Jonas Valanciunas, Delon Wright, CJ Miles Will Not Receive Championship Rings From Raptors

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Jonas Valanciunas, Delon Wright, CJ Miles Will Not Receive Championship Rings From Raptors 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:28 am

The Toronto Raptors will not give championship rings to Jonas Valanciunas, Delon Wright, or CJ Miles, confirmed general manager Bobby Webster.

All three players were traded to the Grizzlies for Marc Gasol at the trade deadline last season.

“It's not an easy decision. But, to be honest, I think it’s standard. I mean we did our homework, we talked to teams and I think – I don’t remember – there was maybe one scenario where a team offered one. I think it was Anderson Varejao in Golden State but I think it was a really unique circumstance ... It’s obviously not a feel-good thing but I think that’s the way the league is,” said Webster. 

Via Mike Ganter/Toronto Sun

Perseus1966
Veteran
And1: 1,159

Re: Jonas Valanciunas, Delon Wright, CJ Miles Will Not Receive Championship Rings From Raptors 

Post#2 » by Perseus1966 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:15 am

Tony Brothers?
I want RoLo to be my son in law!
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,044

Re: Jonas Valanciunas, Delon Wright, CJ Miles Will Not Receive Championship Rings From Raptors 

Post#3 » by Laimbeer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:52 pm

It's not like you have to take rings from someone else. Don't know how the players would react.
Durant Durant
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,094

Post#4 » by Durant Durant » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:41 pm

replica rings?
No no yes yes
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#5 » by RipCityKJ » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:42 pm

They played for the team that won the championship, they earned those rings and they didn’t choose to be traded and as part of the trade the Raptors should honor them with rings.
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#6 » by donaldtrump_00 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:56 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:They played for the team that won the championship, they earned those rings and they didn’t choose to be traded and as part of the trade the Raptors should honor them with rings.

I laugh at stuff like this. Why would they even want a ring? Did they help in a single playoff game? They were off the roster. Traded, not by choice but didn't contribute to the team winning it all. When i first read this i was thinking they were hurt and couldnt play. They were off the team so its pathetic to get mad if theyre taking it to heart
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#7 » by Sam195 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:34 pm

Lmfao Raptors did their homework but didn't hand it in on time. The only reason this is a controversy is because the front office waited so long to address the issue and make a decision. They should have announced who was getting a ring shortly after they won the title preferably before the championship parade. I feel like the consensus standard is you get a ring only if you are on the PLAYOFF ROSTER regardless if you play zero minutes in the post-season and your team wins the title. The fact the organization waited 5 months and 2 months into the next season to announce this let the media write up stories of asking whether JV, Delon and CJ wanted rings and I think each said they wanted/didn't want one but all three agreed they wouldn't turn a ring down if Raptors offered it to them (meaning all three at that point probably expected the gesture). The fact the Raptors announce just few weeks before each player's respective return road game against Toronto they are not getting a ring is pretty unprofessional in my opinion it is sort of like the team led their respective camps and individual fanbases on like there was going to be short ring ceremonies for each during their return game. And specifically in the case of JV and Delon I am pretty sure they have fans in Toronto who might have bought jerseys and tickets for their respective return games expecting to witness a ring ceremony. So Raptors deceived both these players and their own team's fans lol.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#8 » by The_Hater » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:10 pm

Sam195 wrote:Lmfao Raptors did their homework but didn't hand it in on time. The only reason this is a controversy is because the front office waited so long to address the issue and make a decision. They should have announced who was getting a ring shortly after they won the title preferably before the championship parade. I feel like the consensus standard is you get a ring only if you are on the PLAYOFF ROSTER regardless if you play zero minutes in the post-season and your team wins the title. The fact the organization waited 5 months and 2 months into the next season to announce this let the media write up stories of asking whether JV, Delon and CJ wanted rings and I think each said they wanted/didn't want one but all three agreed they wouldn't turn a ring down if Raptors offered it to them (meaning all three at that point probably expected the gesture). The fact the Raptors announce just few weeks before each player's respective return road game against Toronto they are not getting a ring is pretty unprofessional in my opinion it is sort of like the team led their respective camps and individual fanbases on like there was going to be short ring ceremonies for each during their return game. And specifically in the case of JV and Delon I am pretty sure they have fans in Toronto who might have bought jerseys and tickets for their respective return games expecting to witness a ring ceremony. So Raptors deceived both these players and their own team's fans lol.

So no previous championship team has given rings to players who were traded at the deadline, you said nothing all of those times, but now you have a problem ans think it’s this organization that’s being unprofessional?

It’s the Raptors who are being consistent, just not you.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#9 » by Sam195 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:47 pm

The_Hater wrote:
Sam195 wrote:Lmfao Raptors did their homework but didn't hand it in on time. The only reason this is a controversy is because the front office waited so long to address the issue and make a decision. They should have announced who was getting a ring shortly after they won the title preferably before the championship parade. I feel like the consensus standard is you get a ring only if you are on the PLAYOFF ROSTER regardless if you play zero minutes in the post-season and your team wins the title. The fact the organization waited 5 months and 2 months into the next season to announce this let the media write up stories of asking whether JV, Delon and CJ wanted rings and I think each said they wanted/didn't want one but all three agreed they wouldn't turn a ring down if Raptors offered it to them (meaning all three at that point probably expected the gesture). The fact the Raptors announce just few weeks before each player's respective return road game against Toronto they are not getting a ring is pretty unprofessional in my opinion it is sort of like the team led their respective camps and individual fanbases on like there was going to be short ring ceremonies for each during their return game. And specifically in the case of JV and Delon I am pretty sure they have fans in Toronto who might have bought jerseys and tickets for their respective return games expecting to witness a ring ceremony. So Raptors deceived both these players and their own team's fans lol.

So no previous championship team has given rings to players who were traded at the deadline, you said nothing all of those times, but now you have a problem ans think it’s this organization that’s being unprofessional?

My point is the Raptors should have announced the three are not getting rings before the Championship parade at the latest. I feel like every previous team to win a title told players they traded mid-season if not directly but through the media that the policy is that only players listed on the post-season roster get championship rings. The Raptors never made their intentions known till now and that is why it is controversial. In hockey which is Canada's most popular sport when a team wins the stanley cup I believe players that are traded mid-season still get their name engraved on the cup with the title team they used to be on in addition to getting a cup ring. That is the standard the CANADIAN media seems to be making comparisons too. US media doesn't seem to care aside from just reporting that there seems to be some confusion of messaging going on with the Raptors and the former players.
artsncrafts
RealGM
And1: 25,039

Post#10 » by artsncrafts » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:17 pm

I would have given one to JV because he is awesome and wanted to be a Raptor. He even came to the Raptors playoff games. Sadly being awesome is not enough these days.
Harold_and_Kumar wrote:What if the 10 incher was overrated and the 4 incher was too small for any playing time, but the 7 incher was a perfect fit for our roster and the 5 incher was good for specific situations, like backdoor cuts?
FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 119

Post#11 » by FreeBoosie » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:47 pm

Trading these bums was one of the reasons the raptors won it in the first place lol
cavs4872
Senior
And1: 242

Post#12 » by cavs4872 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:31 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:They played for the team that won the championship

So did Chris Bosh, Andrea Bargnani, Vince Carter, T-Mac, etc... give them rings, lol.

There have been many Raptors players, but only 15 played on the team that won the championship.
vital_signs
Analyst
And1: 2,239

Post#13 » by vital_signs » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:55 am

I don't believe they should get a ring, but if Drake gets one why the f not?
Inadequate perception I reckon it's from the Valium
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Re: Jonas Valanciunas, Delon Wright, CJ Miles Will Not Receive Championship Rings From Raptorn 

Post#14 » by BigTex » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:47 am

The_Hater wrote:

Anderson Verejao was offered a ring from Cleveland in the year he was traded to Portland, waived, and the played against the Cavs in the finals for they Warriors. He opted not to accept it because he played for the opposing team in the finals.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Re: Jonas Valanciunas, Delon Wright, CJ Miles Will Not Receive Championship Rings From Raptorn 

Post#15 » by The_Hater » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:08 pm

BigTex wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

Anderson Verejao was offered a ring from Cleveland in the year he was traded to Portland, waived, and the played against the Cavs in the finals for they Warriors. He opted not to accept it because he played for the opposing team in the finals.

That’s mentioned in the article attached to this thread. It’s also the loan exception to the rule and as you stated, Varejao turned the ring offer down.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Wiretap Discussion