Dwane Casey Admits He Didn't Expect Pascal Siakam To Become Superstar

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Dwane Casey Admits He Didn't Expect Pascal Siakam To Become Superstar 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:51 pm

Pascal Siakam was the 27th overall pick in the 2016 NBA draft and has evolved from role player to key rotation player to legitimate superstar this season. 

“I didn’t see that he would be a superstar and he is a superstar in our league right now,” Dwane Casey said before Wednesday’s game against the Raptors. “He started 38 games in his first year and he was for us like (Pistons guard) Bruce Brown. He was that rabbit that comes out and guards the best player. Shooting was his last resort; it was his last offensive option.”

Casey also touted Siakam's work ethic.

“For those kids out there that want to see how good you can be, go watch him in the summertime. He is not worried about load management; the kid worked three times a day,” Casey said. “He and Rico (Hines) are out there in Los Angeles and they did a great job of developing his offensive game — and it’s on him. He did that all himself to develop his individual game, and his mom and dad did a great job with the DNA with the elite motor he has.

“I saw that he was going to be a good starter in our league and the trade for Serge (Ibaka) took place, but the rest of it, he did on his own.”

Via Rod Beard/Detroit News

defstarcon
Junior
And1: 176

Re: Dwane Casey Admits He Didn't Expect Pascal Siakam To Become Superstar 

Post#2 » by defstarcon » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:53 pm

another reason why casey was/is a mediocre coach
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,864

Post#3 » by deeps6x » Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:41 pm

defstarcon wrote:another reason why casey was/is a mediocre coach

Was?
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
defstarcon
Junior
And1: 176

Post#4 » by defstarcon » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:48 pm

was: when he coached the raptors
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#5 » by The_Hater » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:46 pm

Absolutely nobody projected Siakam to be a superstar 2-3 years ago so what’s the point in taking a shot at Casey for his comments?
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Dubious Kitty
Sophomore
And1: 161

Post#6 » by Dubious Kitty » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:19 pm

That’s why u fired fool
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,682

Post#7 » by Jeff Van Gully » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:27 pm

The_Hater wrote:

Absolutely nobody projected Siakam to be a superstar 2-3 years ago so what’s the point in taking a shot at Casey for his comments?

no. one. at. all.

i had siakam in fantasy last year and thought he could maybe become an all-star in kawhi's wake. the man is a monster. i love it.
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Post#8 » by OGLife » Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:31 pm

The_Hater wrote:

He's a coach. He's suppose to put the guys in positions to succeed and project growth.
The_Hater

Post#9 » by The_Hater » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:56 pm

OGLife wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

He's a coach. He's suppose to put the guys in positions to succeed and project growth.

So you certainly must have thought Siakam was going to be a superstar 24-36 months ago? Feel free to link us to all those old posts where you were the one that saw it coming where Casey and everyone else on the planet didn’t. They must exist if you’re taking this stance.

I hate to tell you, but Casey already played a huge positive part in Siakam’s development. Same with Fred, OG, Powell, Lowry and a lot of players no longer in the roster. But not every player projects to be a superstar. The fact the Raps have had a bunch of players exceed their expectations is actually a positive for Casey, not the negative you and that other poster are trying to spin it into.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Post#10 » by OGLife » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:59 pm

The_Hater wrote:
OGLife wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

So you certainly must have thought Siakam was going to be a superstar 24-36 months ago? Feel free to link us to all those old posts where you were the one that saw it coming where Casey and everyone else on the planet didn’t. They must exist if you’re taking this stance.

I hate to tell you, but Casey already played a huge positive part in Siakam’s development. Same with Fred, OG, Powell, Lowry and a lot of players no longer in the roster. But not every player projects to be a superstar. The fact the Raps have had a bunch of players exceed their expectations is actually a positive for Casey, not the negative you and that other poster are trying to spin it into.

If he thought Bruno was comparable to Lewis, then he had Siakam wrong. It's ok to say he was wrong. It's the point of his statement
The_Hater

Post#11 » by The_Hater » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:06 am

OGLife wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
OGLife wrote:He's a coach. He's suppose to put the guys in positions to succeed and project growth.

If he thought Bruno was comparable to Lewis, then he had Siakam wrong. It's ok to say he was wrong. It's the point of his statement

Your entire point here is just ridiculous.

If Casey said yesterday they he always though Siakam would be a superstar, you’d be here calling him a liar. Why? Because he would be lying as nobody had him projected to be they good. Not even Ujiri who actually has a the job of projecting the future of young players and also liked Bruno’s potential. . So shouldn’t we be taken shots at Ujiri here? Casey’s job isn’t even to project talent, he’s a coach not a scout or GM.

Cheap, unwarranted shots. Use common sense.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.

Return to Wiretap Discussion