Shai Gilgeous-Alexander: "I Am Not Russell Westbrook"

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander: "I Am Not Russell Westbrook" 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:32 am

Shai Gilgeous-Alexander distanced himself from expectations of replacing Russell Westbrook's production next season. 

"I am not Russell Westbrook. We don't have the same name, the same body type, nothing like that. So I'm going to try to be myself and be the best me," said Gilgeous-Alexander.

Gilgeous-Alexander averaged 10.8 points and 3.3 in his rookie season.

He also discussed being mentored by Chris Paul, adding that the veteran point guard has already given him pointers.

"Some of the things I like to keep a secret. I've learned a lot from him in terms of thinking the game, angles, things like that. He's obviously a really good player. He's been a really good player for a really long time, and a guy that I looked up to growing up. I'll continue to learn from him as long as I get to."

Via ESPN

iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,320

Re: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander: 

Post#2 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:16 pm

Steve Ballmer had to pay the media to overhype Clippers and their above average roleplayers

It worked. Lol landed PG
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#3 » by D21 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:55 pm

DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:Steve Ballmer had to pay the media to overhype Clippers and their above average roleplayers

It worked. Lol landed PG

I don't from where it comes, but it's actually right that Gilgeous-Alexander is overrated in the media. Don't get me wrong, I hope for him that he will be a good player, but regarding his rookie season, media tend to forget or not see that LAC, a team that were +7pts between playing with or without Williams, +5.5pts for Berveley,... this team was at -7.3pts with Gilgeous-Alexander
He has a lot to prove, but they talk about him like the guy had a real impact on LAC last season, which is wrong
BasketballJunky
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#4 » by BasketballJunky » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:35 pm

Help me understand.

First, the 1st round picks that will be given away atleast 3/4 years after Kawhi and George leave the Clippers is what landed George.
Shai was a good addition to the trade.

For a 20 year old one and done rookie on a playoff team in the West...
10ppg 1 spg 3apg 26 minutes isn't a good start?

D21 wrote:
DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:Steve Ballmer had to pay the media to overhype Clippers and their above average roleplayers

It worked. Lol landed PG

I don't from where it comes, but it's actually right that Gilgeous-Alexander is overrated in the media. Don't get me wrong, I hope for him that he will be a good player, but regarding his rookie season, media tend to forget or not see that LAC, a team that were +7pts between playing with or without Williams, +5.5pts for Berveley,... this team was at -7.3pts with Gilgeous-Alexander
He has a lot to prove, but they talk about him like the guy had a real impact on LAC last season, which is wrong
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#5 » by alienpick » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:49 pm

D21 wrote:

It worked. Lol landed PG

Basketball is a team game. Beverly was obviously mostly on the floor with better players. Gilegeous-Alexander was obviously on the floor with far worse players. So the stats aren’t an exact science there. That said; there’s a reason why he played with worse players, so yes, he has a bunch to prove.

His rookie year stats aren’t bad though and we’ll see how much he can improve with CP3s mentoring.
iLLmatic860
General Manager
And1: 15,320

Post#6 » by iLLmatic860 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:23 pm

BasketballJunky wrote:Help me understand.

First, the 1st round picks that will be given away atleast 3/4 years after Kawhi and George leave the Clippers is what landed George.

D21 wrote:

It worked. Lol landed PG

I said he was overrated by the media.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#7 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:04 pm

"... as long as I get to."

TRANSLATION: CP3 and I have not traded contact information, because our FO is blowing up the phones trying to trade him to the highest bidder!

As for the topic of the article, I don't know why a reporter would is SGA is supposed to be the next Russell. He's not going to be the primary ball-handler, and their skill sets are not similar. It sounds like the reporter knows nothing about Shai. I'm pro-media, and this was lazy journalism.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Dick Tate
Starter
And1: 1,867

Post#8 » by Dick Tate » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:21 pm

DaT WaVeY RiCaN wrote:
BasketballJunky wrote:Help me understand.

D21 wrote:

I said he was overrated by the media.

The media hyped his potential, not as a player who has arrived. You’re going to have to wait a couple years to declare his potential has been overrated.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:28 pm

I am not Spartacus!
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Post#10 » by shrink » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:37 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:"... as long as I get to."

TRANSLATION: CP3 and I have not traded contact information, because our FO is blowing up the phones trying to trade him to the highest bidder!

I suspect this is instructed lip service to try to reduce one of the black marks on Chris Paul .. locker room cancer.

If he’s demanding the ball from James freakin’ Harden, I don’t see him embracing a mentor role to Shai so he could take more of his minutes.

I just don’t see anyone interested in trading for Paul. Very few teams need a PG, and even less want that PG and that contract.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#11 » by Baski » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:28 pm

Good. Good for Shai.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#12 » by br7knicks » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:22 pm

Baski wrote:Good. Good for Shai.

Yup. Agreed.

I'm sure OKC would rather he not be like Westbrook. I'm sure they'd rather see championships than stat whoring.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/

Return to Wiretap Discussion