Re: NBA Ditched Proposal Requiring Teams To Turn In Agents Who Approach Them Before Free Agency

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

NBA Ditched Proposal Requiring Teams To Turn In Agents Who Approach Them Before Free Agency 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:11 pm

The NBA Board of Governors unanimously approved new measures to curb tampering in the NBA.

One item that was discussed but eventually abandoned was requiring teams to turn agents into the NBA if they approached them prior to the start of free agency.

"I think Adam Silver really targeted the owners on this one and made this a conversation with them," said Adrian Wojnarowski on his podcast. "I know they did go to every team's basketball ops to get a sense of how some things in practice, some things they had in theory might go in practice.

"I know one thing they backed off that after talking to some teams was the idea that if an agent approaches a team about talking about a free agent prior to the June 30th, 6 PM, that you had to immediately turn them on and they realized that's not really how the real world is going to work. It's probably not beneficial for relationships. No one would do it."

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

MartyConlonJr
General Manager
And1: 2,434

Re: NBA Ditched Proposal Requiring Teams To Turn In Agents Who Approach Them Before Free Agency 

Post#2 » by MartyConlonJr » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:58 pm

"if an agent approaches a team about talking about a free agent prior to the June 30th, 6 PM, that you had to immediately turn them on"

Ha.
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,256

Post#3 » by GBPackers47 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:20 pm

MartyConlonJr wrote:
"if an agent approaches a team about talking about a free agent prior to the June 30th, 6 PM, that you had to immediately turn them on"

Ha.

Ha is right.
iliyanvs
Freshman
And1: 21

Post#4 » by iliyanvs » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:30 pm

If they had accepted it, no one would follow this rule, maybe even agents would have approached players directly (not that they aren't right now.)

Sent from my CLT-L29 using RealGM mobile app
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#5 » by jason bourne » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:51 am

Silver is too weak as commish. He needs to take action if something like this happened and he had evidence whether someone turned it in or not.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage

Return to Wiretap Discussion