NBA Will Add Section Within Traveling Rule To Define 'Gather'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,186

Re: NBA Will Add Section Within Traveling Rule To Define 'Gather' 

Post#21 » by Tofubeque » Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:54 pm

This is the “dumbass NBA commentator” clarification. Maybe now Shaq and Kenny won’t try to say Giannis traveled on a breakaway by counting 8 steps before he picks up the f’n ball.

If your hand isn’t UNDERNEATH the ball, and both hands aren’t touching it, and it’s still spinning and not palmed, then it hasn’t been gathered. It doesn’t matter how many steps the player takes in what direction, and how long it’s been since the ball hit the floor. Shockingly many commentators seem to have never learned this, or they’re just playing on a popular meme of “that’s not a travel that’s a journey” or “he took ten steps LOL”
props Turbozone
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#22 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:32 am

br7knicks wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
Based on the FiBA definition of travel, which they changed only 2-3 years ago, what Harden does is legal. I would imagine the NBA is going to adopt similar wording so what Harden does will remain legal in their league as well.

Besides, the gather that Harden does on the perimeter is the same gather that players driving to the basket have done for years. We just aren't accustomed to seeing it beginning from a standstill and moving laterally or away from the basket. It's a tough play to call and it needed clarification.

i have yet to see any player driving to the hoop do something like this, at least not named harden or james

and if they're going to make what harden does on a nightly basis legal, why dribble at all? don't even need to put air in the ball. just make it a football at this point, and just start chucking it from anywhere you're running to

Jurry wrote:F it. Give em a gather + 3 and a half steps and by three and a half I mean 5. Plus a hop step plus a shimmy shake plus a foot slide. plus a wiggle foot plus a skanky leg.

Well, according to what's being said and discussed, harden should be allowed to do the cha Cha slide without ever having to dribble.

It's like we're talking about 2 completely different sports. Or at least with people who have never played competitive basketball. More than 3 steps is a travel. Harden and James are exempt from it, why?

So what you're basically saying is... Harden got away with a travel and you have it on film... therefore everything he does is a travel. Sounds like blind hate. Good Luck with that.

And you've never seen a player diving to the hoop do something like that? Wow... time to educate yourself! :D

GreatWhiteStiff
RealGM
And1: 12,413

Post#23 » by GreatWhiteStiff » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:04 am

Tofubeque wrote:This is the “dumbass NBA commentator” clarification. Maybe now Shaq and Kenny won’t try to say Giannis traveled on a breakaway by counting 8 steps before he picks up the f’n ball.

If your hand isn’t UNDERNEATH the ball, and both hands aren’t touching it, and it’s still spinning and not palmed, then it hasn’t been gathered. It doesn’t matter how many steps the player takes in what direction, and how long it’s been since the ball hit the floor. Shockingly many commentators seem to have never learned this, or they’re just playing on a popular meme of “that’s not a travel that’s a journey” or “he took ten steps LOL”

Thanks for this. I feel like I've been misinformed or confused for a long time by these clowns.

Let's playin for 9th!

"OG puts the clamps on point guards like Trae Young." -DelAbbot
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#24 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:35 pm

LesGrossman wrote:I wonder why everyone is so focussed on harden when the guy they invented the whole "gather" for is noone else than LeBron "crab dribble" James himself. Nothing Harden does or did comes close to Bron catching a ball on the move, takign three steps before even considering the first and only dribble, and then taking four more steps - essentially crossing full court with one dribble - just to dunk against noone in particular, to the cheers and wows of the crowd, announcers and refs.

I just love the ridiculousness of this post AND the fact that it's so close to 100% accuracy! Well done.

And don't forget if it looks like you might want to play defense on him.... that's 2 shots.

I do get why people are focused on harden though, not only does he routinely travel he ends up at the foul line for double digits every game.

We are 2 seasons away from Harlem Globetrotters rules.

Return to Wiretap Discussion