Zion Williamson Will Be 'Game-Time Decision' On Dunk Contest

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 64,719
And1: 177
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

Zion Williamson Will Be 'Game-Time Decision' On Dunk Contest 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:48 pm

Zion Williamson plans on waiting until closer to All-Star weekend in February before deciding whether to compete in the slam dunk contest.


Williamson described it as a "game-time decision" on whether he will commit.


"I don't know yet," said Williamson. "If I'm being honest, depends on where I'm at."


The All-Star Game will be played in Chicago.

Via Eric Woodyard/ESPN

MegaK
Pro Prospect
Posts: 831
And1: 91
Joined: Nov 07, 2013

Re: Zion Williamson Will Be 'Game-Time Decision' On Dunk Contest 

Post#2 » by MegaK » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:38 pm

Already thinking about injuries. Dude's got to loose some more weight. He too big bro.
User avatar
Jstock12
General Manager
Posts: 8,669
And1: 15,465
Joined: Jun 24, 2012

Re: Zion Williamson Will Be 'Game-Time Decision' On Dunk Contest 

Post#3 » by Jstock12 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:45 pm

To me it seems like he'll participate in the contest if he's an All-Star.
JimmyJammer
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,321
And1: 1,566
Joined: Aug 31, 2005

Re: Zion Williamson Will Be 'Game-Time Decision' On Dunk Contest 

Post#4 » by JimmyJammer » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:07 pm

I expect Lavine to win this easily if he decides to participate.
User avatar
Lalouie
Head Coach
Posts: 6,288
And1: 2,594
Joined: May 12, 2017

Re: Zion Williamson Will Be 'Game-Time Decision' On Dunk Contest 

Post#5 » by Lalouie » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:50 pm

something tells me his in-game dunks are way better than his contest dunks.
still
didn't he do a free throw dunk at duke practice :D :D :D
cheese318
Rookie
Posts: 1,115
And1: 161
Joined: Nov 13, 2013

Re: Zion Williamson Will Be 'Game-Time Decision' On Dunk Contest 

Post#6 » by cheese318 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:17 am

Lalouie wrote:something tells me his in-game dunks are way better than his contest dunks.
still
didn't he do a free throw dunk at duke practice :D :D :D


I think this might be correct. Explosive dunks look great in game but not too much translation when it comes Dunk Contest
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
User avatar
MVP1992
Junior
Posts: 282
And1: 116
Joined: Dec 04, 2018
 

Re: Zion Williamson Will Be 'Game-Time Decision' On Dunk Contest 

Post#7 » by MVP1992 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:48 am

cheese318 wrote:
Lalouie wrote:something tells me his in-game dunks are way better than his contest dunks.
still
didn't he do a free throw dunk at duke practice :D :D :D


I think this might be correct. Explosive dunks look great in game but not too much translation when it comes Dunk Contest


I'd rather see big extended explosive dunks than the gimmickry of jumping over people and chairs and crapola they do these days.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,767
And1: 123
Joined: Aug 22, 2001
Location: NY
         

Re: Zion Williamson Will Be 'Game-Time Decision' On Dunk Contest 

Post#8 » by TheCage4 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:53 am

Not unlike Blake Griffins KIA car gimmick, Zion will scale a mall kiosk of Krispy Kreme donuts that Charles Barkley will be manning.
perempe20
Rookie
Posts: 1,014
And1: 573
Joined: Aug 20, 2015
 

Re: Zion Williamson Will Be 'Game-Time Decision' On Dunk Contest 

Post#9 » by perempe20 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:22 am

today's stars (and their sponsors) take the dunk contest way too seriously and they don't participate.
User avatar
Furinkazan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,939
And1: 2,963
Joined: May 11, 2005
       

Re: Zion Williamson Will Be 'Game-Time Decision' On Dunk Contest 

Post#10 » by Furinkazan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:02 pm

alrady scared of AG? :lol:
Caese
Sophomore
Posts: 127
And1: 35
Joined: Aug 05, 2015
   

Re: Zion Williamson Will Be 'Game-Time Decision' On Dunk Contest 

Post#11 » by Caese » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:14 pm

Translation: Jordan Brand will tell me if I'm allowed to enter.
puja21
Senior
Posts: 567
And1: 44
Joined: Feb 08, 2013

Re: Zion Williamson Will Be 'Game-Time Decision' On Dunk Contest 

Post#12 » by puja21 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:41 pm

MegaK wrote:Already thinking about injuries. Dude's got to loose some more weight. He too big bro.


[url][/url]
puja21
Senior
Posts: 567
And1: 44
Joined: Feb 08, 2013

Re: Zion Williamson Will Be 'Game-Time Decision' On Dunk Contest 

Post#13 » by puja21 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:52 pm

Furinkazan wrote:alrady scared of AG? :lol:


AG = Aaron Gordon...?

If so, seems odd

Gordon has never won the dunk contest, hasn't even competed in 3 years, and when he did he finished 4th behind 2 nobodies and an aging big man ?
User avatar
Furinkazan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,939
And1: 2,963
Joined: May 11, 2005
       

Re: Zion Williamson Will Be 'Game-Time Decision' On Dunk Contest 

Post#14 » by Furinkazan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:00 pm

[*]
puja21 wrote:
Furinkazan wrote:alrady scared of AG? :lol:


AG = Aaron Gordon...?

If so, seems odd

Gordon has never won the dunk contest, hasn't even competed in 3 years, and when he did he finished 4th behind 2 nobodies and an aging big man ?



Come on his Stuff dunk is one for ages and everybody (minus haters like you)know about that
Every time someone mentions that dunk contest is to say AG got robbed or how good of an epic battle that was.
Next year he basicly flopped but this time he comes with redemption.He is experienced he hopefully learned on mistakes.

https://zonazealots.com/2019/08/14/aaron-gordon-looking-redemption-2020-nba-slam-dunk-contest/
User avatar
Grumpy Heat Fan
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,314
And1: 2,842
Joined: Dec 09, 2011
Location: Miami, Florida
     

Re: Zion Williamson Will Be 'Game-Time Decision' On Dunk Contest 

Post#15 » by Grumpy Heat Fan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:30 pm

The Dunk Contest has gone on too long. It was cool when it was first introduced. Then players evolved new dunks and all that. But we have already reached the Peak of dunk contests and we have seen it all before already.

It's time to retire the Dunk contest and replace it with something new.

Personally, I would replace it with one of these :

- small 1v1 tournament, first to 11 points wins. Basket is 2 points, 3pters are 3pts.


- 2v2, first to 11 points wins (players do not have to be real teammates)
"As for me personally, I don't truly care how much I make these days, my main focus is on playing for a winner." - Dirk Nowitzki, July 2016
User avatar
MVP1992
Junior
Posts: 282
And1: 116
Joined: Dec 04, 2018
 

Re: Zion Williamson Will Be 'Game-Time Decision' On Dunk Contest 

Post#16 » by MVP1992 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:36 am

Grumpy Heat Fan wrote:The Dunk Contest has gone on too long. It was cool when it was first introduced. Then players evolved new dunks and all that. But we have already reached the Peak of dunk contests and we have seen it all before already.

It's time to retire the Dunk contest and replace it with something new.

Personally, I would replace it with one of these :

- small 1v1 tournament, first to 11 points wins. Basket is 2 points, 3pters are 3pts.


- 2v2, first to 11 points wins (players do not have to be real teammates)


For sure.
Agree the straight dunk contest is done to death.

Variation on your idea;
How about only dunks count, and in 2v2, alley-oop dunks are 3s

I'll pick team one 8-) Zach & Zion

Return to Wiretap Discussion