Bill Self Strongly Denies Links To Becoming Head Coach Of Spurs

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Bill Self Strongly Denies Links To Becoming Head Coach Of Spurs 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jan 3, 2020 4:10 pm

Bill Self publicly addressed rumors that he could leave Kansas to replace Gregg Popovich as head coach of the San Antonio Spurs. Self has been linked with the Spurs due to his longstanding friendship with R.C. Buford.

Seth Greenberg of ESPN made the prediction this week.

“First of all, I have not talked to Seth in five to six months,” Self said. “Secondly and most importantly I haven’t talked to R.C. ever about it, and he was in my wedding and I was in his. I know him pretty well and we’ve never once discussed it (job).

“Thirdly, I think it’s kind of an insult to the Spurs because they have the greatest coach maybe our sport has potentially ever known, especially NBA,” Self added. “One of the two or three best all time for sure.

“There’s absolutely zero truth to that,” he continued of rumors he’ll be Spurs coach, maybe next season. “The thing that cracks me up about some media types is the more outlandish things you can say … what it was, was (his) ‘Bold Predictions for 2020 (segment).’ You grab something or throw something against the wall and hope something sticks. There’s zero truth to that. That’s not even one that would impact us positively, negatively. There’s nothing to it at all.”

Via Gary Bedore/Kansas City Star

mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Re: Bill Self Strongly Denies Links To Becoming Head Coach Of Spurs 

Post#2 » by mplsfonz23 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 7:01 pm

So that confirms it. He's making the jump next year. If he doesn't get canned soon.

Just don't see him getting ANY more good recruits now that there is an investigation.
Spurs go from sugar to **** in two years.
Diggr14
Analyst
And1: 1,148

Post#3 » by Diggr14 » Fri Jan 3, 2020 8:30 pm

Bill Self plays a little fast and loose with the truth. It's a miracle his program or he himself hasnt gotten a massive ban yet. Same with UK, UofA, Duke, UNC. Just pull back the curtain NCAA... all you gotta do.
Khris Middleton - Beating up on Trash Can Teams since 1943. Invisible Man status otherwise.
DarkoNeedsAfro
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,239

Post#4 » by DarkoNeedsAfro » Fri Jan 3, 2020 9:47 pm

It might be hard for him to adjust to attracting players to the Spurs.

They pay their players less than he does at Kansas.

Return to Wiretap Discussion