Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,904

Re: Lakers, 76ers Express Interest In Trading For Derrick Rose 

Post#21 » by RSP83 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:16 pm

We Are Groot wrote:
RSP83 wrote:

i'm not a Laker hater, I pick the Lakers to win it all this year.

My worry with Derrick on the Lakers is based on his previous stop in Cleveland playing with Lebron. He couldn't even secure a starting spot there playing next to Lebron. First, because Derrick needs to dominate the ball, and he wasn't able to do that there as a starting point guard especially with Lebron around...

Second, Derrick naturally is a very unselfish player he often deferred to other stars ...

By serious consideration I mean Lakers must be ready to put him out there unleashed, even if that means Lebron sometime must take a back seat ...

... I don't see what is so shameful about playing backup to Murray? the guy has been through a lot ...

My take is Lakers will be low risk and high reward from team perspective, but also high risk low to medium reward from Derrick's personal career development standpoint. Lakers may win it all, but Derrick may either flop or at best doing his best George Hill type role player impression supporting both Lebron and AD. As a Rose fan, it's fun to see what he can still do in Detroit. I'd love to see him continue to do that with a winning team but in a less controlled environment. This is my idea of looking out for the guy.

i've been a big fan of D'Rose going back to his days @ Memphis. When he put up that 50 burger in Minny and got emotional, my heart bled for the kid. i have a lot of appreciation and respect for what he has done to go from being a superstar to being humbled, and having to work his way back to respectability after hurting his knee.i love my Lakers, but i consider myself a basketball fan 1st and Derrick Rose's return to relevance has been one of the most enjoyable things i've witnessed.

if u really are a Rose fan, why r u comparing him now to the player he was in CLE? seriously, he's come such a long way. he really turned a corner in Minnesota & rounded his game out. Rose wld have the ball & offense all to himself the minutes Bron sits; and if you've watched the Lakers play this year, u'd kno LeBron is also unselfish and has been more than willing to "take a back seat" to let his teammates run the offense. it shld be pointed out, it's not necessarily sumn he does very well consistently - even tho LeBron off the ball in theory shld terrorize defenses - but all season he's gotten off the ball at times to let AD, Kuz and even Rondo (!!!) handle. i don't see Rose being a primary ball handler in the clutch for the Lakers, but he'd be the secondary ball handler in LA vs the tertiary initiator (behind Jokic & Murray) in Denver.

i never said there was any shame in Rose backing up Murray. my point was, i just think he'd have a more impactful role w/the Lakers than he wld with Denver. i don't think any1 wld make the argument that Denver needs Rose more than LA does. Rondo is the only true PG on the Lakers. in a lot of ways, LA wld be the perfect stage for him to showcase exactly how far he's come over the past few seasons. it's a head scratcher to me why u don't see this ... unless ofc u're a Laker hater

First because I based my opinion on what has happened. Why are you so sure that his struggle in Cleveland had nothing to do with fit with Lebron at all? Sure he had offcourt problems, but he was quoted saying that it was awkward to play with Lebron and Cleveland was his only way back into the league. I have no doubt that Rose is in a better place now mentally and physically than he was 2 years ago. Which is why I'd love to see him go to a place where he can still shine, c'mon you know with the Lakers he'll be third wheel behind Lebron and AD. And DRose is not Kyrie, who is a better complementary player to Lebron.

Tertiary initiator in Denver? you don't have much confidence in him do you? if Nuggets thinks it's important enough to trade for DRose, then he will play an important role. But this probably won't happen. The Nuggets situation I have my own opinion that with Murray and Jokic, they are at best second round and out team. Of course there are people who think they are better than that, but I don't think they have a chance against Clippers and Lakers in the playoff. Less than 50% sure they can even beat the Rockets. Rose probably won't ever end up in Denver, but the idea of him leading a young Nuggets team to the WCF and go head to head with Lebron is a lot cooler scenario if you're a true DRose fan. After Heat - Bulls 2011, Rose and Bron meet again in Lakers - Nuggets 2020? If this happens, isn't it an even better showcase? unless ofc you're a bandwagon DRose fan.
Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Re: Lakers, 76ers Express Interest In Trading For Derrick Rose 

Post#22 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:40 am

RSP83 wrote:
We Are Groot wrote:
RSP83 wrote:

i'm not a Laker hater, I pick the Lakers to win it all this year.

My worry with Derrick on the Lakers is based on his previous stop in Cleveland playing with Lebron. He couldn't even secure a starting spot there playing next to Lebron. First, because Derrick needs to dominate the ball, and he wasn't able to do that there as a starting point guard especially with Lebron around...

Second, Derrick naturally is a very unselfish player he often deferred to other stars ...

By serious consideration I mean Lakers must be ready to put him out there unleashed, even if that means Lebron sometime must take a back seat ...

... I don't see what is so shameful about playing backup to Murray? the guy has been through a lot ...

My take is Lakers will be low risk and high reward from team perspective, but also high risk low to medium reward from Derrick's personal career development standpoint. Lakers may win it all, but Derrick may either flop or at best doing his best George Hill type role player impression supporting both Lebron and AD. As a Rose fan, it's fun to see what he can still do in Detroit. I'd love to see him continue to do that with a winning team but in a less controlled environment. This is my idea of looking out for the guy.

i've been a big fan of D'Rose going back to his days @ Memphis. When he put up that 50 burger in Minny and got emotional, my heart bled for the kid. i have a lot of appreciation and respect for what he has done to go from being a superstar to being humbled, and having to work his way back to respectability after hurting his knee.i love my Lakers, but i consider myself a basketball fan 1st and Derrick Rose's return to relevance has been one of the most enjoyable things i've witnessed.

if u really are a Rose fan, why r u comparing him now to the player he was in CLE? seriously, he's come such a long way. he really turned a corner in Minnesota & rounded his game out. Rose wld have the ball & offense all to himself the minutes Bron sits; and if you've watched the Lakers play this year, u'd kno LeBron is also unselfish and has been more than willing to "take a back seat" to let his teammates run the offense. it shld be pointed out, it's not necessarily sumn he does very well consistently - even tho LeBron off the ball in theory shld terrorize defenses - but all season he's gotten off the ball at times to let AD, Kuz and even Rondo (!!!) handle. i don't see Rose being a primary ball handler in the clutch for the Lakers, but he'd be the secondary ball handler in LA vs the tertiary initiator (behind Jokic & Murray) in Denver.

i never said there was any shame in Rose backing up Murray. my point was, i just think he'd have a more impactful role w/the Lakers than he wld with Denver. i don't think any1 wld make the argument that Denver needs Rose more than LA does. Rondo is the only true PG on the Lakers. in a lot of ways, LA wld be the perfect stage for him to showcase exactly how far he's come over the past few seasons. it's a head scratcher to me why u don't see this ... unless ofc u're a Laker hater

First because I based my opinion on what has happened. Why are you so sure that his struggle in Cleveland had nothing to do with fit with Lebron at all? Sure he had offcourt problems, but he was quoted saying that it was awkward to play with Lebron and Cleveland was his only way back into the league. I have no doubt that Rose is in a better place now mentally and physically than he was 2 years ago. Which is why I'd love to see him go to a place where he can still shine, c'mon you know with the Lakers he'll be third wheel behind Lebron and AD. And DRose is not Kyrie, who is a better complementary player to Lebron.

Tertiary initiator in Denver? you don't have much confidence in him do you? if Nuggets thinks it's important enough to trade for DRose, then he will play an important role. But this probably won't happen. The Nuggets situation I have my own opinion that with Murray and Jokic, they are at best second round and out team. Of course there are people who think they are better than that, but I don't think they have a chance against Clippers and Lakers in the playoff. Less than 50% sure they can even beat the Rockets. Rose probably won't ever end up in Denver, but the idea of him leading a young Nuggets team to the WCF and go head to head with Lebron is a lot cooler scenario if you're a true DRose fan. After Heat - Bulls 2011, Rose and Bron meet again in Lakers - Nuggets 2020? If this happens, isn't it an even better showcase? unless ofc you're a bandwagon DRose fan.

I don't think he'd start on either team. The best thing for his playing time would be to stay where he is. You can argue about his best opportunity for a ring but I don't think Rose solves either teams biggest issues.

Return to Wiretap Discussion