Re: Rob Pelinka Believes Front Offices Must Treat 'Superstars Like Partners'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Rob Pelinka Believes Front Offices Must Treat 'Superstars Like Partners' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Oct 8, 2019 1:17 pm

During the Los Angeles Lakers' 2019 free agency, Rob Pelinka closely worked with LeBron James and Anthony Davis.

Davis wasn't previously consulted on minor moves when with the New Orleans Pelicans.

"We were doing constant calls about, 'What do you think of this or this player?" Davis said. "Rob was almost like a stalking girlfriend. He was an agent, so he's played both sides. He knows that in order for stuff to work the players have to be involved. And he tried to make sure that LeBron and I were involved as much as possible. During free agency, every decision I got a text or a call, even just two minutes, 'Look, this is going on. ... How do you feel? OK, cool.'

"Every single decision. I [have] never been involved so much. No matter who the player was, he wanted to make sure. It was on everything. And it was like, 'Wow.' To the point where I was like, 'All right, Rob, stop calling me.'"

Pelinka believes NBA front offices need to treat "superstars like partners" in this current era. Pelinka estimates he's had hundreds of three-way calls with James and Davis since the trade.

Via Dave McMenamin/ESPN

Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,772

Post#2 » by Johnny Bball » Tue Oct 8, 2019 2:29 pm

Making your partners 20 somethings that have no real life experience yet and no real experience in the GM job sounds like a fantastic idea for LAL that can’t go wrong at all.
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#3 » by TheBoi10 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 3:07 pm

Why is he talking as if hes some master strategist.
flipside21
Veteran
And1: 896

Post#4 » by flipside21 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 3:33 pm

Keeping key stakeholders engaged is always going to be a good, sound business strategy - and treating the NBA like a business is good business. That said, problem is gonna be deliniating who gets a say and who doesn't. At what point is Kyle Kuzma gonna get upset that no one asked him what he thought of adding Quinn Cook?

Sports is funny because you can't delineate by corporate level like you can in a company - maybe it's easy to differentiate Lebron and AD from everyone else - but short of drawing this treatment at "all stars only" or "All NBA players only" you run the risk of a slippery slope.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#5 » by TheCage4 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 3:59 pm

The last I checked, puppets only had one hole for operation. Pelinka, you a naughty boy.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#6 » by JellosJigglin » Tue Oct 8, 2019 4:20 pm

flipside21 wrote:Keeping key stakeholders engaged is always going to be a good, sound business strategy - and treating the NBA like a business is good business. That said, problem is gonna be deliniating who gets a say and who doesn't. At what point is Kyle Kuzma gonna get upset that no one asked him what he thought of adding Quinn Cook?

Sports is funny because you can't delineate by corporate level like you can in a company - maybe it's easy to differentiate Lebron and AD from everyone else - but short of drawing this treatment at "all stars only" or "All NBA players only" you run the risk of a slippery slope.

I think it's the opposite. Your worth is easier to measure in sports. Rob made clear to say "superstars". At any given time there's at most maybe 10 superstars in the NBA. It's obvious to the players and FO's who those guys are. There is a distinct line between superstar and other players. Not a slippery slope.

The Lakers have always operated this way under the Buss family. Dr. Buss and Magic Johnson had a very tight knit partnership. Magic infamously wanted Paul Westhead fired and he got his way.

In the corporate world there's a whole lot more office politics that goes on and often people who don't deserve a promotion get one. The best don't always move up. Unfortunately Jeannie Buss runs the business side and she's guilty of this. That's how you end up with Kurt and Linda Rambis having a voice in basketball decisions. Are they the most qualified? Well they're personal friends of Jeannie so qualifications don't matter.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,196

Post#7 » by kenwood3333 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 4:32 pm

Where do you draw the line for superstars?
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#8 » by JellosJigglin » Tue Oct 8, 2019 4:39 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:Where do you draw the line for superstars?

Future hall of famer, all-nba team, arguably best player at their position.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
ronaldo922
Junior
And1: 432

Post#9 » by ronaldo922 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 4:43 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:Where do you draw the line for superstars?

I think at handjobs, if Lebron/Davis want fellatio, I think thats the line. Pelinka might be down but i think thats where most draw the line
Spud2nique
General Manager
And1: 5,135

Post#10 » by Spud2nique » Tue Oct 8, 2019 5:57 pm

Oh now I wanna play for the Lakers!

-Next Superstar free agent

Pelinka is a moron.
trueballer7
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,158

Post#11 » by trueballer7 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 6:41 pm

And the public must treat puppets like puppets
LAKESHOW
RealGM
And1: 4,190

Re: Re: Rob Pelinka Believes Front Offices Must Treat 'Superstars Like Partners' 

Post#12 » by LAKESHOW » Tue Oct 8, 2019 7:51 pm

See, this is the difference between the Lakers and teams like, OKC. They had MVPs like KD, harden, westbrook, all who bailed, because they wanted to fight against their players. Result? 3 mvp players, zero to show for it.
Home of the 17 Time World Champions
PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Post#13 » by PerkinsFor3 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 8:55 pm

Yo Rob,Magic is a superstar as well, mate.
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#14 » by 2018C3 » Tue Oct 8, 2019 11:22 pm

Sounds like Pelinka salary should be renegotiated if he is not the man with a plan. Players will always want what is best for them, and not for the future. Since lakers are in win now mode this approach may be best for them short term, but it would be a disaster for most other teams.
Mwd1981
Pro Prospect
And1: 124

Post#15 » by Mwd1981 » Wed Oct 9, 2019 3:14 am

flipside21 wrote:Keeping key stakeholders engaged is always going to be a good, sound business strategy - and treating the NBA like a business is good business. That said, problem is gonna be deliniating who gets a say and who doesn't. At what point is Kyle Kuzma gonna get upset that no one asked him what he thought of adding Quinn Cook?

I think the delineation is if a player makes more $’s off the court than on it.

Return to Wiretap Discussion