Knicks To Meet With Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard At Start Of Free Agency

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Knicks To Meet With Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard At Start Of Free Agency 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:22 pm

The New York Knicks are expected to meet with Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard at the start of free agency on June 30th.

The Knicks will then head to Los Angeles to meet with other targets.

The Knicks had been considered the favorite to sign Durant, but it is unclear how the situation has changed since his Achilles injury and the reporting that Kyrie Irving plans to sign with the Brooklyn Nets.

Leonard is considered a longer shot target for the Knicks.

Via Frank Isola/The Athletic

Mak
RealGM
And1: 4,569

Re: Knicks To Meet With Kevin Durant, Kawhi Leonard At Start Of Free Agency 

Post#2 » by Mak » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:51 pm

Right right.... Knicks will be meeting with Uncle Dennis over the Facetime. :lol:
Sky High
Sixth Man
And1: 280

Post#3 » by Sky High » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:16 pm

Oh, Knicks. This is just adorable. :roll:
Morse Code
Head Coach
And1: 8,435

Post#4 » by Morse Code » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:33 pm

I'll believe it when it see it. Such a desperate media.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#5 » by BigHustle » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:36 pm

No matter how rich you are there is nothing like a free del friscos steak. May as well stop there on the way to LAC.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#6 » by nedleeds » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:59 pm

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I can't believe these clowns are thinking of signing Durant. This is completely insane.

Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
Galou
Pro Prospect
And1: 643

Post#7 » by Galou » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:23 pm

:banghead: :nonono:
F$+*k the Nets.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,744

Post#8 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:33 pm

Mak wrote:Right right.... Knicks will be meeting with Uncle Dennis over the Facetime. :lol:

According to Broussard that's a 'face to face meeting'.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#9 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:34 pm

Morse Code wrote:I'll believe it when it see it. Such a desperate media.

Who knew Raptor fans would become the new conspiracy theorists?
Morse Code
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Morse Code » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:02 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:

Who knew the guy named mad max media would be a media apologist.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#11 » by anatomicbomb » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:15 pm

I thought KD wasn't taking any meetings. Didn't he make a point of saying that, like meeting to discuss was beneath him?

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,328

Post#12 » by drekwins » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:33 pm

anatomicbomb wrote:I thought KD wasn't taking any meetings. Didn't he make a point of saying that, like meeting to discuss was beneath him?

Well, you need to meet in person to sign the contract. Then, straight to Kawhi with the paperwork to show him that KD is locked up.

Once that fails, then out to LA to catch a meeting with Klay, Kemba, etc.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#13 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:34 pm

Morse Code wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

I just don't think it's such a big deal if he takes some meeting, or plans to take a meeting, or is reportedly thinking about planning to take a meeting, or whatever. I mean you have other Raptor fans saying of course he'll take some meetings out of respect, then re-sign in Toronto anyway.

I don't really care about the media either way. I guess I just don't really see how talking heads speculating about this or that would have an impact on Kawhi. Media is out to get clicks for themselves, not push some deep agenda against the Raptors. Talking about a FA leaving will always get more interest than talking about a guy staying, regardless of the team.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#14 » by br7knicks » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:47 pm

why waste each other's time?
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Im Coming Home
RealGM
And1: 16,566

Post#15 » by Im Coming Home » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:25 pm

Look at all these people commenting like its not the truth.

They announced it, its not a random guess. Knicks will be meeting KD and Kawhi at the start of free agency baby!
RGM Knicks BAF- Houston Rockets

PG: Cunningham | Suggs |
SG: Au Thompson | Rupert |
SF: Griffin | Reddish
PF: Avdija | Prince| Bertans
C: Lively II | Smith
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#16 » by cheese318 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:11 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
Morse Code wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

I just don't think it's such a big deal if he takes some meeting, or plans to take a meeting, or is reportedly thinking about planning to take a meeting, or whatever. I mean you have other Raptor fans saying of course he'll take some meetings out of respect, then re-sign in Toronto anyway.

I don't really care about the media either way. I guess I just don't really see how talking heads speculating about this or that would have an impact on Kawhi. Media is out to get clicks for themselves, not push some deep agenda against the Raptors. Talking about a FA leaving will always get more interest than talking about a guy staying, regardless of the team.

He never wanted to stay in TOR. So to take a meeting only gives the odds he leaves a lot more. You want him to sign right away. Remember PG13 never wanted OKC. What did he do last year right as free agency began? Had a party with Russ/OKC management announcing his new contract in which he wouldn’t meet with any other teams. Lakers might get a meeting as well as long as they have the max. I don’t care what the media says but AD/LBJ might have a meeting of three minds to discuss if this would be possibly a team that could work. I think he wouldn’t not show up and give it some thought. Most likely go to LAC if he just wants his own team
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#17 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:36 pm

cheese318 wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
Morse Code wrote:Who knew the guy named mad max media would be a media apologist.

He never wanted to stay in TOR. So to take a meeting only gives the odds he leaves a lot more. You want him to sign right away. Remember PG13 never wanted OKC. What did he do last year right as free agency began? Had a party with Russ/OKC management announcing his new contract in which he wouldn’t meet with any other teams. Lakers might get a meeting as well as long as they have the max. I don’t care what the media says but AD/LBJ might have a meeting of three minds to discuss if this would be possibly a team that could work. I think he wouldn’t not show up and give it some thought. Most likely go to LAC if he just wants his own team

Oh yeah, that he's taking meetings would be meaningful in that I would say it means it's not 100% he's staying Toronto. It could still be 90% staying, or 10% (meaning probably leaving), or anywhere in between though, we don't really know.

My point was just that this whole idea of sports media reporting fake news to influence free agent decisions is overbaked IMO. All the major sports leagues want to attract fans' interests year-round, 30 years ago they didn't televise draft combines or even the drafts themselves, or make such a big deal about free agency. At the end of the day KD, KL, etc. are all gonna play where they think is best for themselves (and more power to them), the rest is just a way for leagues to keep fans following- and it's working.
Morse Code
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Morse Code » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:39 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
cheese318 wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

Oh yeah, that he's taking meetings would be meaningful in that I would say it means it's not 100% he's staying Toronto. It could still be 90% staying, or 10% (meaning probably leaving), or anywhere in between though, we don't really know.

My point was just that this whole idea of sports media reporting fake news to influence free agent decisions is overbaked IMO. All the major sports leagues want to attract fans' interests year-round, 30 years ago they didn't televise draft combines or even the drafts themselves, or make such a big deal about free agency. At the end of the day KD, KL, etc. are all gonna play where they think is best for themselves (and more power to them), the rest is just a way for leagues to keep fans following- and it's working.

I don't think their motivation is to influence free agent's decisions. I think they do it to peak interest and get clicks from fans in those major markets.

Return to Wiretap Discussion