Adam Silver: NBA Needs 'Enforceable Rules' When It Comes To Tampering

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Adam Silver: NBA Needs 'Enforceable Rules' When It Comes To Tampering 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:15 am

Adam Silver addressed the issue of tampering during a news conference during Summer League, saying that the league needs to clarify rules when it comes to governing free agency.

"I think [teams are] put in difficult situations because when they're sitting across from a player and whether it's conversations that are happening earlier than they should or frankly things are being discussed that don't fall squarely within the collective bargaining agreement, it puts teams in a very difficult position...my job is to enforce a fair set of rules for all our teams and a set of rules that are clear and make sense for everyone. I think right now we're not quite there," said Silver.

Silver added that there's a consensus around the league to revisit and update tampering rules with the goal of creating a level playing field for all teams.

"I think it hurts the perception of integrity around the league if people say, 'Well, you have that rule and it's obvious that teams aren't fully complying, so why do you have it?' I think the sense in the room was we should revisit those rules, think about what does make sense for our teams so that ultimately we can create a level playing field among the teams and that the partner teams have confidence that their competitors are adhering to the same set of rules they are."

Via Tim Bontemps/ESPN

JR Hawks
Starter
And1: 897

Re: Adam Silver: NBA Needs 'Enforceable Rules' When It Comes To Tampering 

Post#2 » by JR Hawks » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:50 pm

It's amazing how weak Silver is.
CoachSant
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#3 » by CoachSant » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:55 pm

A level playing field would be nice
nicholas88
Sophomore
And1: 20

Post#4 » by nicholas88 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:19 pm

Yeah, I agree w/ Sliver here, as I usually do. But, I think they're more pressing issues to correct: 1) allowing players to completely dictate where and whom will they sign with; Creating disparity at will. While crippling franchises including disillusioning their fanbases in the process. One month their future is all laid out and bright, and the next they are in complete rebuild mode because they're not on a coast.
2) Also, having rookies not wearing their club's hat on draft night instead wearing the franchise's that dealt them. Additionally, having said rookies sit out of summer league because of the untimely trading periods/"rules," is unjustifiable. Both seem like a much greater dysfunction. Unless I am blurring the lines.

The former situation is harder to correct w/out curbing the vaunted player freedom/control that is much desired by players' counterparts of other major professional sports. As well as, the most likely draconian rules it would take to check such fanbase-numbing, player-franchise perfidy. The latter should be simple--change the dates to accommodate draft-day trades. What is preventing correction? I neither have an assumption nor the time to dedicate for developing one . . .
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#5 » by Cookin Baskets » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:22 am

Very Vague statement, how exactly is the nba going to make tampering more enforceable??
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!

Return to Wiretap Discussion