Kings Reportedly Didn't Draft Luka Doncic Because Vlade Divac Didn't Think Highly Of Doncic's Dad

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Kings Reportedly Didn't Draft Luka Doncic Because Vlade Divac Didn't Think Highly Of Doncic's Dad 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:15 am

Vlade Divac passed up on drafting Luka Doncic in the 2018 draft because he didn't think highly of Doncic's father, according to Tim MacMahon of ESPN.

MacMahon relayed the story in a recent episode of Adrian Wojnarowski's podcast discussing the evolution of Doncic.

The discussion turned to how the Kings and Suns both passed up the opportunity to draft Doncic despite having people close to the player last season. MacMahon said that Divac's closeness with Doncic's dad went against the player.

“My understanding is that [Divac] being so close to Luka and knowing his dad so well factored into their decision. Basically, he didn’t think a whole lot of Luka’s dad, and the whole like father like son … well … no, this is a different dude. You messed that one up, Vlade," said MacMahon.

Via Kurt Helin/Pro Basketball Talk

MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Re: Kings Reportedly Didn't Draft Luka Doncic Because Vlade Divac Didn't Think Highly Of Doncic's Dad 

Post#2 » by MitchB3 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:50 am

This needs more air time. So because the GM didn't like the father, they didn't draft the son?
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,960

Re: Kings Reportedly Didn't Draft Luka Doncic Because Vlade Divac Didn't Think Highly Of Doncic's Dad 

Post#3 » by Cassius » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:41 am

MitchB3 wrote:This needs more air time. So because the GM didn't like the father, they didn't draft the son?

Seems like Vlade and Magic got each other's mail.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,190

Post#5 » by kenwood3333 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:25 am

So the Mavs drafted Luka because of his mom?
Tussin33
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#6 » by Tussin33 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:25 am

LMFAO this is so brutal. I'm at a loss of words
asuran
Senior
And1: 274

Post#7 » by asuran » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:47 am

Is this situation akin to:
- Spurs and Uncle Dennis
- Lakers and the Lavar Ball thing
- Knicks and Kristaps agent brother Janis
?
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#9 » by NoZoLakers » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:15 am

FreeBoosie wrote:lol What’s Phoenix’s excuse?

Ayton is a big, teams seems to always want bigs over guards, oden over durant for exmaple
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#10 » by jason bourne » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:39 am

MegaK wrote:Vlade stupid bro.

Farking d*mbest GM in the league. How could the Kings picks be released ahead of time anyway?
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
westcider
Ballboy
And1: 35

Post#11 » by westcider » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:28 am

didn't Phoenix hire his coach right before the draft? did his coach not think highly of his dad either?
Bill_Thomason
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#12 » by Bill_Thomason » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:47 am

What's weird is the article saying Vlade did not draft Luka because he (Vlade?) was "close to" the father.

What were they, former lovers or something?r

Or was Vlade a son of the father from a different mother?

Am I missing something here ?????????
Hans1984
Pro Prospect
And1: 314

Post#13 » by Hans1984 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:11 am

Another genius move by the kings front office :lol:
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 656

Post#14 » by D21 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:43 am

kenwood3333 wrote:So the Mavs drafted Luka because of his mom?

Technically, ATL drafted him for his mom, but then DAL offered pick 5 with Trae available + 2019 pick (became Reddish) for Doncic and his mom
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,604

Post#15 » by scrabbarista » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:28 am

Bill_Thomason wrote:What's weird is the article saying Vlade did not draft Luka because he (Vlade?) was "close to" the father.

The headline is potentially misleading. In my opinion, it should end with "as a player."

My impression when I listened to the podcast was that Vlade probably played with (or, at least, against) Luka's dad and didn't think much of him as a player. There may have been a personal aspect to it. For example - and I am completely spitballing, because I don't know the first thing about Luka's dad - maybe Luka's dad was lazy on defense. But, essentially, I got the impression that McMahon was saying that Vlade was thinking in, for lack of a better word, "genetic" terms here. He wasn't thinking in terms of personal distaste or some kind of vendetta. The phrase "like father, like son" indicates this.

The printed word and the spoken word can be very different in the impression they leave.
mixerball
Veteran
And1: 2,276

Post#16 » by mixerball » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:44 am

this is the stupidest thing ever. i mean this news.
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,389

Post#17 » by NYKat » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:45 am

scrabbarista wrote:
Bill_Thomason wrote:What's weird is the article saying Vlade did not draft Luka because he (Vlade?) was "close to" the father.

The headline is potentially misleading. In my opinion, it should end with "as a player."

My impression when I listened to the podcast was that Vlade probably played with (or, at least, against) Luka's dad and didn't think much of him as a player. There may have been a personal aspect to it. For example - and I am completely spitballing, because I don't know the first thing about Luka's dad - maybe Luka's dad was lazy on defense. But, essentially, I got the impression that McMahon was saying that Vlade was thinking in, for lack of a better word, "genetic" terms here. He wasn't thinking in terms of personal distaste or some kind of vendetta. The phrase "like father, like son" indicates this.

The printed word and the spoken word can be very different in the impression they leave.

Facts.

As soon as I saw the headline I knew this came from the podcast.

A lot of wiretap headlines come from these reporters offhand remarks on the podcasts and often lack context.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,604

Post#18 » by scrabbarista » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:19 am

NYKat wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:

Facts.

As soon as I saw the headline I knew this came from the podcast.

A lot of wiretap headlines come from these reporters offhand remarks on the podcasts and often lack context.

Yep.

Some of the conversation in the thread has centered on the nationalistic aspect that may have existed, but it's still pretty much all speculation. There's still no reason to believe that this was like Oh, I'm not going to pick you because I don't like your dad or something petty like the headline might lead you to believe.
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#19 » by br7knicks » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:53 am

Well, how many MPG were they planning on playing the dad? That's an important factor, I'm sure.

And did divac see Luka's mom? **** idiot. I'd draft her just to have her on the bench for every game, in front of the camera
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Kevin Willis
RealGM
And1: 7,941

Post#20 » by Kevin Willis » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:01 pm

br7knicks wrote:Well, how many MPG were they planning on playing the dad? That's an important factor, I'm sure.

And did divac see Luka's mom? **** idiot. I'd draft her just to have her on the bench for every game, in front of the camera

Wondering why everyone talks about Doncic's mom. Researches. Oh....
Ska needs to make a comeback.

Return to Wiretap Discussion