Jason Kidd Played Initial Role In Lakers Signing Dwight Howard

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Jason Kidd Played Initial Role In Lakers Signing Dwight Howard 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:34 am

Dwight Howard first spoke with Jason Kidd about the possibility of joining the Los Angeles Lakers.

Howard and Kidd were teammates during the 2008 Olympics and continued to have a solid relationship.

Howard told Kidd that he'd learned from the past few seasons and is ready to be an effective role player. Kidd became convinced of Howard's evolution and the Lakers then needed to get on the same page with the likes of LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Rob Pelinka and Frank Vogel.

Howard scheduled a workout and meeting for Thursday, but he also went to the Lakers' facility for a training session on Wednesday. 

“Dwight didn’t need to be here the day before the actual workout,” one source said, “but he was.”

Howard looked healthy and fit during his workouts. 

League sources said Howard had a convincing and emotional meeting with the players and Lakers officials, explaining how he had reached rock bottom a season ago and needed to find a new mindset in his life. 

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Re: Jason Kidd Played Initial Role In Lakers Signing Dwight Howard 

Post#2 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:05 pm

Even though I'm a Magician first, I hope it's true that Dwight has finally humbled himself after all this time. I wish him well, but naturally will be a little salty should he win a ring riding the ghost of Lebron's coat tails.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#3 » by brackdan70 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:25 pm

Remarkable work by Kidd to help get him signed. Every team in the league was clamoring to give him an offer.

;)
Sign here
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#4 » by Cassius » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:28 pm

As a Raptors fan, I'm still amazed when I think of how the path of the Wizards has basically been the opposite of ours ever since that 2015 sweep. Champs baby!

On a separate vein, do you think Kobe is amused or annoyed that Dwight finally realizes he's Tyson Chandler?
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,530

Post#5 » by closg00 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:37 pm

Core personality traits do not change, we'll just have to see how annoying Dwight will be this year and how his personality meshes with this new group of players. I wish the Lakers the worst

Return to Wiretap Discussion