Red Auerbach Overruled Boston's Front Office On Selecting Tony Parker In 2001 Draft

Moderators: BombsquadSammy, Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 67,141
And1: 179
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

Red Auerbach Overruled Boston's Front Office On Selecting Tony Parker In 2001 Draft 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:22 pm

The Boston Celtics were set to draft Tony Parker in the 2001 NBA Draft until Red Auerbach overruled brand-new general manager Chris Wallace.


Auerbach was 84 at the time and remained president and vice chairman. Auerbach insisted the Celtics instead select Joe Forte at No. 21, several league executives confirmed recently.


Auerbach was skeptical of European point guards and he also had scouted Forte dating back to high school at DeMatha Catholic in Maryland.


The San Antonio Spurs knew Parker had a good workout for the Celtics and they feared Boston might select him with one of their three picks in the top-21. San Antonio selected Parker with the 28th overall pick. 

Via Mike Monroe/The Athletic

LAKESHOW
RealGM
Posts: 11,261
And1: 1,361
Joined: Mar 14, 2002
Location: HOME OF THE 16 TIME WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Re: Red Auerbach Overruled Boston's Front Office On Selecting Tony Parker In 2001 Draft 

Post#3 » by LAKESHOW » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:58 pm

The blunder was ainge listening to his coach and aquiring hayward.
Home of the 16 Time World Champions
Papi_swav
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,832
And1: 1,805
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
     

Re: Red Auerbach Overruled Boston's Front Office On Selecting Tony Parker In 2001 Draft 

Post#4 » by Papi_swav » Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:09 pm

Bro how many times are we going to hear that Boston was going to draft a star years later. Same story every year. They was suppose to draft Giannis, Kawhi, Tony... who else? LeBron too?
SpursFan
Ballboy
Posts: 21
And1: 3
Joined: Jul 24, 2013

Re: Red Auerbach Overruled Boston's Front Office On Selecting Tony Parker In 2001 Draft 

Post#5 » by SpursFan » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:28 pm

If the Celtics had drafted him, maybe he would've went the way of Joe Forte. We see time and again players thrive with the Spurs, and disappear when they go elsewhere. Player development, fit, and The System go a long ways.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,907
And1: 151
Joined: Aug 22, 2001
Location: NY
         

Re: Red Auerbach Overruled Boston's Front Office On Selecting Tony Parker In 2001 Draft 

Post#6 » by TheCage4 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:31 pm

LAKESHOW wrote:The blunder was ainge listening to his coach and aquiring hayward.


Hayward was most likely on everyone’s wish list when he became a FA. Every fan would of praised their GM for landing him at that time.
User avatar
LewisnotMiller
Pro Prospect
Posts: 986
And1: 531
Joined: Jun 21, 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
   

Re: Red Auerbach Overruled Boston's Front Office On Selecting Tony Parker In 2001 Draft 

Post#7 » by LewisnotMiller » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:43 pm

SpursFan wrote:If the Celtics had drafted him, maybe he would've went the way of Joe Forte. We see time and again players thrive with the Spurs, and disappear when they go elsewhere. Player development, fit, and The System go a long ways.


There is definitely a chance.
Opportunity, coaching, etc, are all very impactful.
the_process
RealGM
Posts: 17,830
And1: 4,162
Joined: May 01, 2010

Re: Red Auerbach Overruled Boston's Front Office On Selecting Tony Parker In 2001 Draft 

Post#8 » by the_process » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:30 pm

It’s good this slandering the dead guy piece came out. Makes sense.
HartfordWhalers wrote:The Tobias Harris trade was set your pants on fire while wearing them bad at the time. And still is.
the_process
RealGM
Posts: 17,830
And1: 4,162
Joined: May 01, 2010

Re: Red Auerbach Overruled Boston's Front Office On Selecting Tony Parker In 2001 Draft 

Post#9 » by the_process » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:30 pm

Papi_swav wrote:Bro how many times are we going to hear that Boston was going to draft a star years later. Same story every year. They was suppose to draft Giannis, Kawhi, Tony... who else? LeBron too?


Too many Boston area people in the sports media.
HartfordWhalers wrote:The Tobias Harris trade was set your pants on fire while wearing them bad at the time. And still is.
Papi_swav
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,832
And1: 1,805
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
     

Re: Red Auerbach Overruled Boston's Front Office On Selecting Tony Parker In 2001 Draft 

Post#10 » by Papi_swav » Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:36 pm

the_process wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Bro how many times are we going to hear that Boston was going to draft a star years later. Same story every year. They was suppose to draft Giannis, Kawhi, Tony... who else? LeBron too?


Too many Boston area people in the sports media.

Definitely and we can clearly see the bias-ism. Look how they doing Kyrie. Making up a bunch of crap stories. Then Boston fans wonder why nobody can stand them.

Return to Wiretap Discussion