Blazers Acquire Hassan Whiteside From Heat For Mo Harkless, Meyers Leonard

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Blazers Acquire Hassan Whiteside From Heat For Mo Harkless, Meyers Leonard 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jul 1, 2019 4:58 pm

The Portland Trail Blazers have agreed to acquire Hassan Whiteside from the Miami Heat for Mo Harkless and Meyers Leonard.

Whiteside will start at center for the Blazers while Jusuf Nurkic recovers from his broken leg.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

gh123
Sixth Man
And1: 1,197

Re: Blazers Acquire Hassan Whiteside From Heat For Mo Harkless, Meyers Leonard 

Post#2 » by gh123 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:07 pm

Is it Hassan's last year? Coz if not, I see beef with Nurkic over the playing time, like it happened in Miami and Denver.
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#3 » by RipCityKJ » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:10 pm

Neil Olshey is killing it, small but effective moves to a team that made it the WCF was the perfect way to play this off-season and unloading Meyers is a dream come true! Good riddance to the softest 7ft player ever, can’t wait to hear the first story of how Jimmy Butler made him cry lol.
RipCityKJ
Senior

Post#4 » by RipCityKJ » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:50 pm

gh123 wrote:Is it Hassan's last year? Coz if not, I see beef with Nurkic over the playing time, like it happened in Miami and Denver.

It is, with him and bazemore the Blazers will have 45 million in expiring deals next season. Nurk won’t be back until about the all star break and he will be far from 100% that will take another year so Whiteside is a great filler for the year. If they can bring back Kanter they would have real depth going into the playoffs.
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,305

Post#5 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:02 pm

Underrated player that has been stuck on a bad Miami team. He brings that old school Center presence down low. Gobbles up rebounds, blocks shots, and can score in the post a little bit. Look for Dame to Whiteside alley oop highlights this season... with a motivated Whiteside, this is a good pickup for Portland for a year, as his contract is expiring as well.
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,210

Post#6 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:29 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:
gh123 wrote:Is it Hassan's last year? Coz if not, I see beef with Nurkic over the playing time, like it happened in Miami and Denver.

It is, with him and bazemore the Blazers will have 45 million in expiring deals next season. Nurk won’t be back until about the all star break and he will be far from 100% that will take another year so Whiteside is a great filler for the year. If they can bring back Kanter they would have real depth going into the playoffs.

Whiteside is not a player I would want in most situations, at least not at those $$. But this is actually an amazing deal for the Blazers. They get off of Leonard's contract and bring back a starting caliber center that also happens to be expiring. Hassan can start until Nurkic returns and if Nurkic returns to form in time they can trade Whiteside's expiring for a player of need at the deadline. Worst case scenario they hang onto his expiring and have cap space next summer. Win/win!
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#7 » by Elnegron » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:34 pm

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:Underrated player that has been stuck on a bad Miami team. He brings that old school Center presence down low. Gobbles up rebounds, blocks shots, and can score in the post a little bit. Look for Dame to Whiteside alley oop highlights this season... with a motivated Whiteside, this is a good pickup for Portland for a year, as his contract is expiring as well.

Lmao u clearly not a heat fan. Hassan will give u 3 good games and follow up with 5 blah games. If whiteside had the desire and work ethic of lebron james, whiteside would be a top 10 player in the league even without shooting a single 3. U wanna see empty stats? Watch whiteside play
Grumpy Heat Fan
General Manager
And1: 8,305

Post#8 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:37 pm

Dame Lillard to Whiteside for the alleyoop highlight reel next season!
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
RipCityKJ
Senior

Post#9 » by RipCityKJ » Mon Jul 1, 2019 7:58 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
RipCityKJ wrote:

Whiteside is not a player I would want in most situations, at least not at those $$. But this is actually an amazing deal for the Blazers. They get off of Leonard's contract and bring back a starting caliber center that also happens to be expiring. Hassan can start until Nurkic returns and if Nurkic returns to form in time they can trade Whiteside's expiring for a player of need at the deadline. Worst case scenario they hang onto his expiring and have cap space next summer. Win/win!

45million in cap space either going into the deadline or into free agency while having Dame, CJ, Nurk and your young talent all locked into multi year contracts should be really appealing to another star player.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#10 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 9:00 pm

Agree that the cap space we'll be alluring, but Whiteside takes too much time off mentally and physically. Would have loved to see Kanter back (till Nurkster gets better), or someone with more skills from deep or own low. Richuan Holmes anyone?
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#11 » by anatomicbomb » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:06 pm

So Miami is going to be Butler + Dragic? That's kind of a sad roster. Was no one else offering Butler a max deal?

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.

Return to Wiretap Discussion