Lakers Will Need To Delay Anthony Davis Trade To Continue Waiting For Kawhi Leonard

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Lakers Will Need To Delay Anthony Davis Trade To Continue Waiting For Kawhi Leonard 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:08 am

The Los Angeles Lakers may need to delay the execution of the Anthony Davis trade with the New Orleans Pelicans in order to continue their wait for Kawhi Leonard's decision.

The Pelicans, Atlanta Hawks and Washington Wizards will need to cooperate with the Lakers, which league sources tell Bobby Marks they're prepared to do.

The deal was based on the Lakers using the $32 million in cap space created on a max free agent, such as Leonard or on other players available.

The Lakers can currently offer Leonard a four-year, $138 million deal, whereas they would only be able to offer a four-year, $127 million deal once the Davis trade is executed. 

Via Ohm Youngmisuk, Bobby Marks/ESPN

Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Re: Lakers Will Need To Delay Anthony Davis Trade To Continue Waiting For Kawhi Leonard 

Post#2 » by Elnegron » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:23 am

Not even 142?. Kawhi is not as marketable as lebron so he better get all the money he can get 5/190 52 millions more than the lakers
QWERTYUIOP1248
Ballboy
And1: 2

Re: Lakers Will Need To Delay Anthony Davis Trade To Continue Waiting For Kawhi Leonard 

Post#3 » by QWERTYUIOP1248 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:52 am

Elnegron wrote:Not even 142?. Kawhi is not as marketable as Lebron so he better get all the money he can get 5/190 52 millions more than the lakers

yes true, but, that last year; year 5 would be (if he signs with the lakers or clippers) the first year of another max, and if you factor in Canadian taxes he would actually lose money.
(this is Chris Broussard's point, not mine)
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#4 » by Sam195 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:54 am

Elnegron wrote:Not even 142?. Kawhi is not as marketable as lebron so he better get all the money he can get 5/190 52 millions more than the lakers

Do you live in Canada? Come up North - Kawhi is the most hyped thing here since Gretzky. He is more popular than our PM and if he resigns don't be surprised if his following exceeds that of Sydney Crosby and Connor McDavid who are nhl superstars. Kawhi if he stays will probably have to hire multiple business managers in addition to Uncle Dennis to mange the flurry of endorsement deals he is being offered. Poor IT4 he must be watching tv and realizing Kawhi is actually having a Brinks truck backing up into his driveway.
Ayuandmi
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#5 » by Ayuandmi » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:54 am

This stud is either testing Lakers to see how far they will go to get him, or he just wants to screw them over so he has a chance to win another one with the Raptors..

Which one is it?
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#6 » by Vegeta10176 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 2:58 am

QWERTYUIOP1248 wrote:
Elnegron wrote:Not even 142?. Kawhi is not as marketable as Lebron so he better get all the money he can get 5/190 52 millions more than the lakers

yes true, but, that last year; year 5 would be (if he signs with the lakers or clippers) the first year of another max, and if you factor in Canadian taxes he would actually lose money.

This is just fact.. He pays extra 11 mill in taxes over first 4 yrs of the deal with Toronto so makes more in Laker land that said that is how taxes should work in the US anyway but ahh well.. The point is he will get enormous money anywhere but where does he want to live for the next 4 to 5 years
Sam195
Analyst

Post#7 » by Sam195 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:00 am

Ayuandmi wrote:This stud is either testing Lakers to see how far they will go to get him, or he just wants to screw them over so he has a chance to win another one with the Raptors..

Which one is it?

Lakers are delusional this whole Kawhi pursuit reminds me of 2013 when they were in complete denial that Dwight Howard would even entertain the possibility of leaving their franchise for less money to go join the Rockets after the disaster of a season they had. They thought Dwight was coming back every second of every day till he changed his twitter avatar to one with him in a Rockets Jersey like a day or two before he had a press conference in Houston to announce the signing. Kawhi is not interested in the celebrity circus and attention superstars get in big markets like Dwight was at the time so I don't know how much legalized California pot the front office, Magic and the ownership have been smoking if they still think he is interested. To the lakers Kawhi is like a hot girl you see at the club who when you walk over to flirt she tells you her boyfriend is parking his car lmfao. Lakers and Lebron need to take the message or they just going to be left catching air.
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,695

Post#8 » by binjumper » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:16 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:
QWERTYUIOP1248 wrote:

This is just fact.. He pays extra 11 mill in taxes over first 4 yrs of the deal with Toronto so makes more in Laker land that said that is how taxes should work in the US anyway but ahh well.. The point is he will get enormous money anywhere but where does he want to live for the next 4 to 5 years

This isn't fact at all
Cali taxes are a little bit higher.
Liberal
Assistant Coach
And1: 97

Post#9 » by Liberal » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:50 am

Sounds to me like there's potential for Kawhi to be added to the AD trade and get a 5 year contract with a sign and trade.

[F] Spicy P : Khem : Precious
[F] Scottie : Boucher
[F] OG : Scottie
[G] GTJ : Freddy
[G] Freddy : Banton : Flynn
Apz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Post#10 » by Apz » Sat Jul 6, 2019 3:54 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:
QWERTYUIOP1248 wrote:

If he was worried about taxes he would go to Mavs
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#11 » by Vegeta10176 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:11 am

Apz wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:
QWERTYUIOP1248 wrote:

If he was worried about taxes he would go to Mavs

Good point and I don't see that as a driving factor the money is it driving him here is life style choices and trust plus he is indecisive..
Sam195
Analyst

Post#12 » by Sam195 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 4:56 am

binjumper wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:
QWERTYUIOP1248 wrote:

This isn't fact at all
Cali taxes are a little bit higher.

Fox expanded their fake news coverage to Sports - that fraud Chris Broussard intentionally cites a Forbes article where the bias writer describes the worst situation for an American living in California most of the year while employed in Canada and paying the most taxes legally possible. There was no attempt to explore the mechanisms to minimize said individual's tax burden like what a hired and certified accountant would do. Canada and US have a tax treaty where citizens of one country are not double taxed if they claim residency in the other. There is also only a 15% US Federal withholding tax for US citizens on signing bonuses via employment from corporations and sports teams whether domiciled in US or Canada . Kawhi owns a large mansion in San Diego so the writer assumes he will declare residency in California or at least that state will claim he does.

The only issue with that is the idiotic writer did not factor in the fact Kawhi just had a baby - a son born in Toronto who is an automatic Canadian citizen by birth. That event alone combined with the fact Kawhi is employed in Canada via his contract with the Raptors puts him in the express lane to apply for Canadian Permanent Residency (he can still be a US citizen without ever pursuing a Canadian one). In this scenario, Kawhi will be able to pay Canadian Federal and Provincial taxes (that combined are lower than the US Federal and California state rates combined) as a resident of Ontario. US citizens regardless of their residency even if in another country are required to file a tax return with the IRS and pay US Federal taxes. Kawhi will pay only 15% US Federal tax on his annual salary that is paid in signing bonuses (nba allows 15% bonuses per season). He will then pay normal US Federal rates and Canadian Federal and provincial rates on the remaining 85% of his salary. However the Canadian Federal taxes paid will be deducted as a credit from the US Federal tax Kawhi owes in total (15% on the signing bonus and whatever US tax bracket I assume the top one that he is in for the remaining 85%) thus meeting the purpose of the treaty to avoid double taxation. Kawhi will pay Ontario provincial income taxes for the 41 Raptors home games and any home playoff game bonuses. He will pay US state income taxes wherever the road games including 41 in the regular season and any in the playoffs take place like every other player. If Kawhi chooses to keep his San Diego crib as an offseason and holiday home then he will obviously be required to pay the property taxes and utilities billed to it in California. I believe the US recently capped the state and local Federal tax deduction (state income and property) in the US to punish Blue states at just $10K total which is a drop in the bucket for a millionaire pro-athlete like Kawhi so won't impact his situation either if he chooses to declare residency in Canada. The taxes in California as a state are much higher than the taxes in Ontario as a province and add to that the conditions on foreign signing bonuses and Kawhi will actually pay less taxes as a Raptor than a laker. Raptors should sue Fox Sports for defamation in this key free agent period especially when other sports publications like ESPN chose not to run this trash because they better vet their sports journalism.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,930

Post#13 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 5:07 am

There is no way I'd "go along" to accommodate the Lakers so they can sign Leonard! They've had a week now. If he can't make up his mind that's their problem. The 4th pick Hunter is with the Hawks, they are not waiting on LAL to convince KL to sign up. :crazy:
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#14 » by cheese318 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 5:20 am

Sam195 wrote:
Ayuandmi wrote:This stud is either testing Lakers to see how far they will go to get him, or he just wants to screw them over so he has a chance to win another one with the Raptors..

Which one is it?

Lakers are delusional this whole Kawhi pursuit reminds me of 2013 when they were in complete denial that Dwight Howard would even entertain the possibility of leaving their franchise for less money to go join the Rockets after the disaster of a season they had. They thought Dwight was coming back every second of every day till he changed his twitter avatar to one with him in a Rockets Jersey like a day or two before he had a press conference in Houston to announce the signing. Kawhi is not interested in the celebrity circus and attention superstars get in big markets like Dwight was at the time so I don't know how much legalized California pot the front office, Magic and the ownership have been smoking if they still think he is interested. To the lakers Kawhi is like a hot girl you see at the club who when you walk over to flirt she tells you her boyfriend is parking his car lmfao. Lakers and Lebron need to take the message or they just going to be left catching air.

So explain to me what’s taking so long if he truly doesn’t want anything to do with the celebrity of LALALA Land? You do realize the two teams besides TOR is in LA. I don’t know what the man will do. I do think TOR is in the lead but I also believe any of the three teams can win his services. I don’t think he wants to sign on for Toronto for 4-5 years but that’s just my opinion. The fact you act like you think you know what this man wants when reporters who do this for a living have no clue is the best part. Hopefully we find out tomorrow and if you are right I will give you kudos and if you were are wrong I’ll point and laugh
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#15 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 5:39 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:
QWERTYUIOP1248 wrote:

Does this factor in California State income tax? Highest in the USA. They are raising their gas tax and their sales tax is also the highest in the country.
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by cheese318 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 5:56 am

cheese318 wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

Which one is it?

So explain to me what’s taking so long if he truly doesn’t want anything to do with the celebrity of LALALA Land? You do realize the two teams besides TOR is in LA. I don’t know what the man will do. I do think TOR is in the lead but I also believe any of the three teams can win his services. I don’t think he wants to sign on for Toronto for 4-5 years but that’s just my opinion. The fact you act like you think you know what this man wants when reporters who do this for a living have no clue is the best part. Hopefully we find out tomorrow and if you are right I will give you kudos and if you were are wrong I’ll point and laugh

Looks like he is going LALALA LAND. Just not with the purple and gold.
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
basketballwacko2
RealGM

Post#17 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:11 am

Well so much for that! Kawhi and PG to the Clippers!! 8-)
H00PDREAMS
Veteran
And1: 112

Post#18 » by H00PDREAMS » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:13 am

Clippers? Are we in LA going to care?
cheese318
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by cheese318 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 6:50 am

cheese318 wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

Which one is it?

Hoopzilla wrote:
likashing
Head Coach
And1: 1,959

Post#20 » by likashing » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:09 am

Omg Davis just gave up $87m passing on the supermax, another $4m on the trade bonus, 1 year of his prime busy having LeBron Inc force a trade and sitting out etc, while LeBron isn’t taking 1 cent less.

Just to get into Space Jam 2.

I wonder what LeBron Inc fed him.
Mark Jackson wrote:Playoff preparation is overrated... I’m going to get my rest. I’m not going to grow old and be stressed out and get gray hair.

Return to Wiretap Discussion