Lakers Apply For $1.75M Disabled Player Exception For DeMarcus Cousins

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Lakers Apply For $1.75M Disabled Player Exception For DeMarcus Cousins 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Sep 9, 2019 3:12 pm

The Los Angeles Lakers have applied for a $1.75 million disabled player exception from the NBA for DeMarcus Cousins.

Cousins is expected to be out the entire 19-20 season with a torn ACL.

The Lakers signed Dwight Howard to give the team more depth at center following Cousins' injury.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

pass_it_around
Ballboy
And1: 4

Re: Lakers Apply For $1.75M Disabled Player Exception For DeMarcus Cousins 

Post#2 » by pass_it_around » Mon Sep 9, 2019 4:13 pm

or.. Lakers can wait for the league to suspend Cousins, then the Lakers would be off the hook for Cousins' contract. Just a thought, not an expert
Slava
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,446

Post#3 » by Slava » Mon Sep 9, 2019 5:01 pm

pass_it_around wrote:or.. Lakers can wait for the league to suspend Cousins, then the Lakers would be off the hook for Cousins' contract. Just a thought, not an expert

I'd presume any suspension would start after he is cleared to return. Otherwise it would be pointless.

The reason the Lakers don't outright waive him is because Anthony Davis lobbied him to sign with them and they obviously wouldn't want to piss him off having invested so much of their future there.
:king: + :angry: = :wizard:
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#4 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Sep 9, 2019 7:11 pm

Slava wrote:
pass_it_around wrote:or.. Lakers can wait for the league to suspend Cousins, then the Lakers would be off the hook for Cousins' contract. Just a thought, not an expert

I'd presume any suspension would start after he is cleared to return. Otherwise it would be pointless.

The reason the Lakers don't outright waive him is because Anthony Davis lobbied him to sign with them and they obviously wouldn't want to piss him off having invested so much of their future there.

Cousins will get paid either way. Cousins will get waived the minute they need the roster spot but there is no point in doing it before then.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#5 » by dan-man » Mon Sep 9, 2019 8:17 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Slava wrote:

Cousins will get paid either way. Cousins will get waived the minute they need the roster spot but there is no point in doing it before then.

His latest legal bills will eat up that laker contract pretty quick.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#6 » by dan-man » Mon Sep 9, 2019 8:18 pm

dan-man wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
Slava wrote:

His latest legal bills will eat up that laker contract pretty quick. Jeanie is probably wondering what the Women of Wrestling could have done with that 3.5 million
Mwd1981
Pro Prospect
And1: 124

Post#7 » by Mwd1981 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:46 am

Can’t wait until Cousins is blackballed. Do you want your kids behaving like him on/off court?
Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#8 » by Aussienet3 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:11 pm

Mwd1981 wrote:Can’t wait until Cousins is blackballed. Do you want your kids behaving like him on/off court?

I'm a long suffering Nets fan. I genuinely wanted us to draft him. But he will now be forever known as the 2nd coming of Derrick Coleman. Such a shame and such a waste. I mean who is educating these guys???
Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#9 » by Aussienet3 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:45 am

Mwd1981 wrote:Can’t wait until Cousins is blackballed. Do you want your kids behaving like him on/off court?

I'm a long suffering Nets fan. I genuinely wanted us to draft him. But he will now be forever known as the 2nd coming of Derrick Coleman. Such a shame and such a waste. I mean who is educating these guys???

Return to Wiretap Discussion