Hawks Interested In Trading For Steven Adams

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Hawks Interested In Trading For Steven Adams 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:08 pm

The Atlanta Hawks have internally discussed the possibility of trading for Steven Adams.

Adams is due to make $27 million next season before becoming a free agent in 2021. Adams signed an extension with the Oklahoma City Thunder in 2016.

The Thunder are expected to embark on a rebuild and Adams is at an age where he could conceivably be young enough to remain part of their long-term plans.

The Hawks have identified center as a position of need.

Not2BeBothered
Junior
And1: 314

Re: Hawks Interested In Trading For Steven Adams 

Post#2 » by Not2BeBothered » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:30 pm

I mean it doesn’t affect their long term plans financially, but they have a bunch of centers already who play with minutes. Len, Jones, Bruno
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#3 » by TheCage4 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:31 pm

This move doesn’t make sense for the Hawks at this point, but it’s the Hawks, so there you go.

I hope for Adams sake, he ends up on a playoff team, but he’ll make $27 million next year so I won’t feel bad for him should he end up in exile.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#4 » by TheNewEra » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:34 pm

Not2BeBothered wrote:I mean it doesn’t affect their long term plans financially, but they have a bunch of centers already who play with minutes. Len, Jones, Bruno

If this was the move they were interested in they should of made it during the offseason
MoochieNorris
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,443

Post#5 » by MoochieNorris » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:48 pm

would be pretty dumb for okc to trade him at this point.

dont be a joke team. you're at .500 and in the playoffs over 1/3 into the season. go for it.
Mwd1981
Pro Prospect
And1: 124

Post#6 » by Mwd1981 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:21 pm

Surely you can find a centre that would approximate Adams for a lot less than $27 million
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,037

Post#7 » by Revived » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:34 pm

Don’t the Hawks have Alex Len playing pretty well for them?
eureca20
Junior
And1: 81

Post#8 » by eureca20 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:16 am

MoochieNorris wrote:would be pretty dumb for okc to trade him at this point.

dont be a joke team. you're at .500 and in the playoffs over 1/3 into the season. go for it.

Go for what exactly? The 8th seed so they can be swept and miss out on a lottery pick? A lottery pick where you have much better odds of jumping up than previous years.
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#9 » by Buzzard » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:05 am

This would be a great move so long as price is not to high.

Top dollar offers I would consider:
Nets pick, Huerter, a big expiring contract; or subtract Huerter and add a protected 1st in 2021 or 2022 instead

There is probably only one center, Wiseman, in the draft who will eventually be as good defensively as Adams. Hawks will have him for next season and if things go well could re-sign him.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Post#10 » by Buzzard » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:43 am

Not2BeBothered wrote:I mean it doesn’t affect their long term plans financially, but they have a bunch of centers already who play with minutes. Len, Jones, Bruno

Len and Jones are free agents next season. If the Hawks did this it would be more for a playoff push next season than this one. They would have to win 35 out of the remaining 52 games to get 41 wins. Probably to much to expect even with Adams and then Collins coming back next week.
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#11 » by Vegeta10176 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:31 am

eureca20 wrote:

Go for what exactly? The 8th seed so they can be swept and miss out on a lottery pick? A lottery pick where you have much better odds of jumping up than previous years.

They just came off paying a lot more to be a first round exit team.. There is something to be said about making the playoffs. Also they already have a ton of picks.. Personally I watch a couple of Thunder games here and there because they are a decent team that's interesting.. Wouldn't watch a thing if they tank obviously.. Now if the pick or player offered is compelling enough i think they should consider it..
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#12 » by the_process » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:37 am

It's bad for them to make the playoffs this year. They have Shai and nothing else going forward. Accumulate assets and build.
deeps6x
General Manager
And1: 5,864

Post#13 » by deeps6x » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:13 am

There are lots of good free agent centers in the summer. Maybe the Hawks should wait a little longer.
BoyzNTheHood wrote:I apologize, I have incredibly small genitalia
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 144

Post#14 » by Rashidi » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:01 am

Adams is a great target. He's what, 25, 26? Has nothing to do with making a playoff push this season. It's about the next five years.

Atlanta isn't exactly a prime FA destination. If Adams is the guy they want to lock up long-term to shore up their defense, go for it.
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#15 » by arasu » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:43 pm

eureca20 wrote:

Tanking can start a vicious cycle far worse than the dreaded 'mediocrity treadmill'. High draft picks are never even close to guaranteed to be good, let alone franchise type players. Losing can cast a pall over a team, and usually it isn't worth the slightly better odds of picking a better player, especially since the lottery odds have been adjusted. Look at teams like Boston and Dallas. Neither purposefully tanked, yet they came up with serious playoff contenders anyway, and without alienating fans. Every player on a winning team tends to have more trade value than if those same players are on a loser. Is tanking the trade value of the players on a team's roster worth the higher draft pick? Probably not. Also, young players get accustomed to losing and can develop less effectively because of it. If it appears that the franchise is embarking on a multi-year tank-job, players will be much less motivated to produce, stunting their development. Those players who do improve will be more likely to leave during free agency, or ask for more than market value contracts, or demand a trade. A player who had to deal with a multi-year tank is far less likely to tolerate a future injury-related down year for the team. And other team's free agents may be less motivated to join such a team. Fan pressure can force a sudden switch from a long-term tank process to a win-now process that then would likely lead to a series of bad decisions. Such bad decisions will usually create a situation that could create a multi-decade streak of bad basketball that can leave fans disgusted and anyone with any talent, from execs, to coaches, to players, with big reasons to avoid such a team, no matter how much money is offered. Generally, the downward spiral of tanking just isn't worth it.

There is a good chance the team could trade Adams and Gallo and still stay in the playoff hunt, and there is little reason not to do so. Specifically for OKC, making the playoffs would likely make CP3 more tradeable, since other teams would see that he can still be a leader of a winner. And SGA could benefit greatly from more playoff experience, especially as the team's star.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#16 » by The_Hater » Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:04 pm

Doesn’t it depend on what the Thunder get in return? I’m pretty sure at this point their goal isn’t to secure the 8th seed in a rebuilding year. And if they finish 9th or 10th instead, I’m not sure how one result makes them a a joke while the other doesn’t?
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#17 » by AirCanadaMouse » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:06 pm

Whose to say it won't make them better? Get rid of salary, you have Noel, who might even be better than Adams (Noel is a per minute monster this year with much improved FT shooting, he's at 82 percent currently) and it can give them a chance to land a player that fills in a bigger need, such as a SG. It's a win-win for them
Thank you Clutch0z24
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#18 » by NatiboyB » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:28 pm

I like this move for them he will add toughness to the team. They also have some assets that the Thunder may like and can absorb some of his contract I believe. I think chandler parsons deal matches Adams but the thunder look like they are competing for a playoff seed.
mhi
Pro Prospect
And1: 138

Post#19 » by mhi » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:52 pm

I am not even sure he would pass his medicals based off of what I've heard he's playing through. I am not sure why he's not more cautious given his age tbh.
Originated from the nethermost, currently however, our entire squadron is now hither.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,197

Post#20 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:34 pm

mhi wrote:I am not even sure he would pass his medicals based off of what I've heard he's playing through. I am not sure why he's not more cautious given his age tbh.

Is it possible to "play cautious" and play at this level? I would argue that it is not.

Return to Wiretap Discussion