Adam Silver: NBA Has Already Had Economic Impact From Daryl Morey Tweet

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Adam Silver: NBA Has Already Had Economic Impact From Daryl Morey Tweet 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Oct 7, 2019 6:26 pm

Adam Silver expounded upon the NBA's current situation regarding China and comments from Daryl Morey.

“There is no doubt, the economic impact is already clear,” Silver told reporters in Tokyo on Monday. “There have already been fairly dramatic consequences from that tweet, and I have read some of the media suggesting that we are not supporting Daryl Morey, but, in fact, we have.

“I think as a values-based organization that I want to make it clear … Daryl Morey is supported in terms of his ability to exercise his freedom of expression,” Silver continued. “... The fact we have apologized to fans in China is not inconsistent with supporting someone’s right to have a point of view.”

Hong Kong has seen a string of massive demonstrations sparked by concerns about a proposed extradition law that would allow the transfer of suspects accused of a crime to jurisdictions with which the city lacks an extradition deal, including mainland China.

"There are the values that have been part of this league from its earliest days, and that includes free expression," Silver said.

"I accept that it is also Chinese governments' and Chinese businesses' right to react to those words and, at least from my long-time experience in the NBA, it will take some time to heal some of these issues."

"We are a platform in which people can engage and I would like to believe that for each side who believes they have a point of view here, that this engagement is positive."

Via Kyodo News

Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 370

Re: Adam Silver: NBA Has Already Had Economic Impact From Daryl Morey Tweet 

Post#2 » by Elnegron » Mon Oct 7, 2019 7:27 pm

There is nothing positive about this when you start by talking about economic impact. You choosing money and pressure from a repressive country over the fake outrage of social justice in America and I say fake because stars like LeBron and wade as well as Kerr and Greg were frothing at the mouth over a take your knee during national anthem when China is harvesting organs from Muslims and so on. Gtfoh with this crap
Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#3 » by Chris3323 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 9:30 pm

Who needs who?
DarthTeufel
Junior
And1: 641

Post#4 » by DarthTeufel » Mon Oct 7, 2019 9:55 pm

Proof the NBA or any of these guys don't give two **** about "social justice issues".

If it involves losing $$ or speaking out against a communist regime guilty of tyranny 1000x worse than anything in America, better shut up and dribble.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#5 » by TheCage4 » Mon Oct 7, 2019 9:58 pm

The NBA is all about $$$ and nothing else. On court sponsors, jersey sponsors, gambling partnerships, mega TV deals, etc.

China is a gigantic market, and a basketball crazed one at that. The NBA does not want to lose that cash flow. Even with the African pro league debuting in 2020 and the possibility of a future league in India combined, I don’t believe it would equal what we gain from China.

Silver is in damage control mode now.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#6 » by IWishIWasHarden » Mon Oct 7, 2019 10:02 pm

The only thing the NBA supports is money.

When the impact of Daryl Morey's tweets exceeds that of China back in the USA, Silver would no longer support Morey in the US.
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#7 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Tue Oct 8, 2019 1:10 am

IWishIWasHarden wrote:The only thing the NBA supports is money.

When the impact of Daryl Morey's tweets exceeds that of China back in the USA, Silver would no longer support Morey in the US.

Yeah....not buying it. The gm of the nba team that has catered to chinese fans the most, who lives in a city with a huge Chinese population decides to send out this tweet....uh huh.... because he cares so much. What? The rockets have been catering to the PRC since yao ming, but daryl morey suddenly tweets out about a high profile political topic against china... because he loves freedom?

Then why have you been catering to that famously repressive country for so long daryl?

And silver...f off
A huge economic impact? Really? Like what, illegal streaming revenue is down? I doubt jersey sales will be down beyond Houston. I doubt EA sport will lose money. Weibo and tencent wont cover the rockets big Fing deal. They don't cover all teams. Theyll move to brooklyn, you know the team with the taiwanese owner and very close ties to china.

Maybe the nba is setting this up for some reason...or maybe daryl morey wants out of houston. Maybe he hates the new owners so much hes trying to tank them, so now the nba is forcing him to apologize...or else.

Guess china will have to put away their harden jerseys and buy new kd in brooklyn ones once kd says something about how morey's tweet wasn't smart or informed enough.

Gee the nba would hate that....

Anyone who takes this at surface value is....well yall gettin fooled, is what it is.
FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 119

Post#8 » by FreeBoosie » Tue Oct 8, 2019 3:33 am

It’s all about the Benjamins

Return to Wiretap Discussion