Wizards Publicly Reiterate Desire To Keep Bradley Beal Long-Term

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Wizards Publicly Reiterate Desire To Keep Bradley Beal Long-Term 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:30 pm

The Washington Wizards have been resistant to trade offers on Bradley Beal.

Beal will become a free agent in 2021 if he doesn't sign an extension before then.

"The way that I look at this is pretty simple: If you were looking to build a team, Brad would be the type of player anyone would want to start with," Tommy Sheppard told CBS Sports. "You look at the character, the talent, the age, just the whole package ... Brad is without a doubt a core player in this league. Every team would love to have him, and we do. So we've never considered anything other than a situation where Brad is with us and leading us forward. We made that clear to him on the first day we could offer him an extension, and we'll continue to make that clear."

Via Brad Botkin/CBS Sports

MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Re: Wizards Publicly Reiterate Desire To Keep Bradley Beal Long-Term 

Post#2 » by MagicBagley18 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:28 pm

Trade demand by all star break
Sublime187
Rookie
And1: 1,092

Post#3 » by Sublime187 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:44 pm

The question is why? You know you are not contending, trade him for young players or picks. Idiotic front office....
jayrehme
Sixth Man
And1: 508

Post#4 » by jayrehme » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:46 pm

Sublime187 wrote:The question is why? You know you are not contending, trade him for young players or picks. Idiotic front office....

" If you were looking to build a team, Brad would be the type of player anyone would want to start with,"
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#5 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:13 pm

jayrehme wrote:
Sublime187 wrote:The question is why? You know you are not contending, trade him for young players or picks. Idiotic front office....

" If you were looking to build a team, Brad would be the type of player anyone would want to start with,"

To Sublime187's point, the rationale is not clear when the player is not interested in re-signing. The countdown is on, the Wizards have 2 years before the chance that he leaves them with nothing in return. Every month that goes by will diminish his value, and if it comes to a trade demand as I assume it will, his value will immediately lower.

You can say that he's waiting to see whether he's supermax eligible next summer, and that's a valid point. The numbers he posted were impressive last season, no doubt. But I just can't wrap my head around a team that's not even threatening for the postseason, having a player finish on an All-NBA team, even the third team. The people that vote on this award know that compiling statistics on a listless team does not merit consideration.

Bottom line, a statement from Brad saying that he intends to stay would go a long way toward quelling the rumors, and Beal has been curiously silent.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#6 » by Chris3323 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:01 pm

Bradley Beal and Klay Thompson are almost identical.

If I were creating 2k ratings:
Klay: 94
Beal: 91

Perfect role playing star shooting gaurds, but not Superstar level where they can take over a game by themselves.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,773

Post#7 » by Johnny Bball » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:18 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:Trade demand by all star break

What do you think not signing the extension they offered was?
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#8 » by cheese318 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:29 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:
jayrehme wrote:

To Sublime187's point, the rationale is not clear when the player is not interested in re-signing. The countdown is on, the Wizards have 2 years before the chance that he leaves them with nothing in return. Every month that goes by will diminish his value, and if it comes to a trade demand as I assume it will, his value will immediately lower.

You can say that he's waiting to see whether he's supermax eligible next summer, and that's a valid point. The numbers he posted were impressive last season, no doubt. But I just can't wrap my head around a team that's not even threatening for the postseason, having a player finish on an All-NBA team, even the third team. The people that vote on this award know that compiling statistics on a listless team does not merit consideration.

Bottom line, a statement from Brad saying that he intends to stay would go a long way toward quelling the rumors, and Beal has been curiously silent.

Wow AD’s value shrunk over night too. I knew that’s why they only got Lonzo Ball. Comparatively speaking I get Beal is not AD. But when it comes to talent WAS will be able to abstract value from him whenever they determine its time because he is that damn talented and multiple parties will be involved for his services. Beal might just surprise people and sign longterm with WAS and hope to win like Lillard. Difference is Lillard has had some success with POR so it’s a bit different. We shall see but if I were WAS trading doesn’t always fix the problems at hand unless you get a major offer like NOP
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#9 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:34 am

Johnny Bball wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:Trade demand by all star break

What do you think not signing the extension they offered was?

Well actually if he wanted to stay with wizards makes more sense to not sign an extension until next summer to see if he can qualify for more money.

But I agree with your point
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#10 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:47 am

Wizards are hoping to dump wall somehow. Possible with Paul out there.

The whole story completely changes if they can.

If it becomes beals team I think he signs a 1+1. Wiz are being smart. They can sit on this at least until the trade deadline.

Trade now what do you get? If Boston's making a push to contend... Well wouldn't Beal fit right in. And they're sitting on a mountain of picks.

Think people
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#11 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:32 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:
jayrehme wrote:

A statement like this?

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Why do you think Beal has been silent?

He’s never been some Antonio Brown-type character who posts his whole life on social media. In fact I don’t think he’s thrilled to see his contract negotiations out in the open for public discussion. Dude is a lowkey family man, plus he and his wife just had their second this summer so pretty sure he’s got other things to worry about.

But where you’re wrong is that Beal has actually made many statements over the past year ; and all of them were consistent in their message, he wants to stay in DC and rumors of him wanting out are false . Look up anything he’s ever said since the media started this trade speculation

It’s this simple: Beal can secure an additional year of guaranteed money if he signs an extension next summer - instead of 3/$111M the deal goes up to 4/$168M. And there’s always the supermax possibility which, if he qualifies would be a whopping 5/$254M.

I don’t see why he needs to make a statement about something like this .. first of all it’s generally considered vain for pro athletes to openly talk about wanting more money - even though we all would do the same in their positions (esp someone like Beal who had injury concerns early in his career), it’s considered a bad look.

Secondly , Beal and his agent have met with the Wizards numerous times throughout this process. Even if he doesn’t sign now they know what he’s trying to do, the details will stay behind closed doors.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:46 am

Dr Huge Pecs wrote:Wizards are hoping to dump wall somehow. Possible with Paul out there.

The whole story completely changes if they can.

If it becomes beals team I think he signs a 1+1. Wiz are being smart. They can sit on this at least until the trade deadline.

Trade now what do you get? If Boston's making a push to contend... Well wouldn't Beal fit right in. And they're sitting on a mountain of picks.

Think people

I agree with you about the wiz hanging on to Beal, even through the season. He is likely to sign the super-max if the oppertunity arises.

What I don't understand is why people are linking Paul to Wall. It is true that they are both on huge contracts and both have drawbacks. But trading one for another makes no sense... especially for OKC. Wall has an extra year and a trade bonus. So OKC would be paying about $50M more to hopefully get the same number of games out of him. Of course WAS would like that because CP3 can play this year and he'll be a tradeable expiring a year sooner. But it makes absolutely no sense for OKC.

Wall would make far more sense for a team like CHA that wants to tank this year and has little hope of signing a star any time soon. Batum and Biambo for Wall? Maybe some picks attached?

CP3 could go to a playoff hopeful, CHI, MIA, MIN, etc. They all have painful contracts that they would be happy to part with to take a chance on CP3.
Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#13 » by Aussienet3 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:50 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:
jayrehme wrote:

The people that vote made Kemba Walker a very rich man. Kemba couldn't lead his team to the play offs. But was ok to make the 3rdteam? ridiculous. Now he has led the USA to a quarter final exit in the world cup.
yet people like Brad are being questioned?? I don't like it... Sorry for getting sidetracked lol
Aussienet3
Junior
And1: 90

Post#14 » by Aussienet3 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:55 am

Chris3323 wrote:Bradley Beal and Klay Thompson are almost identical.

Perfect role playing star shooting gaurds, but not Superstar level where they can take over a game by themselves.

Sorry. But Klay is on a whole other level. Klay should of been 3rd team NBA. I agree that Beal is a great player. I just don't think him and Klay are the same level.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#15 » by Vegeta10176 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:03 pm

Wait what can't take over a game by themselves.. I am sorry but we are talking about Klay Thompson here right 37 point in a qtr.. A 60 point game that he sat out the 4th qtr.. The saviour in 2016 game 6 of the WCF vs OKC did a similar feat against Houston in the WCF game 6 2018.. Probably would of won the title this year if Klay had stayed healthy.. Cant take over a game by himself.. You clearly never seen Klay play cause there's no way you can come to that conclusion.. Beal has never done anything to the level of Klay and I rate Beal but they are not the same..
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#16 » by The_Hater » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:

Wait what can't take over a game by themselves.. I am sorry but we are talking about Klay Thompson here right 37 point in a qtr.. A 60 point game that he sat out the 4th qtr.. The saviour in 2016 game 6 of the WCF vs OKC did a similar feat against Houston in the WCF game 6 2018.. Probably would of won the title this year if Klay had stayed healthy.. Cant take over a game by himself.. You clearly never seen Klay play cause there's no way you can come to that conclusion.. Beal has never done anything to the level of Klay and I rate Beal but they are not the same..

The 'Klay Thompson can't create his own shot' and 'Klay Thompson can't take over a game' are two of the biggest myths in NBA lore, but it doesn't stop far too many people from repeating them.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Chris3323
Pro Prospect

Post#17 » by Chris3323 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:

Klay is great, hence the 94 rating I just gave him. But he is not a Superstar that can create on his own, cant dribble well enough.

When klay gets hot, he cant miss. He just cant foul out other players since he cant get to the basket consistently.

Ray Allen or Steph Curry is a good example.
Chris3323
Pro Prospect

Post#18 » by Chris3323 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:57 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:

The 'Klay Thompson can't create his own shot' and 'Klay Thompson can't take over a game' are two of the biggest myths in NBA lore, but it doesn't stop far too many people from repeating them.

And many fans live in the "what if" world.

We will never see how great Klay is since he will always be second fiddle to Curry.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#19 » by The_Hater » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:02 pm

Chris3323 wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:

And many fans live in the "what if" world.

We will never see how great Klay is since he will always be second fiddle to Curry.

In games without Curry and KD in the lineup the past 6 years, including playoff games, Klay averages 28 ppg on a 60.0+ TS%.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#20 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:12 pm

Aussienet3 wrote:The people that vote made Kemba Walker a very rich man. Kemba couldn't lead his team to the play offs. But was ok to make the 3rdteam? ridiculous. Now he has led the USA to a quarter final exit in the world cup.
yet people like Brad are being questioned?? I don't like it... Sorry for getting sidetracked lol

Yes, Kemba stuck out as a lesser member of the All-NBA team this year. In my search last night, he was one of the very few examples I could find of someone making a team without guiding his team to the postseason. The final vote this year probably came down to him and Brad, and on the surface they have very similar statistics.

My guess is that the tiebreakers were team record, and overall positive contribution. Walker had a better team, 39 wins vs 32. And Walker had the better positive impact on the floor, a net rating of + 6 points per 48 compared to + 2.5 points per 48 for Beal. They look similar on the surface, but Walker was the right choice and Bradley couldn't make it even in a weak year.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin

Return to Wiretap Discussion