Carmelo Anthony After Blazers Debut: 'The Physicality Of The Game Has Changed'

Moderators: BombsquadSammy, Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 67,176
And1: 179
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

Carmelo Anthony After Blazers Debut: 'The Physicality Of The Game Has Changed' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:55 am

Carmelo Anthony said he felt like he belonged following his season debut during the Portland Trail Blazers' 115-104 loss to the New Orleans Pelicans.


Anthony, who started the game, finished with 10 points on 4-14 shooting from the field.


Anthony acknowledged how he has to adjust his game to fit with the physicality of the league.


"The physicality of the game has changed. The way that they call the game, the way that the game is played has changed, so you almost have to adjust again," said Anthony.


Terry Stotts was encouraged by Anthony's debut.


"To be honest, I thought he looked good. I thought offensively he got looks, he got good looks at the basket. I thought he got fouled at least two or three times taking it strong to the basket. He then came away empty, so that kind of affected his (stat) line," said Stotts.


Stotts added that Anthony may continue to start for the team.

Via Andrew Lopez/ESPN

User avatar
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
Posts: 30,419
And1: 6,724
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
     

Re: Carmelo Anthony After Blazers Debut: 'The Physicality Of The Game Has Changed' 

Post#2 » by br7knicks » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:37 am

It changed a while ago...


...you refused to accept and adjust.
Rest in Peace, magnumt. 2019
Jabroni Lames
Pro Prospect
Posts: 849
And1: 1,091
Joined: Apr 08, 2018

Re: Carmelo Anthony After Blazers Debut: 'The Physicality Of The Game Has Changed' 

Post#3 » by Jabroni Lames » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:56 am

10 points on 4 for 14 shooting.

Melo still got it.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,910
And1: 151
Joined: Aug 22, 2001
Location: NY
         

Re: Carmelo Anthony After Blazers Debut: 'The Physicality Of The Game Has Changed' 

Post#4 » by TheCage4 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:12 pm

What physicality? If only these players knew what hand checking was.
alienpick
Rookie
Posts: 1,119
And1: 257
Joined: Apr 10, 2013
 

Re: Carmelo Anthony After Blazers Debut: 'The Physicality Of The Game Has Changed' 

Post#5 » by alienpick » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:07 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:10 points on 4 for 14 shooting.

Melo still got it.


Watch the game before commenting. Melo looked pretty good.
ebrian
Junior
Posts: 299
And1: 19
Joined: Apr 12, 2006
   

Re: Carmelo Anthony After Blazers Debut: 'The Physicality Of The Game Has Changed' 

Post#6 » by ebrian » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:20 pm

Melo comes in having not played for a full season, takes the 2nd most shots on the team, shooting the worst.

Let the Tankmelo Experiment begin!
SparksAC
Sophomore
Posts: 151
And1: 145
Joined: Jun 21, 2012

Re: Carmelo Anthony After Blazers Debut: 'The Physicality Of The Game Has Changed' 

Post#7 » by SparksAC » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:15 pm

ebrian wrote:Melo comes in having not played for a full season, takes the 2nd most shots on the team, shooting the worst.

Let the Tankmelo Experiment begin!


Exactly. It wasnt about him shooting 4 for 14. It was about him coming back taking 14 shots. No way he would be okay coming off the bench. Hes still the same old Melo.
alienpick
Rookie
Posts: 1,119
And1: 257
Joined: Apr 10, 2013
 

Re: Carmelo Anthony After Blazers Debut: 'The Physicality Of The Game Has Changed' 

Post#8 » by alienpick » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:40 pm

SparksAC wrote:
ebrian wrote:Melo comes in having not played for a full season, takes the 2nd most shots on the team, shooting the worst.

Let the Tankmelo Experiment begin!


Exactly. It wasnt about him shooting 4 for 14. It was about him coming back taking 14 shots. No way he would be okay coming off the bench. Hes still the same old Melo.


you really need to watch the game before commenting. If you did, you’d see that Dame didn’t play. Of course Carmelo is going to take more shots with Dame out.
Portlander
Freshman
Posts: 63
And1: 1
Joined: Sep 16, 2013
         

Re: Carmelo Anthony After Blazers Debut: 'The Physicality Of The Game Has Changed' 

Post#9 » by Portlander » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:57 pm

If it's going to work (and I hope it does, not just for Melo's sake, but because I'm a Trailblazer fan), it'll be Stott's and his crew, who gets it to happen. Sure Anthony has to have the attitude, desire and work ethic, but it'll be the coaching crew for the 'Zers that'll put together the program that'll bring the ultimate success.
saltybs
Sophomore
Posts: 152
And1: 33
Joined: May 12, 2014
 

Re: Carmelo Anthony After Blazers Debut: 'The Physicality Of The Game Has Changed' 

Post#10 » by saltybs » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:15 pm

I thought all his looks were generally good looks. Could have easily had 16 pts on 7-14 with a 2-2 trip to the line and everyone saying "OMG HES THE ANSWER." Sometimes the ball just doesn't find the bottom of the rim - that's why small sample sizes don't mean anything. Let's check back in 10 games, see where he's at.
Pickled Prunes
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,300
And1: 600
Joined: Sep 14, 2010

Re: Carmelo Anthony After Blazers Debut: 'The Physicality Of The Game Has Changed' 

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:42 am

alienpick wrote:
SparksAC wrote:
ebrian wrote:Melo comes in having not played for a full season, takes the 2nd most shots on the team, shooting the worst.

Let the Tankmelo Experiment begin!


Exactly. It wasnt about him shooting 4 for 14. It was about him coming back taking 14 shots. No way he would be okay coming off the bench. Hes still the same old Melo.


you really need to watch the game before commenting. If you did, you’d see that Dame didn’t play. Of course Carmelo is going to take more shots with Dame out.

Agreed...POR has no one beyond Dame or CJ that should be shooting in any volume. That is why they brought Melo in. It certainly wasn't for defense!

To be fair:
Melo went 4-14
Simmons went 4-13
Hood went 4-12
Bazemore went 3-8 (35% FG% on the season)
Little had a good game at 5-6 but he's shooting 39% on the season. He's certainly not reliable for that kind of efficiency in a higher volume.

Unfortunately the Blazers suck bad enough right now that Melo could actually help them. Remember what everyone said about Kanter last season?

Return to Wiretap Discussion