Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving 'Pushing' Nets To Sign Carmelo Anthony

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving 'Pushing' Nets To Sign Carmelo Anthony 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:43 pm

Kyrie Irving and Carmelo Anthony are "pushing" the Brooklyn Nets to sign Carmelo Anthony, according to a source that spoke with Frank Isola of The Athletic.

Anthony hasn't played since the beginning of the 18-19 season with the Houston Rockets.

It is unclear if Sean Marks is willing to take a chance on signing Anthony.

Anthony was scheduled to work out with a group of New York Knicks on Thursday in Manhattan.

Anthony's camp remains optimistic he will sign with an NBA team this offseason.

Via Frank Isola/The Athletic

Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Re: Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving 'Pushing' Nets To Sign Carmelo Anthony 

Post#2 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:39 pm

He would actually be a great one-year placeholder for them. A fun season of chucking it up with no pressure. I could see them being a tough 1st round out.

Besides, Melo and Kyrie deserve each other. :D
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#3 » by cheese318 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:47 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:He would actually be a great one-year placeholder for them. A fun season of chucking it up with no pressure. I could see them being a tough 1st round out.

I agree this would be a perfect scenario. If he can play well with Kyrie and help make a playoff team that would be ideal until KD returns in 2020-21
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#4 » by Rek » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:05 pm

cheese318 wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:He would actually be a great one-year placeholder for them. A fun season of chucking it up with no pressure. I could see them being a tough 1st round out.

I agree this would be a perfect scenario. If he can play well with Kyrie and help make a playoff team that would be ideal until KD returns in 2020-21

And even better.. he would get to play in NY again. Maybe would be more surprising if this didn't happen.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#5 » by Tiny ball » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:15 pm

Tuff to make the playoffs.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#6 » by luss54321 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:50 pm

cheese318 wrote:

Melo and Kyrie would be the worst defensive duo in the NBA. Not sure that team makes the playoffs.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#7 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:19 pm

I'll get coach is wringing his hands in frustration hoping, praying Isola's "source," is just his brother in law. What fool thinks the Nets would make this kind of gamble when they got back ups of back ups better than Melo right now. Kyrie done signed. Kevin signed too. Management need to tell them to talk to the hand
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#8 » by jason bourne » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:31 pm

luss54321 wrote:Melo and Kyrie would be the worst defensive duo in the NBA. Not sure that team makes the playoffs.

I am quite excited about this development as it hurts the Nets defense and ball-stopper Melo will allow the team to stand around while he tries to get his shot off. It will mean less wear and tear of Durant and Irving as they can stand around. Melo should stay on over Chandler and retire as a Net.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#9 » by dice » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:06 pm

luss54321 wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

Melo and Kyrie would be the worst defensive duo in the NBA. Not sure that team makes the playoffs.

kyrie's D has improved significantly

a melo signing would be a big shoulder shrug. wouldn't move the needle one way or the other. the one thing he was always great at was ISO scoring. need a bucket w/ the game on the line, give it to melo. thing is, kyrie is the same way! which further dilutes melo's already very limited remaining value as a basketball player
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
BasketballJosh
Junior
And1: 35

Post#10 » by BasketballJosh » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:17 pm

luss54321 wrote:
cheese318 wrote:

We're talking the East here ... easily Top 4 team.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#11 » by Cassius » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:37 pm

BasketballJosh wrote:
We're talking the East here ... easily Top 4 team.

The Raptors, Pacers and Nets will fight for those 3-4 spots all season.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:41 pm

Tiny ball wrote:

Tuff to make the playoffs.

luss54321 wrote:Melo and Kyrie would be the worst defensive duo in the NBA. Not sure that team makes the playoffs.

The Nets are deep and will almost certainly be a playoff team in the East without Melo. Melo may not win them games but I don't think he'll lose them either. He's kind of a wash at this point.

BasketballJosh wrote:We're talking the East here ... easily Top 4 team.

I think they'd make the playoffs... but probably 6-8 and a 1st round exit. It would be fun though!
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#13 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:22 pm

My man left Steph and Klay to play with Kyrie and Melo. #culture
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
beavis15205
Junior
And1: 57

Post#14 » by beavis15205 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:27 am

KD stick to playing you obviously don't know how to assemble a team.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,554

Post#15 » by lonzo_pelota » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:53 am

smart move by the nets if they pull the trigger, if it works it works and they can take credit but if this newly assembled nets roster doesnt live up to expectations or make the playoffs like last season they can throw a bit of the blame on 1yr rental melo.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,501

Post#16 » by MagicFan101 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:02 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:My man left Steph and Klay to play with Kyrie and Melo. #culture

lol. You think his free agency was about basketball. You’re so cute!
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#17 » by Vegeta10176 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:09 am

beavis15205 wrote:KD stick to playing you obviously don't know how to assemble a team.

He won't be playing this year anyway taking a risk on Melo is a irrelevant year is not even a risk.. they already got Deandre signed probably get melo too
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#18 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:39 am

Brooklyn had a good thing going on and now they've signed two divas who think they can run the team and then take none of the blame when things don't work out.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#19 » by njknicks » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:15 am

While I do wish Melo can continue his career in the NBA - understanding how Sean Marks operates & masterfully re-constructed the team, he will not risk all the hard work the franchise has put in in order to allow players / not management to dictate the roster.

To have a winning culture, you have to have accountability - i.e. surround the team with quality / cohesive pieces. At this stage in his career, Melo is a quality player but he has proven with his recent stints that he is not one to be cohesive in fitting in and accepting a lesser role.

Ideal fit for Melo :

Indiana ( lacks depth at SF position )
Miami ( team lacks scoring, particularly @ SF )
Denver ( Team has great depth except for SF ... imagine Melo winning a title where it all began? )
Warriors ( When you lose KD -- would be an interesting replacement, team is hungry to prove they can win )
Spurs ( Popovich / Spurs might be the only team that can transform Melos mentality at this stage )

Where he goes -- hopefully is able to get one last run in the league. If not, this season, he must start looking overseas and capitalize on whats left of his star power.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#20 » by Pickled Prunes » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:34 am

njknicks wrote:While I do wish Melo can continue his career in the NBA - understanding how Sean Marks operates & masterfully re-constructed the team, he will not risk all the hard work the franchise has put in in order to allow players / not management to dictate the roster.

To have a winning culture, you have to have accountability - i.e. surround the team with quality / cohesive pieces. At this stage in his career, Melo is a quality player but he has proven with his recent stints that he is not one to be cohesive in fitting in and accepting a lesser role.

Ideal fit for Melo :

Indiana ( lacks depth at SF position )
Miami ( team lacks scoring, particularly @ SF )
Denver ( Team has great depth except for SF ... imagine Melo winning a title where it all began? )
Warriors ( When you lose KD -- would be an interesting replacement, team is hungry to prove they can win )
Spurs ( Popovich / Spurs might be the only team that can transform Melos mentality at this stage )

Where he goes -- hopefully is able to get one last run in the league. If not, this season, he must start looking overseas and capitalize on whats left of his star power.

All great... but Melo needs to be playing PF at this point. He can no longer guard wings. The Nets biggest need is at PF.

Return to Wiretap Discussion