Kyrie Irving First Suggested Teaming Up With Kevin Durant, DeAndre Jordan During 2016 Olympics

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Kyrie Irving First Suggested Teaming Up With Kevin Durant, DeAndre Jordan During 2016 Olympics 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:49 am

Kyrie Irving became friends with Kevin Durant and DeAndre Jordan during the 2016 Olympics. Irving had just won a title with the Cleveland Cavaliers while Durant was coming off his decision to join the Golden State Warriors.

The three had endless conversations about basketball, including how LeBron James had orchestrated his own "friend group" with the Miami Heat with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

On one of the final nights they had together during their Olympic run, Irving, Durant and Jordan toasted.

"Hey, this would be cool to do for real" Jordan recalls Irving saying.

"I asked him, 'What you mean by that?'" Jordan says, "and Ky said, 'Let's all get on the same team and play together.'"

Via Jackie MacMullan/ESPN

WHITE_HOT_HEAT
Sixth Man
And1: 2,209

Re: Kyrie Irving First Suggested Teaming Up With Kevin Durant, DeAndre Jordan During 2016 Olympics 

Post#2 » by WHITE_HOT_HEAT » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:15 pm

Kyrie's attitude could've pretty much cost the Cavs a realistic shot at the championship in later years.
The guy is kinda unhinged and I wouldn't have put it behind him to purposefully sabotage that Cavs team.
"And a Man?... A Man provides... And he does it even when he's not appreciated, or respected, or even loved. He simply bears up and he does it.... Because he's a Man...."
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Re: Kyrie Irving First Suggested Teaming Up With Kevin Durant, DeAndre Jordan During 2016 Olympics 

Post#3 » by TheCage4 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:43 pm

So roster tampering back in 2016- can the league post-date fines?
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
pjiggz
Junior
And1: 25

Post#4 » by pjiggz » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:01 pm

The Nets weren't even cool in 2016 :noway:
pjiggz
Junior
And1: 25

Post#5 » by pjiggz » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:03 pm

WHITE_HOT_HEAT wrote:Kyrie's attitude could've pretty much cost the Cavs a realistic shot at the championship in later years.
The guy is kinda unhinged and I wouldn't have put it behind him to purposefully sabotage that Cavs team.

Are you suggesting he pulled a Kevin Durant?
WHITE_HOT_HEAT
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by WHITE_HOT_HEAT » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:30 pm

pjiggz wrote:
WHITE_HOT_HEAT wrote:Kyrie's attitude could've pretty much cost the Cavs a realistic shot at the championship in later years.

Are you suggesting he pulled a Kevin Durant?

Yup.. maybe even worse..
"And a Man?... A Man provides... And he does it even when he's not appreciated, or respected, or even loved. He simply bears up and he does it.... Because he's a Man...."
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#7 » by Pennebaker » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:46 pm

That's cool and everything except that DeAndre Jordan is scrubbish.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#8 » by Pennebaker » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:52 pm

I don't think he did anything on purpose. But he wasnt happy and that probably affected his play in some ways. The Scottie Pippen role isnt for everybody. He dreamt about being the captain of his own ship so he went after his dream and you cant argue with that.
WHITE_HOT_HEAT
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by WHITE_HOT_HEAT » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:29 pm

Pennebaker wrote:

I don't think he did anything on purpose. But he wasnt happy and that probably affected his play in some ways. The Scottie Pippen role isnt for everybody. He dreamt about being the captain of his own ship so he went after his dream and you cant argue with that.

He can go after his dream. Nobody stopped him from leaving did they?

However, not talking to your teammates and shutting down any interaction completely etc adversely affects the team. You can't possibly be giving your 100% also then. Hence, he should be held at fault.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#10 » by BigHustle » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:16 pm

Pennebaker wrote:

I hate to break it to him but after KD returns he’s back to Pippen role.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,210

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:33 pm

At least we now know who to point fingers at when it fails.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#12 » by BigHustle » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:45 pm

3 games into the season and the BKN team already looking like a disaster: 1) stars not willing to participate in team conditioning 2) KI refuses to fit it (won’t take a hat off for a picture) 3) “friendship” between KD and KI doesn’t seem that strong to begin with as KI didn’t want to be in Olympics anyway.

Good luck BKN fans, it’s a matter of if not when...
000078ude54
Pro Prospect
And1: 551

Post#13 » by 000078ude54 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:53 pm

So this makes his fall 2018 announcement that he planned to re-sign with the Celtics even more fraudulent.

He never wanted to play for the Celtics and openly lied about re-signing. Such a stand-up guy.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#14 » by dan-man » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:42 am

The Chief wrote:So this makes his fall 2018 announcement that he planned to re-sign with the Celtics even more fraudulent.

He never wanted to play for the Celtics and openly lied about re-signing. Such a stand-up guy.

And I'm sure the Boston fans would have treated him so well if he were transparent. Enough of the whining.
000078ude54
Pro Prospect
And1: 551

Post#15 » by 000078ude54 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:21 pm

dan-man wrote:
The Chief wrote:So this makes his fall 2018 announcement that he planned to re-sign with the Celtics even more fraudulent.

And I'm sure the Boston fans would have treated him so well if he were transparent. Enough of the whining.

Red herring. How Boston fans would have "treated" him is irrelevant to the topic. GFY.
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#16 » by dan-man » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:02 pm

The Chief wrote:
dan-man wrote:

Red herring. How Boston fans would have "treated" him is irrelevant to the topic. GFY.

Buckle up for some awful Celtic seasons to come, Sonny boy.

Return to Wiretap Discussion