NCAA Implements 'Rich Paul Rule' For Underclassmen Testing NBA Draft Waters

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Re: NCAA Implements 'Rich Paul Rule' For Underclassmen Testing NBA Draft Waters 

Post#41 » by bqmuzik » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:23 pm

Very immature of Lebron. They are simply looking out for the best interest of fringe nba prospects
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#42 » by The Laker Kid » Wed Aug 7, 2019 5:55 pm

Very stupid rule and somewhat un-American. Rich Paul is a success story, from nothing to something. Only in America where someone be a regular dude and with enough perseverance, can go up the ladders of society. To take that away or discredit it feels like a slap on American culture of entrepreneurship and success.
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,151

Post#43 » by Edrees » Wed Aug 7, 2019 6:14 pm

All he has to do in major in something really easy that doesn't have many requirements and go to a JC. I don't see it being much of an obstacle. You can basically do it online nowadays. I don't think the NCAA understands the world we live in now if they think this is any real deterrent.
TerryTate
Analyst
And1: 1,451

Post#44 » by TerryTate » Wed Aug 7, 2019 6:33 pm

I don't see how this is a problem. Most careers have some barriers.

Agents having a Degree - Makes Sense as most careers you need to have a University Degree
NBPA certification - To ensure that the Agent is knowledgable in the workings of the NBA, as well as what is illegal and what is not.
Professional liability insurance and completion of an in-person exam taken at the NCAA office - Liability insurance 100%

People using Rich Paul as "a defintion" of American success story is like totally off topic and irrelevant.
This is about people BEING QUALIFIED to represent Sports Players.
In addition, if you think LBJ and his "crew" didn't get preferential treatment when he was first drafted by the Cavs is just ignorant thinking. They probably ignored so much of his "dealings" or turned the blind eye to keep favour with him.

It's like saying.... IF RJ Barret or Zion was my best from from elementary school and he wanted me to run "things" for him. But I wasn't qualified for, is that in "his" best interest? Mostly likely not.

On a side note Agents, should be helping players to reliably source other "requirements", such as a business managers or accountants, lawyers etc. You know how many top tier hockey stars got Millions scammed from them in the past 20 years?

I'm not saying Rich Paul isn't qualified, cause he very well could be. I'm just saying this is basic common sense in the Players benefit.
DarkoNeedsAfro
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,239

Post#45 » by DarkoNeedsAfro » Wed Aug 7, 2019 7:05 pm

My problem with this is the NCAA is not the ones hiring these people so them creating an arbitrary list of requirements is odd. They also could have made it an associates, masters, or high school diploma. To say bachelor's degree came out of someone's behind.
Harry Garris
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 13,556

Post#46 » by Harry Garris » Wed Aug 7, 2019 7:54 pm

Edrees wrote:All he has to do in major in something really easy that doesn't have many requirements and go to a JC. I don't see it being much of an obstacle. You can basically do it online nowadays. I don't think the NCAA understands the world we live in now if they think this is any real deterrent.

I don't think it's a deterrent I think the point is to make players to be represented by actual agents and not by their buddies.
DannyAingeIsGod
Junior
And1: 39

Post#47 » by DannyAingeIsGod » Wed Aug 7, 2019 9:08 pm

Franco wrote:
alienpick wrote:LeBitch all in his feels. Don’t tweet when you’re on the rag dude. Smh. #manupdude #youresupposedtobearolemodelnotawhineybitch

(He does realize Rich Paul can get a degree if he really cares, right? ****, he could probably write the challenge tests on a Sports Business degree easy, or give a graduation speech and get an honorary degree. Rich Paul’s world isn’t over LeBron, no need to have your period on Twitter)

You’re the definitions of someone with a hate boner so strong that blood stops circulating in your brain, and makes you say stupid **** like that.

Pause for a second and realize how **** dumb both this rule and you sound.

And maybe you should pause for a minute and realize that you could be destroying young kids confidence through your own anger.
DannyAingeIsGod
Junior
And1: 39

Post#48 » by DannyAingeIsGod » Wed Aug 7, 2019 9:12 pm

DarkoNeedsAfro wrote:My problem with this is the NCAA is not the ones hiring these people so them creating an arbitrary list of requirements is odd. They also could have made it an associates, masters, or high school diploma. To say bachelor's degree came out of someone's behind.

Good point, I can certainly see some minor tweaks to the rule.
On the other hand you have to credit the NCAA for trying to protect their tarnished reputation from getting any worse.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#49 » by Sam195 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 9:30 pm

JR Hawks wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:
alienpick wrote:
Nice Victim Mentality you got there. Lebron too.

If Rich Paul really cares then he can finish his degree. There’s a ton of easy routes, especially for a guy with his influence, to get it done. It’s simple.

Grow a pair and take responsibility for your own life. Challenges are going to come your way; you can either man up and overcome them, or lay crying about how unfair they are in the corner. The world is watching you, what kind of man do you want them to see? Lil’ baby bitch or THE MAN, your choice.

Why should he need a bachelor's degree? Did Zuckerberg finish college pretty sure he dropped out and yet still managing thousands of employees.. Please this is bs..

Please tell me you're not comparing Rich Paul to Mark Zuckerberg. Zuckerberg was an elite high school and college (Harvard, no less) student prior to needing to leave school to focus full-time on a revolutionary product he developed. Rich Paul should've already had a college degree by the time he joined up with LeBron.

Lmfao that is what I'm saying lol. Zuckerberg and Gates were early college age when they started their companies they looked at the opportunity cost and went all in on their ventures - they were both clearly smart enough to finish school if they had to. And it is not a race thing either even guys like Daymond John and Jay-Z who avoided college altogether started their careers in fashion, music and empire building in that early 19-21 age group where they weren't old enough to legally drink. Lmfao Rich Paul was flipping jerseys out of his car when he was 22 and he has been on the record before he was an agent that he barely finished high school. He has been riding Lebron's coattails to the bank ever since they met in an airport I think and Lebron asked him where he bought the jersey he was wearing and lmfao Rich apparently sold it to him on the spot and at least had the sense to exchange contact info since lol Lebron was famous even back then when he was a high school kid getting ready for the draft. Also Rich was just a member of Lebron's entourage basically all the way through the decision I think he transitioned to being his agent sometime during Lebron's Heat stint and it was one of the catalysts that severed the relationship the crew had with Pat Riley, Micky Arison and the Heat. People make it sound like Rich has been hustling as an agent since he got his high school diploma sorry he only has value because of his relationship with Lebron he is tied to the hip for life unless Lebron drops him.
SalamiNcheese
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,249

Post#50 » by SalamiNcheese » Wed Aug 7, 2019 10:03 pm

JR Hawks wrote:There are MANY jobs that require a Bachelor's Degree or higher....and for good reason. Intelligence and skills matter. I wouldn't want some uneducated dope handling my money or career.

If LeBron and Rich Paul don't like it, they can simply go back to school. Or would that be too much work for them? Or perhaps it would be too difficult?

LeBron is a great basketball player, but there's plenty to question outside of that. He's made numerous bad PR moves. He's been awful as a player GM. Perhaps he wouldn't have made those mistakes if he had an education.

As for Rich Paul, he'd be working a blue collar job somewhere if it weren't for LeBron....that's just a fact. He's not special, he's LeBron's friend.

Going to school and getting a piece of paper doesn’t make you intelligent or skilled... I went through the engineering system and graduated with bachelors and I am very confident I can train someone whose intelligent without a degree faster to a higher level than a university degree. I used about 5% of the knowledge I learnt at university... if someone went through the proper training without the university system doesn’t make them less qualified. It’s this dam society that everyone thinks send kids to college go big in college debt then work a good paying job. People are setup for failure and mediocrity. People play safe and that’s why they are poor.
Franco
Veteran
And1: 3,148

Post#51 » by Franco » Wed Aug 7, 2019 10:54 pm

DannyAingeIsGod wrote:
Franco wrote:
alienpick wrote:LeBitch all in his feels. Don’t tweet when you’re on the rag dude. Smh. #manupdude #youresupposedtobearolemodelnotawhineybitch

(He does realize Rich Paul can get a degree if he really cares, right? ****, he could probably write the challenge tests on a Sports Business degree easy, or give a graduation speech and get an honorary degree. Rich Paul’s world isn’t over LeBron, no need to have your period on Twitter)

You’re the definitions of someone with a hate boner so strong that blood stops circulating in your brain, and makes you say stupid **** like that.

And maybe you should pause for a minute and realize that you could be destroying young kids confidence through your own anger.

Even if (and it is an if) he is a kid, being called out for saying dumb **** based on hating isn’t a bad thing at all.

I don’t particularly give a **** about LeBron’s opinion in this, but the rule itself is in the best of cases shady, and in the worst both illegal and racist. People should be talking about it instead of just talking **** about a damn player.
About 2018 Cavs:

euroleague wrote:His team would be considered a super-team in other eras, and that's why commentators like Charles Barkley criticize LBJ for his complaining. He has talent on his team, he just doesn't try during the regular season
EazyRoc
Senior
And1: 389

Post#52 » by EazyRoc » Wed Aug 7, 2019 11:00 pm

Sam195 wrote:
Loneshot wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:Can someone explain Lebron's tweet?

Pretty clear that he's pointing out the biased nature behind the rule to trip up the success of Rich Paul and others who pave their own way.

No it is like proposed US Gun control legislation it protects people from themselves in this case draft prospects who play in the NCAA and its various organized sports divisions. Rich has conned a lot of guys using his relationship with Lebron and the NCAA wants to protect these good kids some are even minors if they are a freshman and have a birthday after they are drafted. We don't need con artists screwing over hardworking kids and their families. Enough is enough. Rich should go back to selling jerseys out of his car or perhaps the Kia Lebron got from Kia Motors to use in ads that he never drives lol. Or heck maybe Dick's Sporting Goods will hire him and he can drive Uber on the side like the main character in the recent Dave Bautista film Stuber with Kumail Nanjiani.
I haven’t heard of Rich Paul conning any players. I didn’t see anything with a quick google search either. Care to elaborate?
oceanlife
Junior
And1: 727

Post#53 » by oceanlife » Wed Aug 7, 2019 11:42 pm

FreeBoosie wrote:Can’t freakin stand Lebron and Rich Paul and I’m a longtime hater of theirs but this is just f’d up. Who’s NCAA to determine who the players pick as their agent especially since they leaving college anyways? There has to be a lobby of the Jewish agents which mostly likely includes Adam Silver that’s pushing the NCAA to do this. They just mad they’re not able to rob all of these young guys anymore lol

There's a lot of Jewish agents in the NBA, I think it's over 50% of them and most of the top agents just happen to be Jewish, but that doesn't mean there is a conspiracy. Maybe they are just good negotiators. Not that I spend all day thinking about race but a lot of the NBA is black, stuff like that doesn't mean there is a secret basketball conspiracy.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#54 » by kuclas » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:22 am

What’s the big deal.

Rich Paul can continue to do shady stuff. He can enroll in those for profit universities which over charges for people desperate to get a “degree”. It’s mostly online anyways. Paul can hire his peeps to get an online degree for him and stick it to the ncaa.

Remember a scammer will always be one step ahead of the game. So Paul can get an online degree in a couple of years. Than what can ncaa say than?
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#55 » by Vegeta10176 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:23 am

kuclas wrote:What’s the big deal.

Rich Paul can continue to do shady stuff. He can enroll in those for profit universities which over charges for people desperate to get a “degree”. It’s mostly online anyways. Paul can hire his peeps to get an online degree for him and stick it to the ncaa.

Remember a scammer will always be one step ahead of the game. So Paul can get an online degree in a couple of years. Than what can ncaa say than?

The only scammer here is the ncaa.. Paul has never scammed anyone while the NCAA scams all the collegw athletes.. Also why should Paul be forced to give those scam universities money the whole requirement is bs..
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#56 » by Vegeta10176 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 4:32 am

Sam195 wrote:
JR Hawks wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:
Why should he need a bachelor's degree? Did Zuckerberg finish college pretty sure he dropped out and yet still managing thousands of employees.. Please this is bs..

Please tell me you're not comparing Rich Paul to Mark Zuckerberg. Zuckerberg was an elite high school and college (Harvard, no less) student prior to needing to leave school to focus full-time on a revolutionary product he developed. Rich Paul should've already had a college degree by the time he joined up with LeBron.

Lmfao that is what I'm saying lol. Zuckerberg and Gates were early college age when they started their companies they looked at the opportunity cost and went all in on their ventures - they were both clearly smart enough to finish school if they had to. And it is not a race thing either even guys like Daymond John and Jay-Z who avoided college altogether started their careers in fashion, music and empire building in that early 19-21 age group where they weren't old enough to legally drink. Lmfao Rich Paul was flipping jerseys out of his car when he was 22 and he has been on the record before he was an agent that he barely finished high school. He has been riding Lebron's coattails to the bank ever since they met in an airport I think and Lebron asked him where he bought the jersey he was wearing and lmfao Rich apparently sold it to him on the spot and at least had the sense to exchange contact info since lol Lebron was famous even back then when he was a high school kid getting ready for the draft. Also Rich was just a member of Lebron's entourage basically all the way through the decision I think he transitioned to being his agent sometime during Lebron's Heat stint and it was one of the catalysts that severed the relationship the crew had with Pat Riley, Micky Arison and the Heat. People make it sound like Rich has been hustling as an agent since he got his high school diploma sorry he only has value because of his relationship with Lebron he is tied to the hip for life unless Lebron drops him.

So Rich Paul is a successful agent what's the problem? You all realize this won't actually affect rich Paul we are just using him as an example...
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#57 » by the_process » Thu Aug 8, 2019 5:55 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:
kuclas wrote:What’s the big deal.

The only scammer here is the ncaa.. Paul has never scammed anyone while the NCAA scams all the collegw athletes.. Also why should Paul be forced to give those scam universities money the whole requirement is bs..

This is ultimately what it’s about. How dare someone who didn’t even pay into the college system come in here and take our “student athletes” out of our arenas where they make us money hand over fist out of matriculation! :lol: The NCAA is a bunch of snobby elitist academic hypocrites.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#58 » by alienpick » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:09 am

Franco wrote:
DannyAingeIsGod wrote:
Franco wrote:

Even if (and it is an if) he is a kid, being called out for saying dumb **** based on hating isn’t a bad thing at all.

I don’t particularly give a **** about LeBron’s opinion in this, but the rule itself is in the best of cases shady, and in the worst both illegal and racist. People should be talking about it instead of just talking **** about a damn player.

How is what I said Lebron hate? The dudes a grown man throwing an emotional fit on Twitter. How is pointing that out hate? Pointing out facts isn’t hate. Do I need to buy you a dictionary for your birthday?

How exactly is the rule racist? I’m pretty sure people of all colours can get a degree. Rich Paul especially can quite easily get his degree.

How is it illegal? It’s their association, they can set the rules.

You’re the one sounding like a child. There’s no logic to your arguments; you’re just spouting off your emotions like Lebron with no thought what-so ever.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#59 » by alienpick » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:27 am

TimRobbins wrote:
Loneshot wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:Can someone explain Lebron's tweet?

Pretty clear that he's pointing out the biased nature behind the rule to trip up the success of Rich Paul and others who pave their own way.

That doesn't come out of the 140 characters, but OK.

Why would the NCAA be biased against Rich Paul? Is it a race thing?

Why would it be a race thing? Do you seriously think Rich Paul is the only black agent?

It is more of an academic elitist thing. It is an university association after all, they think everyone in life is garbage if they don’t have a receipt, sorry degree, for giving their institutions tens of thousands of dollars.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#60 » by Cassius » Thu Aug 8, 2019 7:23 am

The reason why it looks to be targeting Paul is that you have to have three years of NBA agent certification,in addition to the degree. So the only agents impacted are those who have already been practicing for three years but need a degree. The list of agents who fit this criteria has to be incredibly small.

I would wager a guess that Rich would need at least two years more work to finish his degree, which would restrict his eligibility to represent draft prospects just past the highly anticipated double draft coming in 2021.

Regardless, the NCAA is staring at a situation in 2019 where the NBA MVP didn't go to an NCAA school, the best NBA player of the past decade didn't go to an NCAA school, the ROY didn't go to an NCAA school, the DPOY didn't go to an NCAA school, and the #1 NBA prospect decided to go to Australia, instead of attending an NCAA school. The pipeline is cracked and hemorrhaging talent, so they're doing whatever they can to plug the leak.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.

Return to Wiretap Discussion