Caris LeVert Believes He Can Become Brooklyn's 2nd Star In 19-20

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 177

Caris LeVert Believes He Can Become Brooklyn's 2nd Star In 19-20 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Oct 9, 2019 8:26 pm

The Brooklyn Nets signed Kyrie Irving and parted ways with D'Angelo Russell in the offseason, but Caris LeVert thought he was on his way to an All-Star berth before his right ankle injury.

LeVert believes he can emerge as Brooklyn's second star during this season with Kevin Durant out recovering from his torn Achilles.

“I’ve always felt like I was that guy,” LeVert told The Athletic. “I’m at the point where now I feel I can control how good I can be. I’m going to push myself every single day and see where that ceiling is. I don’t know where it is. I don’t like to put limits on myself.”

Levert is also ready for a bigger stage nationally.

“I love big games. I love playing on TV, playing in big environments. I thrive in those environments,” LeVert said. “I felt like last year we were a good team but people didn’t really see it. Because we weren’t really on TV that much and people didn’t really watch the Nets like that. This year, with obviously KD, Kyrie and DeAndre [Jordan], I feel like naturally, we’ll get more attention as a team. I’m super competitive, so I love being my best when my best is needed.”

Unlike Spencer Dinwiddie, LeVert didn't have a relationship with Irving previously.

“Those two, in particular, are guys that I’ve watched a lot and have watched for years, and tried to mimic their games a little bit,” LeVert said of Durant and Irving. “The way that they approach the game, the way that they go about things on the court, to hear praise from those guys is huge for a guy who is still getting better and developing every day.”

Via Michael Lee/The Athletic

Lockdown504090
Sophomore
And1: 146

Re: Caris LeVert Believes He Can Become Brooklyn's 2nd Star In 19-20 

Post#2 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:45 am

I dont know either way, hes good, we just dont know if hes THAT good.
tor1234567
Pro Prospect
And1: 803

Post#3 » by tor1234567 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:39 am

What's so good about him?

Can't shoot and can't defend.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 10,868

Post#4 » by Revived » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:30 am

tor1234567 wrote:What's so good about him?

He was playing at almost an All Star level before his injury last season. But after the injury, he didn’t keep up anywhere near the level of play.

If he can revert to that pre injury form then he’ll make the All Star roster in the East.
tor1234567
Pro Prospect
And1: 803

Post#5 » by tor1234567 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:29 pm

Revived wrote:
tor1234567 wrote:What's so good about him?

He was playing at almost an All Star level before his injury last season. But after the injury, he didn’t keep up anywhere near the level of play.

If he can revert to that pre injury form then he’ll make the All Star roster in the East.

But what do you define as "All Star level"?

Was he shooting well?
Was he playing elite defense?

He's never been good at either throughout his NBA career, injury or no injury.

I think the kid is just a bit overrated because he is one of the leading scorers on a rebuilding Nets team that had zero lotto picks and did better than they were expecting.

But unless he improves that defense and shooting, he will never be a All Star.

Return to Wiretap Discussion