Strauss: Warriors Acquired D'Angelo Russell To Keep Him

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Strauss: Warriors Acquired D'Angelo Russell To Keep Him 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:00 pm

When the Golden State Warriors acquired D'Angelo Russell via a four-year, $117 million sign-and-trade, many went on record expecting him to eventually be traded for a player that fits better with their existing roster.

"There’s a strong possibility that the Warriors actually want their newest big acquisition for seasons beyond this one," writes Ethan Strauss on The Athletic. "Their front-office leaders, Joe Lacob and Bob Myers both, are as smitten with him as any team that just selected a top-5 player in the draft."

Strauss also writes that the Warriors have consistently signaled they didn't acquire Russell to merely trade him at a later date.

"After doing a little digging, I’ve come to buy the Warriors front office on this one," writes Strauss. "I believe that the Warriors’ public messaging actually matches their private beliefs."

Via Ethan Strauss/The Athletic

TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 516

Re: Strauss: Warriors Acquired D'Angelo Russell To Keep Him 

Post#2 » by TheCage4 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:04 pm

Well, he gone.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#3 » by Spud2nique » Thu Oct 3, 2019 3:51 pm

Lol this guy trusts the Warriors front office. What a frickin idiot! Strauss, ok never read his stuff again.
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Post#4 » by Bentley1225 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:01 pm

He's the best asset they could have gotten to help manage the Klay Thompson injury. I fully expect Warriors FO to start shopping him closer to trade deadline for a wing once Klay is healthy.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,373

Post#5 » by Billl » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:17 pm

What do you expect them to say?
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#6 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:18 pm

Isn't that what you WOULD say to drive his value up?

Yet, GM's will fall for it. Minnesota really wanted him, and I think they will sell the farm to pair him with his good friend KAT.
Wiggins will finally start to look like a star, and boom, traded. I personally don't like him for all the snitchgate reasons.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,047

Post#7 » by Lalouie » Thu Oct 3, 2019 4:52 pm

didn't we see this news like 2 months ago?
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#8 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Oct 3, 2019 5:39 pm

Lalouie wrote:didn't we see this news like 2 months ago?

You know it's the offseason when they just recycle headlines from 2 months ago. I'm hearing that Kawhi wants to sign in LA too.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#9 » by anatomicbomb » Thu Oct 3, 2019 6:21 pm

Annnnd we've just started our 2nd lap of the offseason talking points.

Can't wait to hear what will happen at FIBA this time :lol:

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#10 » by Killboard » Thu Oct 3, 2019 6:36 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:He's the best asset they could have gotten to help manage the Klay Thompson injury. I fully expect Warriors FO to start shopping him closer to trade deadline for a wing once Klay is healthy.

Robert Covington says hello.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,319

Post#11 » by Scalabrine » Thu Oct 3, 2019 6:58 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:He's the best asset they could have gotten to help manage the Klay Thompson injury. I fully expect Warriors FO to start shopping him closer to trade deadline for a wing once Klay is healthy.

Russell is a wing, no?
Go Knicks!
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,559

Post#12 » by dc » Thu Oct 3, 2019 8:15 pm

Killboard wrote:

I seriously doubt the Warriors gave up Igoudala and 2 protected 1sts so they could wind up with something like Dieng and Robert Covington.

The Warriors would definitely trade him in the right scenario, but it would have to be something very appealing to them. Remember, they didn't just get Russell for free. They had to give up some assets along with giving him a MAX deal.

They like Russell and by no means do they have to trade him.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,416

Post#13 » by shrink » Thu Oct 3, 2019 8:31 pm

Isn’t it ironic that they received the ONLY player in the NBA that they could get to not lose Durant for nothing, a guy that plays the same position as their HOF Star, and then a writer who came up from “Warrior’s World” is saying what the owners want out in the media — that that specific player may be a real fit that they don’t want to trade?

I’m skeptical to say the least, and I think this is just an example of a writer parroting the company line for the owners to improve trade value, in exchange for some team access later. I hope no one acquiesces to these tactics, and the Warriors choke on Russell. I think after three bad seasons, his single season of success on a team built to help him get the Nets to 42-40 is a fluke.
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,047

Post#14 » by Lalouie » Thu Oct 3, 2019 8:37 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:
Lalouie wrote:didn't we see this news like 2 months ago?

You know it's the offseason when they just recycle headlines from 2 months ago. I'm hearing that Kawhi wants to sign in LA too.

i think he's going to pick the lakers
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#15 » by Killboard » Thu Oct 3, 2019 9:20 pm

dc wrote:
Killboard wrote:

I seriously doubt the Warriors gave up Igoudala and 2 protected 1sts so they could wind up with something like Dieng and Robert Covington.

The Warriors would definitely trade him in the right scenario, but it would have to be something very appealing to them. Remember, they didn't just get Russell for free. They had to give up some assets along with giving him a MAX deal.

I was considering Roco and Teague, not Dieng, since Teague is expiring and could be a good backup for the playoffs. I don't know what other teams should be willing to offer but Covington is pretty similar to Durant on defense and should be good for pace and space in offense for a very good contract.
Adam Stern
Sixth Man
And1: 1,767

Post#16 » by Adam Stern » Thu Oct 3, 2019 9:31 pm

In other words his stock is relatively flat right now and we're planting this narrative to try to pump up his value.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#17 » by LakersLegacy » Thu Oct 3, 2019 10:15 pm

If Klay was healthy DAngelo would be more expendable. They need DAngelo to get to the play-offs. Once Klay comes back the Warriors will be very dangerous. Just as dangerous as when they won their first championship
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,520

Post#18 » by dice » Thu Oct 3, 2019 10:24 pm

dc wrote:
Killboard wrote:

they gave him the max deal because it allows them to trade him for high dollar assets that are actually WORTH the money. it assumes that some team is actually dumb enough to trade for his deal, but there probably will be
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,520

Post#19 » by dice » Thu Oct 3, 2019 10:24 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:Isn't that what you WOULD say to drive his value up?

Yet, GM's will fall for it. Minnesota really wanted him, and I think they will sell the farm to pair him with his good friend KAT.
Wiggins will finally start to look like a star, and boom, traded. I personally don't like him for all the snitchgate reasons.

a star? wiggins? how 'bout we start w/ nba material?
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
tor1234567
Rookie
And1: 990

Post#20 » by tor1234567 » Fri Oct 4, 2019 3:20 am

dc wrote:
Killboard wrote:

Actually they do have to trade him if they want to avoid paying the repeater tax.

The repeater tax is absolutely insane.

If a solid starting caliber wing like Covington is available, along with another expiring to make salaries match... Golden State will trade Russell. Covington would be a great asset, and all it costed them was the corpse of Iggy and two late firsts.

Return to Wiretap Discussion