NBA's Midseason Tournament Has Been Met With Skepticism From Teams

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

NBA's Midseason Tournament Has Been Met With Skepticism From Teams 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:36 pm

The NBA is proposing a midseason tournament beginning in the 21-22 season.

"I think it certainly, of all the big proposals, the one that has been met with the most skepticism from teams." said Zach Lowe. "It centers around 'Is anyone going to care about this? Are we, teams, going to care about this?'

"I get that. What is in it for them and the NBA, as you said, is counting on the organic momentum of this as long as it sticks around for long enough, it will sort of by default come to mean something. I guess that can be true? I actually sort of believe in that kind of organic momentum for events and things like that."

Lowe also pointed out how the All-Star Game has had increased apathy from players over the past few seasons.

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

ToJoBuckets
Freshman
And1: 10

Re: NBA's Midseason Tournament Has Been Met With Skepticism From Teams 

Post#2 » by ToJoBuckets » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:20 pm

this is prob a bad idea BUT what about...
-putting more money behind making the All-Star team
-eliminating players who are on teams who are already out of the playoffs ( or only like top 10 teams from each conf)
-Turn the game into a home court advantage for whichever side wins and go back to east vs west

as I was writing this there were a lot of things I thought about that I dont like with my idea but I really dont like the idea of Midseason tourney and the All-star game is on track to be dead in 5-10 years

and can we do something about superstars skipping dunk contests and skills, it should easily be a huge stand the NBA takes in the next CBA, if press is part of the contract then having a voting system when if the fans or league votes you to be a part of it, should be part of your contract, if not you should lose money(and a lot). Besides the playoffs this is the leagues and the brands biggest event of the year.

again dont drag me for this I am just thinking out loud
SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Post#3 » by SAKURABA216 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:35 pm

ToJoBuckets wrote:this is prob a bad idea BUT what about...
-eliminating players who are on teams who are already out of the playoffs ( or only like top 10 teams from each conf)
-Turn the game into a home court advantage for whichever side wins and go back to east vs west

as I was writing this there were a lot of things I thought about that I dont like with my idea but I really dont like the idea of Midseason tourney and the All-star game is on track to be dead in 5-10 years

and can we do something about superstars skipping dunk contests and skills, it should easily be a huge stand the NBA takes in the next CBA, if press is part of the contract then having a voting system when if the fans or league votes you to be a part of it, should be part of your contract, if not you should lose money(and a lot). Besides the playoffs this is the leagues and the brands biggest event of the year.

They should do a single-elimination tournament with the teams out of playoff contention, with the finals being 2 out of 3, and the winner is guaranteed a non-tradeable #5 pick in the upcoming draft. That way teams that are borderline get an extra boost to lift them to becoming better the following year. Make some rule that the winner is not allowed to play the following year so you dont have a decent team loading up on #5 picks year after year.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,089

Post#4 » by Lockdown504090 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:27 pm

SAKURABA216 wrote:

They should do a single-elimination tournament with the teams out of playoff contention, with the finals being 2 out of 3, and the winner is guaranteed a non-tradeable #5 pick in the upcoming draft. That way teams that are borderline get an extra boost to lift them to becoming better the following year. Make some rule that the winner is not allowed to play the following year so you dont have a decent team loading up on #5 picks year after year.

they should give every team a charitable cause to play for, build it up like a reality tv show to make us care then give 10 million to the team who wins to give to those needy people. Like they do for the all star weekend kind of, but with more buildup because its by team.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,786

Post#5 » by Dennis 37 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:01 pm

Good ideas.

Alternatively the All Star game could be between the previous NBA champion team supplemented with 2 or 3 star players from their conference, against the stars of the other conference, or against the other finalist supplemented with two or three stars from that conference.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#6 » by Winsome Gerbil » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:25 pm

I actually like the other proposals made for simultaneously bumping the playoffs and deterring tanking by all but the worst teams (those who can't even compete for the 10th spot).

But this midseason tournament bug has long seemed solely an Adam Silver fascination, and a misguided fanboy of the less successful Euroleagues fascination at that. It's dumb, and if teams pay as little attention to it as they are likely too, it could even turn embarrassing.
kingtokee
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#7 » by kingtokee » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:46 pm

Winsome Gerbil wrote:I actually like the other proposals made for simultaneously bumping the playoffs and deterring tanking by all but the worst teams (those who can't even compete for the 10th spot).

But this midseason tournament bug has long seemed solely an Adam Silver fascination, and a misguided fanboy of the less successful Euroleagues fascination at that. It's dumb, and if teams pay as little attention to it as they are likely too, it could even turn embarrassing.

Adam Silver seems hell bent on killing the prosperity the league hasn’t seen since the 90s by introducing these European and WNBA influenced ideas. Maybe he should focus his energy on improving what has been working in recent yrs like the massive player movement in the offseason and find a way to stop all this load management stuff without caving into the players
lloydj
Rookie
And1: 97

Post#8 » by lloydj » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:14 pm

Here is another one of those Trump Era Cockamamie Schemes. Stop it, Stop it, Stop it already.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#9 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:36 pm

SAKURABA216 wrote:

1) Nobody would watch a tournament consisting of all bad teams... and money is the driving force here.
2) The Lottery should not be based on a playoff berth at all. Only about 7-9 teams should be eligible for #1.
SAKURABA216
Starter
And1: 817

Post#10 » by SAKURABA216 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:09 am

Lol as a fan of the perennial treadmill Pistons, I would be stoked to watch if it meant they could possibly win a 5th seed. As a fan of a bad team, we usually start focusing on college players and the draft after the all-star break. The point is to give a team on the cusp a decent pick to nudge them forward the next year. It's a #5 pick, not #1.

Anyways, its all fan fiction anyways and I was just throwing it out there.
doordoor123
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,226

Post#11 » by doordoor123 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:35 am

Playoff teams tend to get valuable experience that tends to particularly help younger players get better. A tournament with 30 teams could help those younger players on bad teams develop.
HeatFanLifer
General Manager
And1: 39,855

Post#12 » by HeatFanLifer » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:37 am

Would definitely need to give some sort of incentive to win. Otherwise, coaches may just play their players a bare minimum of minutes so they can get them rest. 3 weeks rest or a hard fought meaningless series of games??? Hmmmm.
OP for NBA FT record
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#13 » by Cookin Baskets » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:51 am

You think the details are so vague right now. I'm feeling super skeptical myself.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#14 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:09 am

REALLY DUMBASS IDEA from SILVER! :banghead:
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#15 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:19 am

Why are we trying to change the all star game? It’s always been fun. Already made it worse by making Captains pick teams instead of having it be Conferences.
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,831

Post#16 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:37 am

Meaningless tournaments or games will end up meaning nothing. It's simply a bad idea. I wouldn't watch meaningless games.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#17 » by Yosemite Dan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:08 pm

Doesn’t really matter because it’ll never be passed by the owners. Even they realize what a dumb idea this is. Soccer does it because they have a rich history with it. Just because this is being reported doesn’t mean it has any chance of being implemented. This is just one of countless other dumb ideas that have been proposed over the years that have no chance of passing. This just happened to get more media coverage.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#18 » by Vegeta10176 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:52 pm

This really is not that hard..

DO THE FOLLOWING:

Top 8 teams in each conference

1 v 4, 2 v 3, 5 v 8, 6 v 7 in a best of 5 game series loser of the bottom 4 is eliminated the winner of the bottom 4 plays the loser of the top 4 teams in a best of 5 game elimination series.. The winners get to play the rested team the order reversed I.e. if team 4 would now play team 2 instead of 1... This would become a 7 game series and play out this way till the WCF and ECF and then NBA finals.. This gives an advantage for finishing top 4 and also has the best teams playing each other more times..

Return to Wiretap Discussion