CSKA Interested In Jeremy Lin, Ron Baker

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

CSKA Interested In Jeremy Lin, Ron Baker 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:58 pm

CSKA has interest in signing Jeremy Lin to a contract.

Lin finished last season with the Toronto Raptors.

CSKA could pivot to Ron Baker if Lin doesn't sign with the club.

Via Sportando

IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Re: CSKA Interested In Jeremy Lin, Ron Baker 

Post#2 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:14 pm

Wonder why Lin is having such a hard time getting picked up? There are non-tanking teams in need of a good p&r point guard, no? How about Indy? Or Utah as a back up? Or his hometown Warriors?
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#3 » by Chris3323 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:45 pm

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:Wonder why Lin is having such a hard time getting picked up? There are non-tanking teams in need of a good p&r point guard, no? How about Indy? Or Utah as a back up? Or his hometown Warriors?

I think Lin defensively is a massive liability and since the league is faster now, hes not able to keep up.

I agree though, he can score but I guess he isnt a Trey Burke type scorer any longer
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst

Post#4 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:54 pm

Chris3323 wrote:
IAMZOOTED2 wrote:Wonder why Lin is having such a hard time getting picked up? There are non-tanking teams in need of a good p&r point guard, no? How about Indy? Or Utah as a back up? Or his hometown Warriors?

I think Lin defensively is a massive liability and since the league is faster now, hes not able to keep up.

I agree though, he can score but I guess he isnt a Trey Burke type scorer any longer

yeah, gotta agree. since you bring up Burke... is Trey that much better than Lin on the Sixers? Cheaper, i suppose
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Post#5 » by madmaxmedia » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:01 am

Chris3323 wrote:

His 3-point shooting has also been a significant liability at his position. If he had an above league average 3FG%, I think he'd probably have a job already?
Mikeneko
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#6 » by Mikeneko » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:48 am

I think he would probably get another gig should he stayed with the hawks. He was shooting horribly for the raptors and just rotten at the bench during playoff.

Teams would much rather take a chance at a younger player than signing a declining veteran
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#7 » by jlokine » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:25 am

lin cant possibly go to russia..
Trailbreaker
Junior
And1: 115

Post#8 » by Trailbreaker » Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:55 am

CSKA Moscow is a good opportunity. They’re a proven winner over the years and most recent Euroleague champion. I would at least consider it if I were Lin.
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#9 » by Vae Victus » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:18 am

Teams must think he's toast physically for him to not get a backup gig somewhere. When PHI picked up Burke for 4mil, i think that was Lin's last shot at getting a legit backup gig for a contender.

Was hoping Clippers or Lakers picking him up for the min or 3.5ish mil, but looks like neither team was interested.

If Lin wants more than the min, looks like he needs to go overseas. Kinda surprised about CSVA Moscow showing interest, i'd have thought if hed go overseas it'd be to China and just be a God over there.

If Lin can show he's 100% healthy in euro or CBA league for a year, he should be able to come back and get a backup gig in the NBA at age 32.
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,318

Post#10 » by Clyde Frazier » Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:49 am

PSA: the NBA season hasn't started yet. Just because they're interested in him doesn't mean he won't land on an NBA roster by the begining of the year.
Durant Durant
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,094

Post#11 » by Durant Durant » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:00 pm

he should try to get an overseas gig and jumpstart his game by playing competitive minutes rather than joining an NBA team just to sit on the bench.
No no yes yes
RollingWave
Sixth Man
And1: 727

Post#12 » by RollingWave » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:27 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
Chris3323 wrote:

His 3-point shooting has also been a significant liability at his position. If he had an above league average 3FG%, I think he'd probably have a job already?

Not entirely sure where these assessments come from, Lin's been one of the better guards at drawing charges in the league at least since the Hornet days, and also have a surprisingly good block %, he's not going to be a good individual defender but it's hard to argue that he's someone that sinks a team defense by himself (and in fact have been in several pretty solid team defenses.) his limitation is his wingspan but otherwise he even holds up decently on switches on smaller wing players.

His offensive game is a mixed bag, he's a pretty good pick and roll operator and finish really well around the rim, but isn't really an A+ handle guy and is very suspect to being shut down if other teams really throw a wing stopper type on him, he throws lobs / backdoors pretty well but for some reason seem to never really be able to throw cross-court passes right on the money consistently ( a lot of times guys catch his passes just a bit out of rhythm.), in terms of 3 point shooting he's very streaky, but we should note that his career 3p% is actually slightly higher than Trey Burke's ... but the problem is that he's either supernova or totally bricks a couple of weeks at a time, while everyone has slumps his is more noticeable for sure, it is interesting why he was so bad this year from 3, as this was actually his BEST season from inside the arc and the Free Throw line. He's not a reliable shooter no, but he's also not Russell Westbrook non-shooter.

I do think the real big problem of why teams aren't picking up on him is the health issue, he's had a good deal of knee and back issues and is over 30, last year he played 74 games, basically a full season, which was almost a miracle given the devastating injury he was coming off, but it really looked ugly towards the end, and his style on both sides of the court makes him always a higher freak injury risk than most.

I think for teams like the Sixers the concern is that he's too high profile to get as a 3rd PG but his health record is too spotty to trust as a big minutes backup, while for Lin I don't' think he's super interested in being a mentor again, though quite a few teams could potentially use him in that role (including the Hawks again.)
The river of time wash away all heroes
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,720

Post#13 » by TinmanZBoy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:01 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
Chris3323 wrote:

Massive liability on defense? Don’t know what you are cracking... this is probably the biggest misconception of Jeremy Lin’s career... he is really a strong defender throughout his career, he could steal a ton block a ton take charges a ton very heady help defender, guard both 1 and 2 pretty well... the only knock on his defense is he is not pesky on the ball, does not press the point like the old school PGs... he is a pretty good defender... not a good shooter, not bad either... still TO prone, but he can make things happen on offense.., he is Thebes jack of all trades type of player
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
TinmanZBoy
Head Coach
And1: 4,720

Post#14 » by TinmanZBoy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:11 pm

And don’t forget he was a hot commodity in the buyout market, several teams were interested in him other than raptors, including warriors and trailblazers... the Hawks were hoping to get a pick to trade him before trade deadline... he was doing pretty well in Hawks... a bad stretch in raptors suddenly he has no place in NBA?
He is still a capable player, it’s timing and fit etc.. plus as an Asian, he is always going to be doubted, just a sad reality.
Hi Clutchie, I love you... :kiss
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst

Post#15 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:14 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:And don’t forget he was a hot commodity in the buyout market, several teams were interested in him other than raptors, including warriors and trailblazers... the Hawks were hoping to get a pick to trade him before trade deadline... he was doing pretty well in Hawks... a bad stretch in raptors suddenly he has no place in NBA?
He is still a capable player, it’s timing and fit etc.. plus as an Asian, he is always going to be doubted, just a sad reality.

All valid points. I think if he could dunk with some authority it would help his case some...
Chris3323
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by Chris3323 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 10:41 pm

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:
Chris3323 wrote:

yeah, gotta agree. since you bring up Burke... is Trey that much better than Lin on the Sixers? Cheaper, i suppose

Burke is cheaper. Lin can give you offense but isnt aggressive enough to have a chance at starting. Fred took his spot and deservingly so.
Chris3323
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by Chris3323 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 10:42 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
Chris3323 wrote:

Lin could thrive on the Spurs or Mavs. but that is about it.
Chris3323
Pro Prospect

Post#18 » by Chris3323 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 10:44 pm

RollingWave wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
Chris3323 wrote:I think Lin defensively is a massive liability and since the league is faster now, hes not able to keep up.

Not entirely sure where these assessments come from, Lin's been one of the better guards at drawing charges in the league at least since the Hornet days, and also have a surprisingly good block %, he's not going to be a good individual defender but it's hard to argue that he's someone that sinks a team defense by himself (and in fact have been in several pretty solid team defenses.) his limitation is his wingspan but otherwise he even holds up decently on switches on smaller wing players.

His offensive game is a mixed bag, he's a pretty good pick and roll operator and finish really well around the rim, but isn't really an A+ handle guy and is very suspect to being shut down if other teams really throw a wing stopper type on him, he throws lobs / backdoors pretty well but for some reason seem to never really be able to throw cross-court passes right on the money consistently ( a lot of times guys catch his passes just a bit out of rhythm.), in terms of 3 point shooting he's very streaky, but we should note that his career 3p% is actually slightly higher than Trey Burke's ... but the problem is that he's either supernova or totally bricks a couple of weeks at a time, while everyone has slumps his is more noticeable for sure, it is interesting why he was so bad this year from 3, as this was actually his BEST season from inside the arc and the Free Throw line. He's not a reliable shooter no, but he's also not Russell Westbrook non-shooter.

I do think the real big problem of why teams aren't picking up on him is the health issue, he's had a good deal of knee and back issues and is over 30, last year he played 74 games, basically a full season, which was almost a miracle given the devastating injury he was coming off, but it really looked ugly towards the end, and his style on both sides of the court makes him always a higher freak injury risk than most.

I think for teams like the Sixers the concern is that he's too high profile to get as a 3rd PG but his health record is too spotty to trust as a big minutes backup, while for Lin I don't' think he's super interested in being a mentor again, though quite a few teams could potentially use him in that role (including the Hawks again.)

I like Lin.
But lets be honest. When Pat Bev (who was a nobody) took his spot, it was over then at him starting. We all saw the league needed a defensive PG over a scoring one.

Return to Wiretap Discussion