Jimmer Fredette Signs With Panathinaikos

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 62,694
And1: 169
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

Jimmer Fredette Signs With Panathinaikos 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:14 am

Jimmer Fredette has signed with Panathinaikos in Greece.


Fredette finished last season playing for the Phoenix Suns after his season in China ended.


Fredette briefly played for the Golden State Warriors in Summer League.

Via Keith Smith/RealGM

User avatar
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
Posts: 12,313
And1: 8,925
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: Jimmer Fredette Signs With Panathinaikos 

Post#2 » by Winsome Gerbil » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:53 am

NOOOOO!!!

We've lost him again!

Truly an international ambassador of goodwill for the game, however.
ozthegap
Senior
Posts: 542
And1: 112
Joined: Jul 01, 2015
 

Re: Jimmer Fredette Signs With Panathinaikos 

Post#3 » by ozthegap » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:57 am

Why is this bust from like a decade ago still news?
lonea
Sophomore
Posts: 181
And1: 49
Joined: Jan 16, 2012

Re: Jimmer Fredette Signs With Panathinaikos 

Post#4 » by lonea » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:03 am

is he a bust when he made millions playing basketball while you are sitting in front of the computer calling him a bust...

ozthegap wrote:Why is this bust from like a decade ago still news?
ozthegap
Senior
Posts: 542
And1: 112
Joined: Jul 01, 2015
 

Re: Jimmer Fredette Signs With Panathinaikos 

Post#5 » by ozthegap » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:08 am

lonea wrote:is he a bust when he made millions playing basketball while you are sitting in front of the computer calling him a bust...

ozthegap wrote:Why is this bust from like a decade ago still news?


my not being a basketball player doesn't make him any less of a bust. he is a bust in comparison of what he was supposed to be. and the millions he made are nothing compared to what he was supposed to have made.
User avatar
IAMZOOTED2
Senior
Posts: 716
And1: 246
Joined: Mar 05, 2017
 

Re: Jimmer Fredette Signs With Panathinaikos 

Post#6 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:55 am

Jimmer gets buckets, man. Can't believe teams are giving dudes like Monta Ellis a second look and passing Jimmer by. He's younger, fitter, and plays better defense (than Ellis, anyway). He might be a hair smaller as well, but still....
User avatar
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
Posts: 10,816
And1: 2,654
Joined: Mar 01, 2005
 

Re: Jimmer Fredette Signs With Panathinaikos 

Post#7 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:44 am

ozthegap wrote:Why is this bust from like a decade ago still news?


Because he still plays good basketball, he just hasn't been given the chance to be a scorer in the NBA.
PockyCandy wrote:Is Ball's shot any more ugly than Curry's? Curry just seems to launch it towards the basket like an 8 year old.
lonea
Sophomore
Posts: 181
And1: 49
Joined: Jan 16, 2012

Re: Jimmer Fredette Signs With Panathinaikos 

Post#8 » by lonea » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:39 am

so can I call you a bust because you could've been 10x what you are now when you came out of your mother... :crazy:

the point is you call him a bust while hes making millions doing what he love, and what are you doing in life ? :crazy: :crazy:

ozthegap wrote:
lonea wrote:is he a bust when he made millions playing basketball while you are sitting in front of the computer calling him a bust...

ozthegap wrote:Why is this bust from like a decade ago still news?


my not being a basketball player doesn't make him any less of a bust. he is a bust in comparison of what he was supposed to be. and the millions he made are nothing compared to what he was supposed to have made.
Jannemann1975
Ballboy
Posts: 2
And1: 1
Joined: Jun 23, 2019

Re: Jimmer Fredette Signs With Panathinaikos 

Post#9 » by Jannemann1975 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:40 am

ozthegap wrote:Why is this bust from like a decade ago still news?


:crazy: Jimmer is everything but a bust. He didn‘t get a fair chance in the NBA but proofed overseas what he is capable of.

The NBA - with all the international influence - is not the only league, where basketball is played on a high level. Leagues like in Spain, Italy, Greece and Germany are really buzzing aswell.

So don‘t be ignorant or call him out for a One-on-One. Let‘s the who the bust is then. :D
ozthegap
Senior
Posts: 542
And1: 112
Joined: Jul 01, 2015
 

Re: Jimmer Fredette Signs With Panathinaikos 

Post#10 » by ozthegap » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:57 am

man you guys sure are on his nuts
User avatar
Kimiko
Senior
Posts: 535
And1: 997
Joined: Aug 17, 2014
 

Re: Jimmer Fredette Signs With Panathinaikos 

Post#11 » by Kimiko » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:03 pm

Why does Jimmer get all this media buzz? What about all those great black college players that never made in the league, why don't they get the same push?
User avatar
DWadeno3
RealGM
Posts: 11,374
And1: 2,892
Joined: Nov 27, 2009

Re: Jimmer Fredette Signs With Panathinaikos 

Post#12 » by DWadeno3 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:40 pm

Kimiko wrote:Why does Jimmer get all this media buzz? What about all those great black college players that never made in the league, why don't they get the same push?


:lol: Plenty of them do.
Image

#HeatLifer
Dasein
Junior
Posts: 466
And1: 336
Joined: Dec 08, 2012

Re: Jimmer Fredette Signs With Panathinaikos 

Post#13 » by Dasein » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:07 pm

Jannemann1975 wrote:
ozthegap wrote:Why is this bust from like a decade ago still news?


:crazy: Jimmer is everything but a bust. He didn‘t get a fair chance in the NBA but proofed overseas what he is capable of.

The NBA - with all the international influence - is not the only league, where basketball is played on a high level. Leagues like in Spain, Italy, Greece and Germany are really buzzing aswell.

So don‘t be ignorant or call him out for a One-on-One. Let‘s the who the bust is then. :D


Dude what are you talking about. Did you see him play in Summer League this summer on the Warriors? He was struggling against G-league players. He is not an NBA player. Just stop.
HomegrownRebel wrote: I'd rather have John Wall, Bradley Beal, Marcin Gortat, Nene, and Paul Pierce than the Warriors team. And you can keep thinking Durant would come there. Very doubtful. He loves his hometown and area. Why would he want to live closer to fruitcakes?
dubbmotta
Ballboy
Posts: 47
And1: 12
Joined: Oct 19, 2017

Re: Jimmer Fredette Signs With Panathinaikos 

Post#14 » by dubbmotta » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:52 pm

He looked really bad in his one game in summer league. Couldn't get his shot off fast enough, take anyone off the dribble and struggled on D...he realize this and quit after the first game...True Story.
whiskyditka
Ballboy
Posts: 3
And1: 0
Joined: Jun 19, 2019

Re: Jimmer Fredette Signs With Panathinaikos 

Post#15 » by whiskyditka » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:35 pm

ozthegap wrote:Why is this bust from like a decade ago still news?


Not sure how you can call him a bust. He's simply undersized for the NBA.

He's averaged 36PPG as an international player, made $8.6M+ over the course of 8 seasons in the NBA and another couple million outside of the NBA (China and now Greece, $TBD), and even launched his own shoe line in China.

If that's considered a bust by your standards, sign me up to be a bust. I'm in.
ozthegap
Senior
Posts: 542
And1: 112
Joined: Jul 01, 2015
 

Re: Jimmer Fredette Signs With Panathinaikos 

Post#16 » by ozthegap » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:30 pm

whiskyditka wrote:
ozthegap wrote:Why is this bust from like a decade ago still news?


Not sure how you can call him a bust. He's simply undersized for the NBA.

He's averaged 36PPG as an international player, made $8.6M+ over the course of 8 seasons in the NBA and another couple million outside of the NBA (China and now Greece, $TBD), and even launched his own shoe line in China.

If that's considered a bust by your standards, sign me up to be a bust. I'm in.


hes tried to get back in the league with several teams several teams and no team gives him quality minutes. that means by NBA standards he cant cut it = NBA BUST. What does the fact he made money have to do with him being a bust. plebty of busts made money. most of that money was on his rookie contract which since he was a lottery pick was guaranteed to be a certain amount. and the amazingly crappy Sacramento kings gave up on him before that deal was even done. As far as China goes, that is where NBA players go when they cant cut it in the NBA anymore.
Anthoine
Freshman
Posts: 75
And1: 2
Joined: Aug 19, 2010

Re: Jimmer Fredette Signs With Panathinaikos 

Post#17 » by Anthoine » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:47 am

whiskyditka wrote:
ozthegap wrote:Why is this bust from like a decade ago still news?


Not sure how you can call him a bust. He's simply undersized for the NBA.

He's averaged 36PPG as an international player, made $8.6M+ over the course of 8 seasons in the NBA and another couple million outside of the NBA (China and now Greece, $TBD), and even launched his own shoe line in China.

If that's considered a bust by your standards, sign me up to be a bust. I'm in.



Hey google, define a “bust” in sports.

Google: a draft bust occurs when a highly touted or highly selected draftee does not meet expectations. This can be for a variety of reasons, but the most often noted are injury or inability to perform at a professional level. A player is also regarded as a larger bust if more successful players are drafted after him or her.



Tbh I’m not sure how or why you correlated how much he made in his career to what it means to be a bust in professional sports. The two literally have nothing to do with each other lol. There are plenty of players in all major sports that don’t live up to expectations and still have lengthy careers. They are still viewed as a bust.

In regards to your other point about his size. In the era where he was drafted I’m pretty sure Nate Robinson 5’8 was dunking on people and earl boykins 5’5 was benching 4 plates...fast forward to today’s nba, there are plenty of 6’2/6’3 guards in the nba...I’ll take feed vanvleet over jimmer any day of the week, not to mention Van is 2 inches shorter, undrafted and lighter...point being size wasn’t the issue.

Return to Wiretap Discussion