final decision on which team he'll sign with this offseason, sources that spoke with Anthony Slater of The Athletic insist.

The possibility of Durant signing with the Brooklyn Nets "is legit" while the New York Knicks "still have hope" despite being "one-time favorites" who became "a victim of variables."

Durant intends to demand a full max contract, which could either be $221 million over five years with the Golden State Warriors, or $164 million over four seasons with a rival team. The $57 million is almost entirely for the final season when he would be locked in to earn at least $50.3 million for age-35 season.

Via Anthony Slater/The Athletic

inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,843

Re: Sources Insist Kevin Durant Remains Undecided On Free Agent Decision 

Post#2 » by inquisitive » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:27 pm

What off court deals can he get by signing with Knicks or nets to makeup for that 57 mil
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#3 » by donemilio21 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:28 pm

I think there is a little misrepresentation of numbers here.
Warriors can give him $44m a year, while another team can give him $41m a year. Just by signing with a team in a low or no tax state, he can make up that $3m difference.
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#4 » by RipCityKJ » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:30 pm

inquisitive wrote:What off court deals can he get by signing with Knicks or nets to makeup for that 57 mil

Local Sponsorships in NYC could easily add up to that. Some Wall Street douches would drop a million in no time to just play a pick up a game with him. Other than Silicon Valley there is no shortage of useless cash like there is in NYC
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#5 » by Samurai » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:28 pm

donemilio21 wrote:I think there is a little misrepresentation of numbers here.
Warriors can give him $44m a year, while another team can give him $41m a year. Just by signing with a team in a low or no tax state, he can make up that $3m difference.

How does the tax difference make up for the 5th year GSW can offer that other teams cannot? Just want to make sure the numbers aren't being misrepresented.
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#6 » by Temuhjan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:36 pm

Would KD return as Prime KD one year from now?
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,336

Post#7 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:17 pm

If true, this says to me he doesn’t like any of his options. He wants to be in NY but doesn’t want to go to the Nets, he wants to go to the Knicks but they suck too much + Dolan, and his time with the Warriors has run its course.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 773

Post#8 » by donemilio21 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:56 pm

Samurai wrote:

How does the tax difference make up for the 5th year GSW can offer that other teams cannot? Just want to make sure the numbers aren't being misrepresented.

Why does 5th year matter? He could easily sign another contract to make up for it after the 4 year deal is over. Jordan signed a $30m a year deal at age 35, and that was more than two decades ago.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,892

Post#9 » by Samurai » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:39 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
Samurai wrote:

Why does 5th year matter? He could easily sign another contract to make up for it after the 4 year deal is over. Jordan signed a $30m a year deal at age 35, and that was more than two decades ago.

It matters if you are coming off a major injury and want the guarantee up front in case you don't get a big offer later. Or if you will be 34-35 after 4 years and not sure what your offers will be then. But sure, if you are 25 and are not concerned about injury then it may not matter to you.

Return to Wiretap Discussion