Caris LeVert Agrees To Three-Year, $52.5 Million Extension With Nets

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Caris LeVert Agrees To Three-Year, $52.5 Million Extension With Nets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:13 am

Caris LeVert has signed a three-year, $52.5 million extension with the Brooklyn Nets, league sources told Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.

LeVert's new deal will kick in during the 2020-21 season.

The 25-year-old LeVert was Sean Marks' first draft pick as Nets' general manager.

The Nets currently have $121 million in salary for the 2020-21 season. 

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

King4Day
RealGM
And1: 9,224

Re: Caris LeVert Agrees To Three-Year, $52.5 Million Extension With Nets 

Post#2 » by King4Day » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:55 am

Great for LaVert. Probably a tad overpay but if he waited a year, the Nets may have had to pay more.
"Sometimes, the dragon wins" #RallyTheValley
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#3 » by TimRobbins » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:20 am

That's going to be a bad contract.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#4 » by kamaze » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:33 am

Great value he was playing great before he got hurt and played good in the playoffs.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,967

Post#5 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:37 pm

DarkHawk wrote:Great for LaVert. Probably a tad overpay but if he waited a year, the Nets may have had to pay more.

true. or less. i think a great deal both ways because caris gets to be risk averse and secure the bag. if he recovers to where he was and continues his upward trajectory, he'll get paid again in 2 years via extension or 3 years in FA.

nets got to secure a key player since they'll be capped out. win-win.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#6 » by Cassius » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:01 pm

How are they going to pay Joe Harris?
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#7 » by luss54321 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:45 pm

kamaze wrote:Great value he was playing great before he got hurt and played good in the playoffs.

17 million per year for a SG who shoots 31% 3PT and 69% FT...? I think fans and GM's alike are having a hard time adjusting to the elevated importance of shooting in today's NBA. I have ZERO interest in starting a wing who cannot shoot the ball and effectively space the floor. Look at the other players making around 17 million. Clear overpay by BKN.
DannyAingeIsGod
Junior
And1: 39

Post#8 » by DannyAingeIsGod » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:49 pm

I hope someone can clue us all in on the contract. The only logic I can find to this deal remotely similar to other teams is Minnesota with Andrew Wiggins or New Orleans with Jrue Holiday; the team is over cap and now feel the need to overpay to retain the core.
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,967

Post#9 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:20 pm

Cassius wrote:How are they going to pay Joe Harris?

bird rights. they have a 4-year window to just go into the tax to keep the team together and contend for a title. risky financial move, but a chip in brooklyn could be a worthwhile return on investment.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#10 » by dice » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:11 pm

luss54321 wrote:
kamaze wrote:Great value he was playing great before he got hurt and played good in the playoffs.

17 million per year for a SG who shoots 31% 3PT and 69% FT...? I think fans and GM's alike are having a hard time adjusting to the elevated importance of shooting in today's NBA. I have ZERO interest in starting a wing who cannot shoot the ball and effectively space the floor. Look at the other players making around 17 million. Clear overpay by BKN.

he's 33% from 3 as a pro, 40% in college. 77% from the line in college too, and there's obviously no difference in distance there. he has the shooting ability

this deal does suggest to me that either he is overpaid or brogdon is underpaid
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#11 » by tmorgan » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:45 am

dice wrote:
luss54321 wrote:

he's 33% from 3 as a pro, 40% in college. 77% from the line in college too, and there's obviously no difference in distance there. he has the shooting ability

this deal does suggest to me that either he is overpaid or brogdon is underpaid

Brogdon probably is a tad underpaid, but that's not the whole deal here... LeVert is an extremely talented player that has more to his game than Brodgon. Malcolm is a much better shooter (he's better than almost everyone, really), but LeVert is a better athlete, playmaker, and at least potentially, defender. He needs to stay healthy, though. Some risk on both sides here. Good deal.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,749

Post#12 » by dougthonus » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:47 pm

Seems like a nice deal for both sides:

Why for LeVert?
17m a year is good per year money, probably more than he seems like he's worth right now and even if he improves he probably didn't have a ceiling that was considerably above this number. He locks up generational wealth and wasn't on a big rookie deal, so this is guaranteed piece of mind. Compared to someone like Nerlens Noel whom gambled and lost big because he wanted 100m instead of 80m (or wahtever it was) and then ended up with change in comparison it's a great deal.

Why for the Nets?
LeVert was going to enter FA in a class that was an abomination. He may have been one of the best players in it, and one of the very few wing players. If he had a good season then there's a good chance that he could have gotten a monster offer. Also, while the per year money is high on LeVert's present value, the lesser number of years mitigates their overall risk. If LeVert has a good season, this will end up being a solid extension.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Wiretap Discussion