Vince Carter Agrees To One-Year Deal With Hawks

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Re: Vince Carter Agrees To One-Year Deal With Hawks 

Post#21 » by alienpick » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:07 pm

ontnut wrote:Vince played 6 and a bit seasons in Toront. He's played 22 in the league. I don't get the nostalgia. It's been a decade and a half since he played in Toronto. He had his video tribute already, why do people want the Raptors to waste a roster spot on Vince, when they need to be finding as many serviceable players for the FUTURE that they can, given it will be rebuilt around Siakam an OG in a year...

Vince put Toronto on the map, made the Raptors legit. It’s possible if it weren’t for Vince, we could have lost the Raptors like we lost the Grizz.

Why a roster spot? Besides the nostalgia, Vince has been a really good vet for young players. He’s a positive locker room and potential building piece that can still give you some good minutes. Remember he earned his minutes in Atlanta. He’d probably get less in TO anyway. We also have a bunch of twoway contracts that can develop in the Dleague as well, so he’s not hurting the roster by being on the end of the rotation.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#22 » by dan-man » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:10 pm

alienpick wrote:You suck Masai. You lost Kawhi (which we can forgive) but you couldn’t even sign Vince for us? Boo!

Might be the first time a GM has been accused of sucking just after winning a ring.
alienpick
Starter

Post#23 » by alienpick » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:12 pm

dice wrote:
alienpick wrote:You suck Masai. You lost Kawhi (which we can forgive) but you couldn’t even sign Vince for us? Boo!

i find it VERY hard to believe that many raptors fans feel that way about one of the best GMs in the league...who just played a major role in bringing them their first ever title

back on topic, i'm disappointed that vince doesn't play until he's clearly washed up. would be interesting to see how long he could go

I was being facetious. He obviously doesn’t suck, just disappointed in not getting Vince. Especially since Vince was open to coming
Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#24 » by Chris3323 » Tue Aug 6, 2019 7:52 pm

Shouldve let Vince end his career in Toronto SMH.
C'mon
alienpick
Starter

Post#25 » by alienpick » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:02 pm

alienpick wrote:
ontnut wrote:Vince played 6 and a bit seasons in Toront. He's played 22 in the league. I don't get the nostalgia. It's been a decade and a half since he played in Toronto. He had his video tribute already, why do people want the Raptors to waste a roster spot on Vince, when they need to be finding as many serviceable players for the FUTURE that they can, given it will be rebuilt around Siakam an OG in a year...

Vince put Toronto on the map, made the Raptors legit. It’s possible if it weren’t for Vince, we could have lost the Raptors like we lost the Grizz.

Why a roster spot? Besides the nostalgia, Vince has been a really good vet for young players. He’s a positive locker room guy and veteran leader/mentor that can still give you some good minutes. Remember he earned his minutes in Atlanta. He’d probably get less in TO anyway. We also have a bunch of twoway contracts that can develop in the Dleague as well, so he’s not hurting the roster by being on the end of the rotation.
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,355

Post#26 » by PerfectJab » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:10 pm

whoknows wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:
PerfectJab wrote:
Trust me, it's not the norm among Raptor's fans.

Vince is already washed up! His defense is atrocious and does he ever look slow on the floor! He's a beneficiary of the soft league of today where defense is created through offense.

You say today's league is soft but you do realize players actually have more injuries and break down more in this era than in the previous era's that nearly every player is pushed to their physical peak.. This era is tougher on the body than past era's..

Not is not!
Before 90ties players were allowed "touch defense"which in reality translated in a lot more: pushes, grabs, kicks, punches, etc.
MJ & other greats would score a lot, lot more in today's "no touch" defense.

Yup and players doing 'load management' and preserving their bodies, putting themselves on the DL where previously they would played through it. In the 90's this in itself would have been considered soft and as someone born in the 70's I'm inclined to agree.

I get the 'softness' though as I'd probably do the same to prolong my career if I had the leverage to do so. Make no mistake about it, this is the era of players holding their owners by the balls, lack of patience, entitlement and sensitivity - soft!
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,539

Post#27 » by dice » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:25 pm

whoknows wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:
PerfectJab wrote:

Vince is already washed up! His defense is atrocious and does he ever look slow on the floor! He's a beneficiary of the soft league of today where defense is created through offense.

You say today's league is soft but you do realize players actually have more injuries and break down more in this era than in the previous era's that nearly every player is pushed to their physical peak.. This era is tougher on the body than past era's..

Not is not!
Before 90ties players were allowed "touch defense"which in reality translated in a lot more: pushes, grabs, kicks, punches, etc.

no they wouldn't. because if that was the case TODAY's greats would be scoring "a lot, lot more." but they don't. not because it isn't a BIT easier to score, but because they play less minutes

and believe it or not, defenses weren't that great until the LATE '80s when the "bad boys" pistons turned up the physicality. and there was NEVER an era where players were regularly knocked to the ground when they entered the paint, as I see people say from time to time
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#28 » by dice » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:28 pm

PerfectJab wrote:
whoknows wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:

Not is not!

Yup and players doing 'load management' and preserving their bodies, putting themselves on the DL where previously they would played through it. In the 90's this in itself would have been considered soft and as someone born in the 70's I'm inclined to agree.

I get the 'softness' though as I'd probably do the same to prolong my career if I had the leverage to do so. Make no mistake about it, this is the era of players holding their owners by the balls, lack of patience, entitlement and sensitivity - soft!

the pace and athleticism are much higher in today's game. and it was a COACH (popovich) who started the "load management" trend, not the players. this is analytics-based decision making, not "softness." having players peak at playoff time, when their minutes go up and they don't miss games unless absolutely necessary
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#29 » by dice » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:33 pm

PerfectJab wrote:
dice wrote:

i find it VERY hard to believe that many raptors fans feel that way about one of the best GMs in the league...who just played a major role in bringing them their first ever title

back on topic, i'm disappointed that vince doesn't play until he's clearly washed up. would be interesting to see how long he could go

Vince is already washed up! His defense is atrocious and does he ever look slow on the floor!

over the last 6 seasons his RPM is better than derozan's. scoring efficiency isn't bad. he's certainly a rotation-caliber player still

He's a beneficiary of the soft league of today where defense is created through offense.

how is defense created through offense?
PerfectJab
Veteran

Post#30 » by PerfectJab » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:36 pm

dice wrote:
PerfectJab wrote:
whoknows wrote:
Not is not!

the pace and athleticism are much higher in today's game. and it was a COACH (popovich) who started the "load management" trend, not the players. this is analytics-based decision making, not "softness." having players peak at playoff time, when their minutes go up and they don't miss games unless absolutely necessary

That's BS. You seem to be the king of oversimplifications, especially when making foundational assertions playing them off as if they are concrete.

I'll play along and case study this though, what is the analytics-based decision that mitigates the physicality lost from removing hand checking?
PerfectJab
Veteran

Post#31 » by PerfectJab » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:37 pm

dice wrote:
PerfectJab wrote:
dice wrote:i find it VERY hard to believe that many raptors fans feel that way about one of the best GMs in the league...who just played a major role in bringing them their first ever title

Vince is already washed up! His defense is atrocious and does he ever look slow on the floor!

over the last 6 seasons his RPM is better than derozan's. scoring efficiency isn't bad. he's certainly a rotation-caliber player still

He's a beneficiary of the soft league of today where defense is created through offense.

how is defense created through offense?

Exactly.
dice
RealGM

Post#32 » by dice » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:40 pm

PerfectJab wrote:
dice wrote:
PerfectJab wrote:

That's BS. You seem to be the king of oversimplifications, especially when making foundational assertions playing them off as if they are concrete.

okay

I'll play along and case study this though, what is the analytics-based decision that mitigates the physicality lost from removing hand checking?

huh? wtf are you even talking about? do you actually think that hand checking constitutes physical play? :lol:
PerfectJab
Veteran

Post#33 » by PerfectJab » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:45 pm

dice wrote:
PerfectJab wrote:
dice wrote:the pace and athleticism are much higher in today's game. and it was a COACH (popovich) who started the "load management" trend, not the players. this is analytics-based decision making, not "softness." having players peak at playoff time, when their minutes go up and they don't miss games unless absolutely necessary

okay

huh? wtf are you even talking about? do you actually think that hand checking constitutes physical play? :lol:

Really? Do you even know what hand checking is? :lol:

I'll help you out:

dice
RealGM

Post#34 » by dice » Tue Aug 6, 2019 11:10 pm

PerfectJab wrote:
dice wrote:
PerfectJab wrote:

okay

yes, chuckles, I do. you, on the other hand, haven't a goddamn clue. and the players in your little video there are engaging in some hardcore "back in my day" revisionism. REAL hand-checking was abolished in 1979. the kind YOU and they are talking about was child's play. Michael Jordan did not have to deal with real hand-checking. you couldn't touch the guy. couldn't easily double team him either. superstars in the '80s and '90s actually had it EASIER than those of today. educate yourself:

https://thejrreport.com/2017/06/09/its-a-different-game-how-zone-defense-changed-everything-in-the-nba/

and yes, it has been coaches and organizations who have led the way on "load management." I don't know how that is even debatable. there's a reason why derrick rose and kawhi leonard sitting out against the recommendation of team doctors was such a big deal. because it rarely happens! players want to play! they're sure as hell not consulting with their agents and demanding that teams play them less. organizations want to protect their investments when it comes to high price tag superstars. they hope to be in it for the long haul
PerfectJab
Veteran

Post#35 » by PerfectJab » Tue Aug 6, 2019 11:28 pm

dice wrote:
PerfectJab wrote:
dice wrote:
okay

yes, chuckles, I do. you, on the other hand, haven't a goddamn clue. and the players in your little video there are engaging in some hardcore "back in my day" revisionism. REAL hand-checking was abolished in 1979. the kind YOU and they are talking about was child's play. Michael Jordan did not have to deal with real hand-checking. you couldn't touch the guy. couldn't easily double team him either. superstars in the '80s and '90s actually had it EASIER than those of today. educate yourself:

https://thejrreport.com/2017/06/09/its-a-different-game-how-zone-defense-changed-everything-in-the-nba/

and yes, it has been coaches and organizations who have led the way on "load management." I don't know how that is even debatable. there's a reason why derrick rose and kawhi leonard sitting out against the recommendation of team doctors was such a big deal. because it rarely happens! players want to play! they're sure as hell not consulting with their agents and demanding that teams play them less. organizations want to protect their investments when it comes to high price tag superstars. they hope to be in it for the long haul

I'm not sure that you do. Rolling the dice, wishing that individuals don't see holes in your fallacy ridden arguments is not enough to make something true. Hand checking is the very definition of physicality, what do you think physicality means?

I'd love to hear where you're getting this narrative from. What's your source? The media? :lol: I love how you once again steered the narrative ala Rose and Leonard thinking that it holds enough to validate not only your argument but the entire league as a whole. Weak man, weak!
DannyAingeIsGod
Junior
And1: 39

Post#36 » by DannyAingeIsGod » Wed Aug 7, 2019 4:20 am

dan-man wrote:

Might be the first time a GM has been accused of sucking just after winning a ring.

Yeah no crap. Everyone was counting the raptors out, no one knew Siakim, Vanvleet teams thought Danny Green, Serge Ibaka were washed up. If you look at the amount of players from last years team that had All Nba Defensive team ‘honours’(I am Canadian) or DPOY it was incredible probably recording breaking. Serge Ibaka, Marc Gasol, Kawhi, Danny Green and not sure if Lowry or Siakim have earned their spot yet, I feel Lowrys defence speaks for itself.
alienpick
Starter

Post#37 » by alienpick » Wed Aug 7, 2019 8:12 am

DannyAingeIsGod wrote:
dan-man wrote:

Yeah no crap. Everyone was counting the raptors out, no one knew Siakim, Vanvleet teams thought Danny Green, Serge Ibaka were washed up. If you look at the amount of players from last years team that had All Nba Defensive team ‘honours’(I am Canadian) or DPOY it was incredible probably recording breaking. Serge Ibaka, Marc Gasol, Kawhi, Danny Green and not sure if Lowry or Siakim have earned their spot yet, I feel Lowrys defence speaks for itself.

Again, I was being facetious. He obviously doesn’t suck.

Return to Wiretap Discussion