Jayson Tatum Takes Partial Credit For Celtics Signing Kemba Walker

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Jayson Tatum Takes Partial Credit For Celtics Signing Kemba Walker 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Aug 1, 2019 11:36 pm

Jayson Tatum is taking partial credit for the Boston Celtics signing Kemba Walker in free agency.

Tatum gave Walker a sales pitch during a Jordan Brand tour in Paris this summer.

"I'm very excited," Tatum said. "I think I had a big part with him coming here. I was with him in Paris.

"I never told him to come, but I told him I would love for him to join the team and told him how it was. Obviously everybody has to do what's best for themselves, and I'm happy for him."

Tatum told Walker about what it is like to play for Boston.

"I just told him about Boston, the city, the atmosphere, our fans, the culture, the coaching staff. I answered all the questions he had.

"I'm excited, and just ready for the season to start and everybody to be around each other and build some chemistry and just get it going."

Via Tim Bontemps/ESPN

DannyAingeIsGod
Junior
And1: 39

Re: Jayson Tatum Takes Partial Credit For Celtics Signing Kemba Walker 

Post#2 » by DannyAingeIsGod » Fri Aug 2, 2019 12:31 am

Ainge doing a good job of keeping the Celtics an all Nba point guard, Isaiah, Kyrie and now Walker. I like what Kemba brings. Seems like he has the right blend for Boston no disrespect to I.T I love him forever, but he wasn’t about to bring a chip to Boston regardless of the roster at the time. Kyrie, Hayward, Horford was all exciting the league Hayward went down and Boston went on that 16-2 run I believe it was. Everything was good for a bit, but obviously Kyrie didn’t want to be in Boston he thought he could sacrifice his true desires as we all at one point or another have tried. Credit him for serving his two year commitment. Kemba is a vet. He’s played and stayed in Boston 10+ times. His teammates want him there. The 2019-20 Celtics will features the greatest cast Kemba has ever had assembled around him. Make no mistake he will be the #1 option on offence. I have no doubt this squad will have 50+ wins if healthy.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,163

Post#3 » by Revived » Fri Aug 2, 2019 1:39 am

DannyAingeIsGod wrote:Ainge doing a good job of keeping the Celtics an all Nba point guard, Isaiah, Kyrie and now Walker. I like what Kemba brings. Seems like he has the right blend for Boston no disrespect to I.T I love him forever, but he wasn’t about to bring a chip to Boston regardless of the roster at the time. Kyrie, Hayward, Horford was all exciting the league Hayward went down and Boston went on that 16-2 run I believe it was. Everything was good for a bit, but obviously Kyrie didn’t want to be in Boston he thought he could sacrifice his true desires as we all at one point or another have tried. Credit him for serving his two year commitment. Kemba is a vet. He’s played and stayed in Boston 10+ times. His teammates want him there. The 2019-20 Celtics will features the greatest cast Kemba has ever had assembled around him. Make no mistake he will be the #1 option on offence. I have no doubt this squad will have 50+ wins if healthy.

Ainge doesn’t seem to value defense at all from the PG position (Rondo being the only player during Ainge’s tenure as GM who wasn’t among the bottom 5 worst defenders at the position) so this could be another 50 and fade season for Boston.
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#4 » by TheBoi10 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:05 am

Revived wrote:
DannyAingeIsGod wrote:Ainge doing a good job of keeping the Celtics an all Nba point guard, Isaiah, Kyrie and now Walker. I like what Kemba brings. Seems like he has the right blend for Boston no disrespect to I.T I love him forever, but he wasn’t about to bring a chip to Boston regardless of the roster at the time. Kyrie, Hayward, Horford was all exciting the league Hayward went down and Boston went on that 16-2 run I believe it was. Everything was good for a bit, but obviously Kyrie didn’t want to be in Boston he thought he could sacrifice his true desires as we all at one point or another have tried. Credit him for serving his two year commitment. Kemba is a vet. He’s played and stayed in Boston 10+ times. His teammates want him there. The 2019-20 Celtics will features the greatest cast Kemba has ever had assembled around him. Make no mistake he will be the #1 option on offence. I have no doubt this squad will have 50+ wins if healthy.

Ainge doesn’t seem to value defense at all from the PG position (Rondo being the only player during Ainge’s tenure as GM who wasn’t among the bottom 5 worst defenders at the position) so this could be another 50 and fade season for Boston.

They won 49 games last year. Downgraded their PG and C positions from Kyrie and Horford to Kemba and Kanter. Lost their 3rd best offensive player, Morris, for nothing. Lost 2 good bench players, Rozier and Baynes, for basically nothing. Celtics got worse.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#5 » by Cookin Baskets » Fri Aug 2, 2019 4:08 am

I wonder if there will be a huge difference in chemistry with Walker instead of Irving.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
DannyAingeIsGod
Junior
And1: 39

Post#6 » by DannyAingeIsGod » Fri Aug 2, 2019 5:12 am

TheBoi10 wrote:
Revived wrote:

They won 49 games last year. Downgraded their PG and C positions from Kyrie and Horford to Kemba and Kanter. Lost their 3rd best offensive player, Morris, for nothing. Lost 2 good bench players, Rozier and Baynes, for basically nothing. Celtics got worse.

You’re missing a part, the Celtics may have been better on paper last year, but just like the 2004 lakers or 2012 or 2013 Nets they didn’t know or like playing with one another. Too many guys just standing around not knowing what to do because they’re only useful with the ball in their hands. Also Kyrie was a **** locker room presence and many of his own teammates couldn’t stand being around him , he destroyed everyone’s confidence.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,219

Post#7 » by itrsteve » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:24 am

TheBoi10 wrote:They won 49 games last year. Downgraded their PG and C positions from Kyrie and Horford to Kemba and Kanter. Lost their 3rd best offensive player, Morris, for nothing. Lost 2 good bench players, Rozier and Baynes, for basically nothing. Celtics got worse.

There’s more to it than just swapping out players and comparing their numbers. Just watch, they’ll be fine.
WuriderX
Junior
And1: 403

Post#8 » by WuriderX » Fri Aug 2, 2019 10:15 am

i don't know fellas I am starting to see that maybe Tatum was the problem. he talks to damn much. He is starting to believe his own hype.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#9 » by BigHustle » Fri Aug 2, 2019 1:05 pm

WuriderX wrote:i don't know fellas I am starting to see that maybe Tatum was the problem. he talks to damn much. He is starting to believe his own hype.

If he stops the midrange fade-away junk shots and focus on penetration or 3’s he can keep the talking. Let’s hope what hanlen put out is for real on JT.
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#10 » by TimRobbins » Fri Aug 2, 2019 1:39 pm

Tatum is absolutely over-rated at this point. So much hype, mediocre production.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#11 » by br7knicks » Fri Aug 2, 2019 2:25 pm

if celtics had kept everyone, but only exchanged kemba for kyrie, they would've done much better this year than last year.

kyrie was a net loss for them. i hate the celtics, but i hate kyrie more. hope the celtics do better than last year
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#12 » by Spud2nique » Fri Aug 2, 2019 2:37 pm

Classic case of admission of tampering. Nice work Celts. Tatum lol. He’s not the brightest kid is he?
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,233

Post#13 » by bisme37 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:24 pm

Spud2nique wrote:Classic case of admission of tampering. Nice work Celts. Tatum lol. He’s not the brightest kid is he?

Players are allowed to tamper, there's no rule against it at all. Dinwiddie was recruiting Kyrie for over a year and came right out and said so in recent interviews, for example.
Donnyxc
Starter
And1: 247

Post#14 » by Donnyxc » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:34 pm

BigHustle wrote:
WuriderX wrote:i don't know fellas I am starting to see that maybe Tatum was the problem. he talks to damn much. He is starting to believe his own hype.

If he stops the midrange fade-away junk shots and focus on penetration or 3’s he can keep the talking. Let’s hope what hanlen put out is for real on JT.

He's also improved defensively. He was their best defensive starter last season.

Sure there's hype, but I think this is his and Jaylen's year to shine.
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,191

Post#15 » by kenwood3333 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 3:42 pm

Jayson Tatum should take credits for getting rid of Kyrie too
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#16 » by TheBoi10 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 5:09 pm

DannyAingeIsGod wrote:
TheBoi10 wrote:
Revived wrote:Ainge doesn’t seem to value defense at all from the PG position (Rondo being the only player during Ainge’s tenure as GM who wasn’t among the bottom 5 worst defenders at the position) so this could be another 50 and fade season for Boston.

You’re missing a part, the Celtics may have been better on paper last year, but just like the 2004 lakers or 2012 or 2013 Nets they didn’t know or like playing with one another. Too many guys just standing around not knowing what to do because they’re only useful with the ball in their hands. Also Kyrie was a **** locker room presence and many of his own teammates couldn’t stand being around him , he destroyed everyone’s confidence.

The Celtics talent was incredibly overrated. They were never that good.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,233

Post#17 » by bisme37 » Fri Aug 2, 2019 6:01 pm

Except Kemba told this exact same story the day he was introduced as a Celtic. Kemba is friends with Tatum from Jordan Brand and talked about the Celtics with him before free agency in the exact manner being reported here and with almost identical quotes. He's also friends with Jaylen Brown from an Africa trip a few years ago. And Hayward too, from when they almost teamed up a few years ago in Charlotte in 2014. So Kemba also "believes the hype" and is excited to play with these guys.
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,407

Post#18 » by Indomitable » Fri Aug 2, 2019 7:42 pm

You forgot the 5 game series where the 76ers own you next Spring.
:banghead:
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,049

Post#19 » by Lalouie » Fri Aug 2, 2019 9:10 pm

these celt youngins are taking too much credit for stuff. it's an entitlement thing.

that is a problem
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#20 » by Vegeta10176 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 11:25 am

IT would not have brought a chip that's true but neither would Kemba I would also add ITs season before he left was better than any Kemba has ever had..

Return to Wiretap Discussion