Kyrie Irving Tried To Clarify Comments With Teammates

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Kyrie Irving Tried To Clarify Comments With Teammates 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:11 pm

Kyrie Irving revealed he has spoken to his Brooklyn Nets' teammates about comments in which he listed the players he saw as being a part of the franchise's future.

"I reached out to make sure nothing was taken out of context -- making sure that the guys knew exactly what I meant," Irving said on Friday after practice. "And that is the only thing that matters. Everyone can say, if I was in this position, 'I would've said this, I would've done this.' They have have no idea because they've never been at this level, so how could you even comment on it?"

He continued: "The most important thing is making sure these guys -- they have the belief in themselves and I continue to reiterate that confidence we have as a team. It is going to come down to that in order to be at a championship level to compete against the West, we need more. It is what it is."

On Wednesday, Irving told reporters that he felt it was "glaring" that the Nets "need one or two more pieces to complement" himself, Kevin Durant, DeAndre Jordan, Garrett Temple, Spencer Dinwiddie and Caris LeVert.

Irving most notably omitted Jarrett Allen, Joe Harris and Taurean Prince.

Irving also said he is not imploring the Nets to make any major moves before the Feb. 6 trade deadline.

"I think when we have championship aspirations," Irving said. "Do we want to be the eighth seed going into the playoffs? The seventh seed? But you're able to be real with the team that you have here and you're able to collectively, cohesively come together as a group. That is what you figure out. But the goals are still to win a championship. I don't come in every day to frickin' be mediocre or to be in the middle of the standings."

Via Malika Andrews/ESPN

popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Re: Kyrie Irving Tried To Clarify Comments With Teammates 

Post#2 » by popfan » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:03 pm

Kyrie is doing his best impression of Lebron James except that he's not one of the greatest players to ever play. I'm not talking media great like Dirk or Nash or Curry. I'm talking legendary like MJ, Wilt, Kareem, Duncan and Russell...that's Lebron's company.

That's not Kyrie's company. Yet Kyrie is applying Lebron's license when Kyrie doesn't have it. Spending billions when he's only got thousands. It's a new age Kyrie. Jokic, Doncic and Giannis have taken over the league. Your ten minutes of fame have passed.

Blatantly detonating team chemistry in the media won't win a player any championships. Sounds like Kyrie wants to be trade. If the Nets truly want to win a title, they should trade him while he's healthy. It'll be interesting to see how the former Spur turned Nets GM handles this situation because it'll define him. Marks seems like a sharp guy though.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#3 » by kenwood3333 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:28 pm

He tried to assume the leadership role in Boston and it completely failed. Not sure if he has learned anything out of that experience.
galeon110
Analyst
And1: 629

Post#4 » by galeon110 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:49 pm

He’s at the point now where he should just stfu and avoid making public statements
Badbobby
Sophomore
And1: 187

Post#5 » by Badbobby » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:50 pm

popfan wrote:Kyrie is doing his best impression of Lebron James except that he's not one of the greatest players to ever play. I'm not talking media great like Dirk or Nash or Curry. I'm talking legendary like MJ, Wilt, Kareem, Duncan and Russell...that's Lebron's company.

That's not Kyrie's company. Yet Kyrie is applying Lebron's license when Kyrie doesn't have it. Spending billions when he's only got thousands. It's a new age Kyrie. Jokic, Doncic and Giannis have taken over the league. Your ten minutes of fame have passed.

Blatantly detonating team chemistry in the media won't win a player any championships. Sounds like Kyrie wants to be trade. If the Nets truly want to win a title, they should trade him while he's healthy. It'll be interesting to see how the former Spur turned Nets GM handles this situation because it'll define him. Marks seems like a sharp guy though.

Kyrie for Westbrook make it happen! :D
Risk Addict
Analyst
And1: 239

Post#6 » by Risk Addict » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:14 pm

How did this moron get into Duke?
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,554

Post#7 » by lonzo_pelota » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:26 pm

sad to say he almosts reminds me of antonio brown on the steelers , make it all about him as if he has no flaws and throw his teammates under the bus when the media puts a microphone in his face
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,210

Post#8 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:43 am

It's simple; He had no plan and didn't think it through. He was just shifting blame in the heat of the moment.... much like my kids do.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#9 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:06 am

Hilarious. He definitely isolated his teammates.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#10 » by TheCage4 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:26 am

You take a guy who is not good under pressure and place him in the media grinder that is NY and this is what you get...

A stumbling bumbling self important dunce who looks to be wearing out his welcome in yet another city. The Nets are going to, if not already, regret signing Irving & Co.

KD looks to have a personality cut from the same cloth, and Brooklyn gifted $40 million to their third wheel friend Jordan who is in the twilight of his career.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Batsy
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#11 » by Batsy » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:10 am

popfan wrote:It's a new age Kyrie. Jokic, Doncic and Giannis have taken over the league. Your ten minutes of fame have passed.

He has preformed on a bigger stage at a much higher level than any of those 3. Just saying
I agree with everything else. I like how you differentiate "media great" and legendary status, I couldn't come up with that myself but you were spot on.
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#12 » by Sam195 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:23 am

popfan wrote:Kyrie is doing his best impression of Lebron James except that he's not one of the greatest players to ever play. I'm not talking media great like Dirk or Nash or Curry. I'm talking legendary like MJ, Wilt, Kareem, Duncan and Russell...that's Lebron's company.

Lmfao take Lebron out of Lebron's company he does not belong in that tier you can throw in Kawhi, Shaq and Kobe in there. Lebron is a damn ring chaser who shops for superteams he will never be considered one of the greatest to ever play unless you are some Cleveland/Miami homer or never saw the greats in the top tier play. The only time Lebron actually tried to be great and carry a team was during his first stint in Cleveland where he got swept in the 2007 nba finals, lost to the Celtics in the second round in 2008 and 2010 and lost to the 2009 Dwight Howard led Magic in the eastern conference finals. He was never a champion compare this to Kawhi and Shaq who got traded to teams they never wanted to go in Toronto and Miami and made it work within one and two seasons respectively and helped deliver the first title ever for two separate franchises. That is how great ones behave they deal with the hand they are dealt and deliver. Kawhi also won with the Spurs while Shaq won with the Lakers after joining them as a ufa and no one saw Kobe becoming the killer he became playing Robin to Shaq's Batman. Lebron and Kevin Durant both will go down as ring chasers they cheated to win by joining or forming super teams to win their first titles and any successive ones they have won or will win the rest of their careers. Lol they are second class greats and lmfao Kyrie maybe a third class great. And lol what do you mean media great? I would consider Dirk and Curry in the same second class as Lebron and Durant but clearly better respected at least they both won titles with the teams that drafted them and Curry didn't start the recruiting pitches till long after he delivered his first ring. Obviously neither delivered on their own multiple times so they don't belong in the first group.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,996

Post#13 » by 31to6 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:18 am

Hi everyone! It’s cool that we all like hoops I do too. My favorite team is the Boston Celtics and I just really like them and their players. Hope you have a great day!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#14 » by 23artest23 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:04 pm

Sam195 wrote:

Lmfao take Lebron out of Lebron's company he does not belong in that tier you can throw in Kawhi, Shaq and Kobe in there. Lebron is a damn ring chaser who shops for superteams he will never be considered one of the greatest to ever play unless you are some Cleveland/Miami homer or never saw the greats in the top tier play. The only time Lebron actually tried to be great and carry a team was during his first stint in Cleveland where he got swept in the 2007 nba finals, lost to the Celtics in the second round in 2008 and 2010 and lost to the 2009 Dwight Howard led Magic in the eastern conference finals. He was never a champion compare this to Kawhi and Shaq who got traded to teams they never wanted to go in Toronto and Miami and made it work within one and two seasons respectively and helped deliver the first title ever for two separate franchises. That is how great ones behave they deal with the hand they are dealt and deliver. Kawhi also won with the Spurs while Shaq won with the Lakers after joining them as a ufa and no one saw Kobe becoming the killer he became playing Robin to Shaq's Batman. Lebron and Kevin Durant both will go down as ring chasers they cheated to win by joining or forming super teams to win their first titles and any successive ones they have won or will win the rest of their careers. Lol they are second class greats and lmfao Kyrie maybe a third class great. And lol what do you mean media great? I would consider Dirk and Curry in the same second class as Lebron and Durant but clearly better respected at least they both won titles with the teams that drafted them and Curry didn't start the recruiting pitches till long after he delivered his first ring. Obviously neither delivered on their own multiple times so they don't belong in the first group.

You should make an attempt at formatting your thoughts in a fashion that others can read legibly. I attempted to read it but once I read that LBJ could never be considered one of the greats by anyone but a homer, the two things just pushed me to stop reading.

I dislike LBJ just as much and probably more than the next guy. The only thing I like about him is that he will occasionally touch on the societal issues that most rich folk will act as though they cannot see. Outside of that, I can't stand LBJ. With that said, I can still respect the fact that he is clearly one of the best players or perhaps even the best player to ever play the game. For someone not to be able to recognize that, I would have to question their basketball knowledge.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#15 » by Vegeta10176 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:42 pm

If you consider Kevin Durant equal to LeBron ( I don't but no denying he is damn good but if you do) is this nets list with what should now be a prime Kyrie Irving not better than the Cavs team that won a championship? .. So when KD returns if he comes back whole of course is this team not better at least on paper than the Cavs team..
TMac Culloch
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#16 » by TMac Culloch » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:27 pm

Reminds me of when Lebron didn't mention Dion Waiters as part of Cavs future. He got traded
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,820

Post#17 » by spree2kawhi » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:51 pm

Sam195 wrote:

99%. Need to include Duncan.
Dennis 37
RealGM
And1: 17,785

Post#18 » by Dennis 37 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:06 pm

TheCage4 wrote:You take a guy who is not good under pressure and place him in the media grinder that is NY and this is what you get...

A stumbling bumbling self important dunce who looks to be wearing out his welcome in yet another city. The Nets are going to, if not already, regret signing Irving & Co.

KD looks to have a personality cut from the same cloth, and Brooklyn gifted $40 million to their third wheel friend Jordan who is in the twilight of his career.

Getting Irving helped get Durant. Now that they have Durant they can maybe add a first to Irving to get rid of him.
Maxpainmedia:
"NYC has the **** most Two Faced fans, but we ALL loved IQ,, and that is super rare, I've been a Knicks fan for 37 years, this kid is a star and he will snap in Toronto"
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#19 » by kamaze » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:05 pm

Dennis 37 wrote:
TheCage4 wrote:You take a guy who is not good under pressure and place him in the media grinder that is NY and this is what you get...

Getting Irving helped get Durant. Now that they have Durant they can maybe add a first to Irving to get rid of him.

Trade him for Jrue Holiday :nod:
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
QWERTYUIOP1248
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#20 » by QWERTYUIOP1248 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:08 pm

Sam195 wrote:

Shaq's Heat and Kawhi's Raptors are totally different from those early LeBron Cavs teams. The Heat and Raptors from those specific eras were a lot more talented than Lebrons Cavs were. Kawhi had All-star Kyle Lowry and MIP Pascal Siakam, as well as a terrific supporting cast who even this year without Kawhi is still at this moment 4th in the east. And Shaq had Dwyane Wade on his team. So it's not fair to compare those two teams with LeBron's teams (who he still dragged to the finals) who weren't very good at all.

Return to Wiretap Discussion