Report: Dennis Robertson Sought Improper Benefits From Lakers, Raptors

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Report: Dennis Robertson Sought Improper Benefits From Lakers, Raptors 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:48 pm

The NBA conducted a formal investigation of the Los Angeles Clippers last offseason, according to three sources with knowledge of the situation that spoke with Sam Amick of The Athletic. The investigation focused on complaints that Kawhi Leonard's uncle, Dennis Robertson, had asked for improper benefits during the free agency process.

Sources say the NBA investigation found no evidence that the Clippers granted Robertson any of the improper requests.

According to sources, Robertson asked for part ownership of the team, a private plane that would be available at all times, a house and a guaranteed amount of off-court endorsement money they could expect if Leonard signed with their team. Robertson made those requests repeatedly to Jeanie Buss over the course of three phone calls.

The discussions with Robertson led Buss to suspect the Lakers were being used for leverage to help him get what he wanted from the Clippers. Sources say Robertson made similar requests to the Raptors.

The NBA subsequently doubled their fines for tampering while also re-emphasizing its ability to conduct random audits.

“This is because of Dennis. He didn’t know the rules,” said one agent.

Said one owner: “This (league-wide discussion) is all because of Uncle Dennis.”

Via Sam Amick/The Athletic

RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Re: Report: Dennis Robertson Sought Improper Benefits From Lakers, Raptors 

Post#2 » by RonaldArtest » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:15 pm

Uncle Dennis trying to squeeze every last dime from his meal ticket Kawhi.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#3 » by Calinks » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:15 pm

LMAO at some of those requests! Man the dude shot for the moon, I wouldn't even fathom asking for some of those things. If I were to go for some asks mine would way tamer.

Didn't think about it but asking for a house OR apartment would be pretty awesome if it was paid up Would be huge for free. I wouldn't be bold enough to ask for a house flat out though lol.

No way in hell would I contemplate them giving me private jet access LMAO. I would think its sweet if they flew me out to a few games a year commercial.

Now it makes me wonder if close relatives to NBA players get hooked up like this (on some scale) by the organizations.

Also when I first read this I thought it said Dennis Rodman.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#4 » by TheBoi10 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:27 pm

RonaldArtest wrote:Uncle Dennis trying to squeeze every last dime from his meal ticket Kawhi.

Uncle Dennis was a bank Vice-President in New York before Kawhi made it. The guy had his own money and properties before Kawhi, he knows what he's doing. He got Kawhi out of a situation/city he didn't want (Spurs) and got him paid as well.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#5 » by tigerae » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:39 pm

TheBoi10 wrote:
RonaldArtest wrote:Uncle Dennis trying to squeeze every last dime from his meal ticket Kawhi.

Uncle Dennis was a bank Vice-President in New York before Kawhi made it. The guy had his own money and properties before Kawhi, he knows what he's doing. He got Kawhi out of a situation/city he didn't want (Spurs) and got him paid as well.
Had it been money driven, he would have taken the 221 million supermax contract from SA. Instead he lost him money overall. This was more of a right fit for him in a place Kawhi feels wanted and appreciated.
Jabroni Lames
Analyst
And1: 3,886

Post#6 » by Jabroni Lames » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:53 pm

Report: Dennis Robertson received improper benefits from Clippers.

That’s obviously how the story ends, right?

..........To nobody’s surprise.
Lateral Quicks
RealGM
And1: 16,403

Post#7 » by Lateral Quicks » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:03 am

TheBoi10 wrote:

Kawhi got Kawhi paid.
Nick Nurse recounting his first meeting with Kawhi:
“We could have gone forever. (Raptors management) kept knocking on the door and I was like, ‘A couple more minutes.’ Because we were really into it."
YelloC
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,489

Post#8 » by YelloC » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:22 am

The things that were requested will be paid once Kawhi has retired from the league.
It will all be deferred and by then nobody will care. Pretty obvious.
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#9 » by 720 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:32 am

TheBoi10 wrote:

Ah so he’s a typical scummy banker.
FlopmastrGenral
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#10 » by FlopmastrGenral » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:08 am

The ownership stake in the team, if granted, must have been to Kawhi’s benefit. Hard to believe these are not, in fact, Kawhi’s demands.

These negotiations seem to have been an attempt to circumvent the CBA, to the end of getting a player’s true value
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#11 » by deepeeenn » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:18 am

Is Dennis the Board Man?
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#12 » by MitchB3 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:38 am

I mean of course, the Clippers would deny it.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#13 » by jason bourne » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:15 am

Earlier today, I said Kawhi was faking his injury for tendiopathy of both legs. He is able to play, but rather take days off for load management. With his injury, he still won a ring and Finals MVP last year. The year before that, other Spurs players thought he could play. Even Tony Parker said his quad injury was 100x worse than Kawhi's and got criticized for it. He backed off.

Now it's going to be 2020 and Kawhi is playing fine and probably will end up taking more days off. Through his uncle, he can make requests for load management and have the power to take the days off he wants most of the time. I think these stories about his Uncle Dennis making other illegal requests makes it more suspicious.

Kawhi also looks like a weasel. He probably knows very well what his uncle is requesting is illegal, but wants to see what he can get away with.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
WaltFrazier
RealGM
And1: 26,518

Post#14 » by WaltFrazier » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:16 pm

Jabroni Lames wrote:Report: Dennis Robertson received improper benefits from Clippers.

That’s obviously how the story ends, right?

..........To nobody’s surprise.

Right. I mean the 2 teams he didn't sign with verify that he made illegal requests, but somehow the team he did sign with somehow gave no improper inducements?
There goes my hero. Watch him as he goes.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#15 » by EAS Law » Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:48 pm

TheBoi10 wrote:

If he knew what he was doing, we wouldn’t be reading this story and he would have a house, private jet access, and under the table endorsement money. Being the VP of a bank does not necessarily mean you are familiar with what is legal/proper when it comes to the rules and bylaws of a private association like the NBA.

He’s just a greedy and evidently cocky person that benefitted from his nephew’s success and physical talents. Agents and GMs evidently think he’s a clown.
TheBoi10
General Manager
And1: 11,891

Post#16 » by TheBoi10 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 6:15 pm

EAS Law wrote:
TheBoi10 wrote:

If he knew what he was doing, we wouldn’t be reading this story and he would have a house, private jet access, and under the table endorsement money. Being the VP of a bank does not necessarily mean you are familiar with what is legal/proper when it comes to the rules and bylaws of a private association like the NBA.

He’s just a greedy and evidently cocky person that benefitted from his nephew’s success and physical talents. Agents and GMs evidently think he’s a clown.

Are we sure he didn't get those things from Ballmer? :roll:

Return to Wiretap Discussion