Ben Simmons Has Rose Rule Possibility In Extension, No Option On Year 5

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Ben Simmons Has Rose Rule Possibility In Extension, No Option On Year 5 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:00 pm

Details of the five-year, $170 million contract Ben Simmons signed with the Philadelphia 76ers have begun to leak.

Simmons does not have a player option in Year 5 of the deal, but he does have a 15 percent trade kicker.

Simons also has Designated Rookie Extension language in his contract that will increase his salary if he makes one of the All-NBA teams this season.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Re: Ben Simmons Has Rose Rule Possibility In Extension, No Option On Year 5 

Post#2 » by Elnegron » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:08 pm

Even worst for 76ers. The moment you want him to opt out but have no options Ben kardashian Simmons is set for life and don't need to work on his jumper
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,519

Post#3 » by dice » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:25 pm

Elnegron wrote:Even worst for 76ers. The moment you want him to opt out but have no options Ben kardashian Simmons is set for life and don't need to work on his jumper

i'm no fan of the contract, but that makes no sense. he would only opt out if he could get similar or more money elsewhere, in which case he will have earned his contract and they would want him to stay

and he was set for life the second he was drafted
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,703

Post#4 » by the_process » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:58 pm

I don’t like the trade kicker. But it won’t affect if the Sixers decide to try and flip him at some point in the next couple years. The rest seems like SOP.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#5 » by Vegeta10176 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:36 am

dice wrote:
Elnegron wrote:Even worst for 76ers. The moment you want him to opt out but have no options Ben kardashian Simmons is set for life and don't need to work on his jumper

i'm no fan of the contract, but that makes no sense. he would only opt out if he could get similar or more money elsewhere, in which case he will have earned his contract and they would want him to stay

Not a fan the guy has outplayed KAT and Wiggens both on max deals.. He is a tradeable assest if you wanted to do that he is one of the best young prospects in the NBA.. which player would you take ahead of Sinmins that is his age or younger.. You going to take Tatum I dont think so you going to take Mitchell a chucker whose defence is poor compared to simmons.. Zion has not played a game yet.. KP just got his extension and he can be better but is coming off a major injury... Luka would be a maybe he can shoot but for his size his defence is pretty poor..
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#6 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:06 am

Am I not reading this right? Or is it ya'll? No player option in year 5 seems like a plus for the Sixers, is it not? Does that mean the team controls the option? Whether or not he outperforms this contract, which I know some already feel is unlikely, not having that 5th year guaranteed puts the Sixers in the driver's seat toward the end it. Ben plays well, the Sixers have extension talks or opt him in. Ben plays poorly, the Sixers move on thru a sign/trade...
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
dice
RealGM

Post#7 » by dice » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:51 am

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:Am I not reading this right? Or is it ya'll? No player option in year 5 seems like a plus for the Sixers, is it not? Does that mean the team controls the option? Whether or not he outperforms this contract, which I know some already feel is unlikely, not having that 5th year guaranteed puts the Sixers in the driver's seat toward the end it. Ben plays well, the Sixers have extension talks or opt him in. Ben plays poorly, the Sixers move on thru a sign/trade...

the 5th year is guaranteed. he just can't opt out after year 4 to sign a new, bigger deal
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#8 » by dice » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:57 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:
dice wrote:

Not a fan the guy has outplayed KAT and Wiggens both on max deals.. He is a tradeable assest if you wanted to do that he is one of the best young prospects in the NBA.. which player would you take ahead of Sinmins that is his age or younger.. You going to take Tatum I dont think so you going to take Mitchell a chucker whose defence is poor compared to simmons.. Zion has not played a game yet.. KP just got his extension and he can be better but is coming off a major injury... Luka would be a maybe he can shoot but for his size his defence is pretty poor..

you take tatum for sure over simmons. they're pretty similar quality players right now, but tatum has more upside. and KAT is no doubt a better player right now
DthTrap
Freshman
And1: 7

Post#9 » by DthTrap » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:14 am

dice wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:
dice wrote:i'm no fan of the contract, but that makes no sense. he would only opt out if he could get similar or more money elsewhere, in which case he will have earned his contract and they would want him to stay

you take tatum for sure over simmons. they're pretty similar quality players right now, but tatum has more upside. and KAT is no doubt a better player right now

Im 4 sure taking Tatum or Mitchell over Simmons. Hell ill even take Markell Fultz over Simmons.
jjsauerw
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#10 » by jjsauerw » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:53 pm

- The 5th year without an option is definitely a good thing. Jump shot or not, 28 year old Ben Simmons is 99% sure to be a max player based on current physical tools alone. It's not only an extra year, but also an extra year on the 25% max scale versus the 30% max.

- The trade kicker is almost immaterial unless there's an unforeseen cap spike since you can't exceed that year's max salary even with a trade bonus.

- Honestly the worst part is probably leaving the door open for the Rose Rule extension, especially since Joel didn't get that on his deal and there are already looking at a nasty tax situation, but if he manages to get to the level of a top 15 player this year at 23 years old, it's probably a moot point anyway.

Return to Wiretap Discussion