Lakers Officially Unveil Frank Vogel's Coaching Staff, Including Jason Kidd & Lionel Hollins

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 64,939
And1: 177
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

Lakers Officially Unveil Frank Vogel's Coaching Staff, Including Jason Kidd & Lionel Hollins 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:31 pm

The Los Angeles Lakers officially presented Frank Vogel's coaching staff heading into next season, a group that included former NBA coaches Jason Kidd and Lionel Hollins.


Phil Handy, Miles Simon, Mike Penberthy and Quinton Crawford round out the coaching staff.


Greg St. Jean, Dru Anthrop, and Jon Pastorek were hired in player development roles. 

Via NBA.com

Barcs
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,356
And1: 255
Joined: Jan 27, 2013
Location: NJ
       

Re: Lakers Officially Unveil Frank Vogel's Coaching Staff, Including Jason Kidd & Lionel Hollins 

Post#2 » by Barcs » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:45 pm

I like it. Vogel is a solid coach and Kidd just jumped into head coaching too quickly. That is a solid staff.
Barcs
DannyAingeIsGod
Junior
Posts: 356
And1: 39
Joined: Jun 24, 2016

Re: Lakers Officially Unveil Frank Vogel's Coaching Staff, Including Jason Kidd & Lionel Hollins 

Post#3 » by DannyAingeIsGod » Thu Aug 1, 2019 12:51 am

Barcs wrote:I like it. Vogel is a solid coach and Kidd just jumped into head coaching too quickly. That is a solid staff.


I can’t say I’m a fan or not a fan of Vogels system, he can certainly keep his guys engaged and everyone knows their place. I’m certainly curious to see how his system would work with legitimate superstar talent involved. I’m not so sure this was the right fit though. I’m still down with Ty Lue
tor1234567
Pro Prospect
Posts: 899
And1: 822
Joined: May 31, 2018

Re: Lakers Officially Unveil Frank Vogel's Coaching Staff, Including Jason Kidd & Lionel Hollins 

Post#4 » by tor1234567 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 4:03 am

DannyAingeIsGod wrote:
Barcs wrote:I like it. Vogel is a solid coach and Kidd just jumped into head coaching too quickly. That is a solid staff.


I can’t say I’m a fan or not a fan of Vogels system, he can certainly keep his guys engaged and everyone knows their place. I’m certainly curious to see how his system would work with legitimate superstar talent involved. I’m not so sure this was the right fit though. I’m still down with Ty Lue


Vogel is a poor coach. Jason Kidd is just as bad.

Both may be decent assistant coaches, but neither are cut out to be head coaches on any NBA team.
User avatar
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
Posts: 12,432
And1: 9,237
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: Lakers Officially Unveil Frank Vogel's Coaching Staff, Including Jason Kidd & Lionel Hollins 

Post#5 » by Winsome Gerbil » Thu Aug 1, 2019 5:37 am

tor1234567 wrote:
DannyAingeIsGod wrote:
Barcs wrote:I like it. Vogel is a solid coach and Kidd just jumped into head coaching too quickly. That is a solid staff.


I can’t say I’m a fan or not a fan of Vogels system, he can certainly keep his guys engaged and everyone knows their place. I’m certainly curious to see how his system would work with legitimate superstar talent involved. I’m not so sure this was the right fit though. I’m still down with Ty Lue


Vogel is a poor coach. Jason Kidd is just as bad.

Both may be decent assistant coaches, but neither are cut out to be head coaches on any NBA team.

Vogel has taken a team to the ECF. Hollins has taken a team to the WCF. And critically both teams were built on size and smashmouth defense. If anything, Kidd is the odd man out/celebrity apprentice here.
NuckyPowell
Starter
Posts: 2,490
And1: 2,313
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Pure of heart and dumb of ass
 

Re: Lakers Officially Unveil Frank Vogel's Coaching Staff, Including Jason Kidd & Lionel Hollins 

Post#6 » by NuckyPowell » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:06 am

Oof. Watch your back, Frank.
IAMZOOTED2
Rookie
Posts: 1,016
And1: 379
Joined: Mar 05, 2017
 

Re: Lakers Officially Unveil Frank Vogel's Coaching Staff, Including Jason Kidd & Lionel Hollins 

Post#7 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 7:28 am

How many off these guys are Vogel''s?

And when/if Vogel is axed, who is next in line? Hollins or Kidd?
Cassius
RealGM
Posts: 11,150
And1: 1,346
Joined: Aug 19, 2005
Location: We won.
     

Re: Lakers Officially Unveil Frank Vogel's Coaching Staff, Including Jason Kidd & Lionel Hollins 

Post#8 » by Cassius » Thu Aug 1, 2019 12:39 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:Vogel has taken a team to the ECF. Hollins has taken a team to the WCF. And critically both teams were built on size and smashmouth defense. If anything, Kidd is the odd man out/celebrity apprentice here.


Great post. It's probably also worth mentioning that the Mavs 2011 team where Kidd was effectively a coach on the floor, shares a lot of similarities with this roster. I'll still believe in this team when I see it, as that front line is very brittle, but the system really will match the players.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,786
And1: 128
Joined: Aug 22, 2001
Location: NY
         

Re: Lakers Officially Unveil Frank Vogel's Coaching Staff, Including Jason Kidd & Lionel Hollins 

Post#9 » by TheCage4 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 12:59 pm

LeBron's name is missing from this list.

Return to Wiretap Discussion