Michele Roberts Believes NBA Has 'Double Standard' On Criticizing Players Switching Teams

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Michele Roberts Believes NBA Has 'Double Standard' On Criticizing Players Switching Teams 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:08 pm

Michele Roberts told The Undefeated that she believes there is a “double standard” between how players are perceived when they choose to change teams versus franchises who decide to trade players.

“If you want to be critical of one, be critical of both,” Roberts said. “Those of us who made decisions to move, it’s really astounding to even consider what it feels like to be told in the middle of your life you are going to have to move. But that’s the business we’re in. …

“No one seems to spend a lot of time thinking about what it’s like to make those kinds of moves completely involuntarily. You volunteer to play or not play. But, yeah, if it’s still the case that if you think you’ve got to suck it up, player, then, hell, you’ve got to suck it up, team.”

This offseason, Anthony Davis and Paul George received criticism for requesting trades to the Los Angeles Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers respectively.

The Houston Rockets, however, received very little criticism for trading away Chris Paul.

“No one has said a word about what happens when the team precipitously trades a man, especially a family man, and the consequences that that has on him,” said Roberts. “We spend so much time criticizing a player’s decision to move but no time wondering or thinking is anything contoured about a team’s decision to move a player.

“Now, I don’t think either one of them is evil. If a team has the right to trade you, then that’s the way it works. Similarly, if a player has the right to leave, that’s the way it works too. If the team doesn’t want to trade the player, it doesn’t.”

Roberts believes players are held to a different standard.

“There’s just a perception that owners have rights and players don’t,” Roberts said. “I mean it’s unfortunate that we tend to, on some levels, continue to view players as property as opposed to people. And so, you allow for a certain flexibility as you exercise your property rights that somehow appear to be more compelling than a player’s individual freedom.

“And I can’t figure it out except that there is still this perception that you are property, the team is property and I can manage my property any way I want. If you think that property rights are significant, then they must think you have to believe that individual liberty is significant, but not as significant? So, in my view, more significant. I don’t know why, and it could be because there’s some issues involving race and class and a number of things, but I don’t know that I know why it is. I just know that it is.”

Via Marc J. Spears/The Undefeated

Fattz
Junior
And1: 12

Re: Michele Roberts Believes NBA Has 'Double Standard' On Criticizing Players Switching Teams 

Post#2 » by Fattz » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:20 pm

Lacking logic. Paul wanted out and hurt the team with his exit. The trade long term when ALL the FRP come due will not be easily overcome. According to Roberts the Rockets didn’t take care of him, so the team gets criticized.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Re: Michele Roberts Believes NBA Has 'Double Standard' On Criticizing Players Switching Teams 

Post#3 » by br7knicks » Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:35 pm

Fattz wrote:Lacking logic. Paul wanted out and hurt the team with his exit. The trade long term when ALL the FRP come due will not be easily overcome. According to Roberts the Rockets didn’t take care of him, so the team gets criticized.

yeah. she's way off. pretty sure a lot of people felt bad for derozan. there have been articles about how badly some players never want to leave (not always because of a team's success, but because they love it there).

so there's no double standard, not to the severity she's stating. she's way off.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Nikola
Pro Prospect
And1: 333

Post#4 » by Nikola » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:05 pm

Double standards exist. Deal with it.
Saints14
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,461

Post#5 » by Saints14 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:15 pm

It isn’t fair, but fan interest aligns more with owners than players. Most fans root for teams, so players demanding a trade are perceived as letting the fans down. Owners and management get plenty of criticism when their actions harm team performance
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#6 » by alienpick » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:37 pm

Nikola wrote:Double standards exist. Deal with it.

haha exactly
NYKnickerbocker
RealGM
And1: 13,513

Post#7 » by NYKnickerbocker » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:13 am

Oh well. Most people are fans of teams. If you leave my team by choice. In most situations I’m not gunna like ya ass anymore lol. It’s sports. Wipe your tears with your millions If you get traded and suck it up
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#8 » by Blue_and_Whte » Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:25 am

She's way off. If a player demands a trade especially one the caliber of AD teams rarely get fairly compensated. I know in the Pels case they got a decent return, but alot of teams get handcuffed especially if the player demands a move to a specific team. Also guys dont play as hard knowing theyre about to be traded (See AD)
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,895

Post#9 » by Jabroni Lames » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:01 am

Give it rest. Nobody feels sorry for these rich, spoiled, entitled athletes anymore. Nor should they.

If $30M/yr can't buy you a thick skin.... you're in the wrong business.
warren4prez
Junior
And1: 51

Post#10 » by warren4prez » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:05 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:She's way off. If a player demands a trade especially one the caliber of AD teams rarely get fairly compensated. I know in the Pels case they got a decent return, but alot of teams get handcuffed especially if the player demands a move to a specific team. Also guys dont play as hard knowing theyre about to be traded (See AD)

She’s spot on. When players sign contract with a team the saying is he should honor that contract, however if a team decides a player the owners aren’t accountable, followed by its a business and this is best for the team. Now when a player requests a trade all of a sudden the player is frowned upon. I’m glad to see players with a little power and use it for there best interest. What makes it worse teams will trade players with no kind of communication at all. Countless players have found out they’ve been traded by news, social media or fans which is very unprofessional! Heck a Harrison Barnes was traded during game. Anyways you can’t have it both ways and owners are mad because they don’t have that power like they use to.
jayrehme
Sixth Man
And1: 508

Post#11 » by jayrehme » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:06 am

Who is Michele Roberts, and why do we care what she thinks?
warren4prez
Junior
And1: 51

Post#12 » by warren4prez » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:12 am

jayrehme wrote:Who is Michele Roberts, and why do we care what she thinks?

Wow!! Dude do your research.If you’re going to comment make sure you understand what’s going on before responding.
jayrehme
Sixth Man
And1: 508

Post#13 » by jayrehme » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:13 am

warren4prez wrote:

Wow!! Dude do your research.If you’re going to comment make sure you understand what’s going on before responding.

What I said is still valid. They should say who she is.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#14 » by jason bourne » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:21 am

This comment makes Michele Roberts look like a dumb beotch. It's not the NBA, but fans are going to root for their teams and players who are going to be on it. If a player gets traded, then they want an even trade or better. The same if a player leaves a team such as a sign-and-trade, but sometimes they are UFA and they leave without the team getting any compensation. Of course, the fans are going to complain and once the player leaves they become the enemy. Since LeBron, the players have gotten together and colluded to form a superteam. This becomes public knowledge. The NBA could do something about tampering and increase fines for both team management and players. They may put a fine on a player if they publicly request a player on another team to be traded like Kawhi did. KD stating that he wanted Golden State to give up a draft pick in a sign-and-trade could be considered tampering since it's being made in public and not by the negotiating parties.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
babyshaq3
Sophomore
And1: 148

Post#15 » by babyshaq3 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:50 am

They should have a free market - no salary cap and no guaranteed contract. No complaint.

Everything is negotiated. You can negotiate a no-trade clause or you can negotiate one year contract so you have the freedom to move team every year.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,801

Post#16 » by HotelVitale » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:24 am

warren4prez wrote:She’s spot on. When players sign contract with a team the saying is he should honor that contract, however if a team decides a player the owners aren’t accountable, followed by its a business and this is best for the team. Now when a player requests a trade all of a sudden the player is frowned upon. I’m glad to see players with a little power and use it for there best interest. What makes it worse teams will trade players with no kind of communication at all. Countless players have found out they’ve been traded by news, social media or fans which is very unprofessional! Heck a Harrison Barnes was traded during game. Anyways you can’t have it both ways and owners are mad because they don’t have that power like they use to.

I'm hardcore pro-player in things like contract negotiation and revenue sharing, but this is totally missing the context. Fans generally root for teams, not players, and fans want to see their team succeed--in general a player demanding a trade massively screws up a team's plans (and often undermines their leverage), while a team trading a player without pressure is almost always something done for strategic, pro-team reasons. There's no equivalence there--a fan simply does not root for a player to have fun and maximize his career equally to a team being successful--so no point in calling out a double standard.
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,145

Post#17 » by druggas » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:40 am

She is a nobody and we don't care what she thinks.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#18 » by Cookin Baskets » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:16 am

I agree owners aren't nearly held to the same standards. Don't be busy criticizing the million dollar athletes when you could be critical of the billion dollar owners who control a lot of the things that go down in the league. That is how I feel about sports in general. I have no problem with players requesting trades whatsoever. Nobody wanted to see Anthony Davis or Paul George struggle to make the playoffs on their old teams.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 468

Post#19 » by Future Coach » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:20 am

HotelVitale wrote:
warren4prez wrote:She’s spot on. When players sign contract with a team the saying is he should honor that contract, however if a team decides a player the owners aren’t accountable, followed by its a business and this is best for the team. Now when a player requests a trade all of a sudden the player is frowned upon. I’m glad to see players with a little power and use it for there best interest. What makes it worse teams will trade players with no kind of communication at all. Countless players have found out they’ve been traded by news, social media or fans which is very unprofessional! Heck a Harrison Barnes was traded during game. Anyways you can’t have it both ways and owners are mad because they don’t have that power like they use to.

I'm hardcore pro-player in things like contract negotiation and revenue sharing, but this is totally missing the context. Fans generally root for teams, not players, and fans want to see their team succeed--in general a player demanding a trade massively screws up a team's plans (and often undermines their leverage), while a team trading a player without pressure is almost always something done for strategic, pro-team reasons. There's no equivalence there--a fan simply does not root for a player to have fun and maximize his career equally to a team being successful--so no point in calling out a double standard.

Absolutely correct. Very few NBA fans will be more hardcore fans of a specific player than they are of any given team. This is partially because players move around, but also because the team was there before the player & the team will remain long after the player retires.

For example, I am lifelong Bulls fan. Michael Jordan is my favorite basketball player, & by a considerable gap in front of #2. When Jordan went to the Wizards, I did begin to like the Wizards more, but the Bulls were still #1 (just as Jordan was/is). & when Jordan fully retired & bought the Hornets/Bobcats, I did begin to watch & like them more, but the Bulls are still my favorite team.

Ultimately, some of the players are just way too sensitive about how all of this works. If they can't deal with fans cheering one moment & angry at them the next, then they are in the wrong business. That is part of the entertainment factor for many fans, & entertained fans is why the entertainers that fill out the roster's of each NBA team get the millions of $s that they do. If they want to be treated normally & not have to deal with fans, they can try to get a regular job with a regular salary.

And all of this is inappropriate for Michele Roberts to speak about in an official capacity. A bit embarrassing for the players she is speaking on behalf of. Or at least it should be embarrassing for them
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,762

Post#20 » by Johnny Bball » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:27 am

“If you want to be critical of one, be critical of both,”

No. No I won't.

Return to Wiretap Discussion