Marcus Morris On Pulling Out Of Spurs' Deal: 'I Feel That I'm Clear With Them'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Marcus Morris On Pulling Out Of Spurs' Deal: 'I Feel That I'm Clear With Them' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:29 am

Marcus Morris told Shams Charania of The Athletic that he feels like he cleared the air between him and the San Antonio Spurs after spurning their offer to sign a one-year deal with the New York Knicks.

“The first thing that I did when I knew I would be going another direction, I called and made sure they knew. There was no shade. There’s no disrespect. I had great conversations afterward, and as long as I feel that I’m clear with them and gave them my truth, I feel good about moving forward," said Morris.

Morris also addressed firing agent Rich Paul, saying that there's no bad blood between the two.

Morris added that Paul wanted him to sign a three-year deal with the Clippers.

“All this stuff that (Paul) didn’t want me to go to the Clippers and didn’t want me to go against LeBron (James), that’s not true. He never told me not to take the deal. For as long as I’ve known Rich — and that’s still someone I have love for and that’s still my guy — he has been great in terms of advice. He told me he wanted me to take the Clippers deal."  

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

svart
Analyst
And1: 3,379

Re: Marcus Morris On Pulling Out Of Spurs' Deal: 'I Feel That I'm Clear With Them' 

Post#2 » by svart » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:30 am

bullcrap. he is full of it.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,708

Re: Marcus Morris On Pulling Out Of Spurs' Deal: 'I Feel That I'm Clear With Them' 

Post#3 » by dougthonus » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:56 am

svart wrote:bullcrap. he is full of it.

I don't know anything about Marcus Morris really, but why would you think so and about what?

About the Spurs thing? I'm sure the Spurs are still pissed internally, but it strikes me as they could still have a good conversation with him afterwards because there's no reason for them not to keep up a good front. It would just create a bad rep for them.

About Rich Paul? What incentive would he have to lie about that? If anything, he looks worse for turning down good advice and then backing out of a deal and taking all of the responsibility when the whole world was ready to put this all on Paul. I mean he didn't even need to corroborate it and lie, just say nothing.

Instead he comes out and defends Paul. It could be all fake, but for what purpose?
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#4 » by Donnyxc » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:26 pm

dougthonus wrote:
svart wrote:bullcrap. he is full of it.

I don't know anything about Marcus Morris really, but why would you think so and about what?

About the Spurs thing? I'm sure the Spurs are still pissed internally, but it strikes me as they could still have a good conversation with him afterwards because there's no reason for them not to keep up a good front. It would just create a bad rep for them.

About Rich Paul? What incentive would he have to lie about that? If anything, he looks worse for turning down good advice and then backing out of a deal and taking all of the responsibility when the whole world was ready to put this all on Paul. I mean he didn't even need to corroborate it and lie, just say nothing.

Instead he comes out and defends Paul. It could be all fake, but for what purpose?

Reading between the lines is a good life skill. The timing of Rich Paul's firing by Morris and Noel for example. But in this case, no one really knows anything and it could just be pure coincidence.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#5 » by Vegeta10176 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:10 pm

Respect for Morris owning all these decisions the Knicks thing was not even possible to the Bullock thing happened so was understandable.. And can ppl now stop the rich Paul hate and the bs conspiracy theories.. Would love to know MM thinking behind turning down the clippers deal I am assuming he though he could get more..
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,191

Post#6 » by kenwood3333 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:23 pm

damage control
avg players doesn't want to piss off rich paul and his group in this league
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#7 » by dougthonus » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:07 pm

Donnyxc wrote:Reading between the lines is a good life skill. The timing of Rich Paul's firing by Morris and Noel for example. But in this case, no one really knows anything and it could just be pure coincidence.

I'm still not sure what lines you are reading between or what you think Morris is potentially lying about.

I'm not a fan of any of the teams involved, so I'm not paying particularly close attention to it or anything, but I don't see what Morris gains by lying about anything here and owning the decision he made.

Noel has all kinds of reasons to throw Paul under the bus, he convinced Noel to leave his previous agent and steered him towards a decision which ended up being disastrous for him. I'm not sure if Morris does or does not feel the same way but don't see any reason to think so off the cuff.
@doug_thonus on twitter
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#8 » by BigHustle » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:23 pm

He reneged on a verbal contract. Not a great look for MM but it’s a verbal contract and it’s a players league. He’s looking out for #1 in a short-lived profession. Good for him. In one year he’ll be signed based on his numbers if they are good.

But, Why would I trust anything he has to say on Rich Paul or any other subject when he just reneged in a verbal contract?

Will more players do what MM did? Will this take power away from agents? It would.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#9 » by cheese318 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:42 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:Respect for Morris owning all these decisions the Knicks thing was not even possible to the Bullock thing happened so was understandable.. And can ppl now stop the rich Paul hate and the bs conspiracy theories.. Would love to know MM thinking behind turning down the clippers deal I am assuming he though he could get more..

I think you are on point. Clippers offered that right on the first day I believe. So maybe he thought another team possibly would come with 4/60? I’d have to think if KL was in place he might have strongly considered signing. Curious what would have happened if he does sign and how it might have affected the PG13 trade
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Donnyxc
Starter

Post#10 » by Donnyxc » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:37 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:Reading between the lines is a good life skill. The timing of Rich Paul's firing by Morris and Noel for example. But in this case, no one really knows anything and it could just be pure coincidence.

I'm still not sure what lines you are reading between or what you think Morris is potentially lying about.

I'm not a fan of any of the teams involved, so I'm not paying particularly close attention to it or anything, but I don't see what Morris gains by lying about anything here and owning the decision he made.

Noel has all kinds of reasons to throw Paul under the bus, he convinced Noel to leave his previous agent and steered him towards a decision which ended up being disastrous for him. I'm not sure if Morris does or does not feel the same way but don't see any reason to think so off the cuff.

At the end of the day no one really knows but the Morris and Paul.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#11 » by dougthonus » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:45 pm

Donnyxc wrote:At the end of the day no one really knows but the Morris and Paul.

Sure, but what are you even implying? I don't even understand the conspiratorial angle people are taking here.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Donnyxc
Starter

Post#12 » by Donnyxc » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:27 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Donnyxc wrote:At the end of the day no one really knows but the Morris and Paul.

Sure, but what are you even implying? I don't even understand the conspiratorial angle people are taking here.

The point of my post was more geared to your approach even questioning the original poster.

I'm not one for conspiracies. But people are going to choose whether to believe non-stories like these whether you question them or not. No one is going to have the facts, except for the parties involved.

The questions you posed originally were based on a literal interpretation of the original poster's "bullcrap" comment. That was a hyperbolic reaction, and not meant to be taken literally. There could be no bad blood or there could be bad blood, so there's really no point in analyzing the reactions to this and expecting clear cut answers to your questions.

Return to Wiretap Discussion