Hassan Whiteside Has 50/50 Chance Of Being Traded By Blazers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Hassan Whiteside Has 50/50 Chance Of Being Traded By Blazers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:00 pm

The Portland Trail Blazers are prepared to listen to trade offers for Hassan Whiteside leading to the deadline. Whiteside is on an expiring contract.

"I don’t believe (Neil) Olshey is robo-calling each team trying to unload Whiteside," writes Jason Quick of The Athletic. "But he will certainly entertain offers. I would put Whiteside’s chances of staying in Portland at 50/50 right now."

One reason why Whiteside may remain with the Blazers beyond the deadline is the lack of options available to them. Quick writes that logical fits like Otto Porter Jr. and Blake Griffin are injured, while Kevin Love and Thaddeus Young have undesirable contracts.

Via Jason Quick/The Athletic

GordanFreeman
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,165

Re: Hassan Whiteside Has 50/50 Chance Of Being Traded By Blazers 

Post#2 » by GordanFreeman » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:39 pm

Wait, why are they trying to trade him? He’s playing very well for them.
Nvm I guess they’re raising the white flag.
TDotJon
Junior
And1: 514

Post#3 » by TDotJon » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:40 pm

GordanFreeman wrote:Wait, why are they trying to trade him? He’s playing very well for them.

Just because he gets stats doesn't mean he's playing well.
GordanFreeman
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,165

Post#4 » by GordanFreeman » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:06 pm

Blazers fans seem to like his play. Many of his adnavced stats are good too. Granted I haven’t watched any blazers games but it seems he’s played well for them.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 6,177

Post#5 » by BigGargamel » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:12 pm

TDotJon wrote:
GordanFreeman wrote:Wait, why are they trying to trade him? He’s playing very well for them.

But he is playing very well.
Waynearchetype
Sixth Man
And1: 971

Post#6 » by Waynearchetype » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:21 pm

He is playing well but the team is just injury ridden. Probably best to look towards the future. Nurkic should come back soon, which will send Whiteside to the bench where he would have less of an impact. If there is a trade available for a PF or SF.... that is a better long term option.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,111

Post#7 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:34 pm

DO IT!!!!!!
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,111

Post#8 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:34 pm

BigGargamel wrote:
TDotJon wrote:

But he is playing very well.

hes really not, hes getting stats, but he kills their defense.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,239

Post#9 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:34 pm

He's a large expiring contract at a position where they have a starter (Nurkic) returning to action soon.
Team is underperforming, and he's one way to significantly change it.
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 374

Post#10 » by Elnegron » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:41 pm

You love Whiteside if you only watching games from scoreboard. Bad passer even worst 1 on 1 defender, low motor, etc. This is why stats don't tell the whole story
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,219

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:32 pm

Elnegron wrote:You love Whiteside if you only watching games from scoreboard. Bad passer even worst 1 on 1 defender, low motor, etc. This is why stats don't tell the whole story

IDK... I watched him from the 100 level against IND on Sunday. He had 21/14 with 6 blocks on 9 of 11 shooting. Yes, Ariza shook his head a few times when he got beat and no help came behind him, but Whiteside had his hands full with Sabonis.

I agree that POR should trade him for a starting caliber wing if they can... but they won't be able to. And without Whiteside to tie them over to a Nurkic return their lottery odds will be stacking up. As flawed as he is, they need him right now.
xAIRNESSx
RealGM
And1: 13,162

Post#12 » by xAIRNESSx » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:41 pm

I was never exactly sure why they traded for him in the first place.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#13 » by The_Hater » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:20 pm

xAIRNESSx wrote:I was never exactly sure why they traded for him in the first place.

For three reasons.

Nurkic was injured for months, and they needed someone to play Center and hold the fort.

The Heat literally traded him for free, the the cost to acquire was minimal for Portland.

Because they figured by the time Nurkic was ready to return at the trade deadline they had a valuable expiring contract to upgrade another part of the roster.

And it’s not like he’s played poorly for them, he’s exceeded just about everyone’s expectations this season.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#14 » by SamFlow » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:16 am

Get Drummond.

Upside and youth with Drummond at least.
BigDaddyJungle
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 374

Post#15 » by Elnegron » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:18 am

The_Hater wrote:
xAIRNESSx wrote:I was never exactly sure why they traded for him in the first place.

For three reasons.

Nurkic was injured for months, and they needed someone to play Center and hold the fort.

The Heat literally traded him for free, the the cost to acquire was minimal for Portland.

Because they figured by the time Nurkic was ready to return at the trade deadline they had a valuable expiring contract to upgrade another part of the roster.

And it’s not like he’s played poorly for them, he’s exceeded just about everyone’s expectations this season.

Honey the heat didn't want him lol
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#16 » by The_Hater » Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:26 am

Elnegron wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

For three reasons.

Obviously since they gave him away. Honey.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#17 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:06 am

The_Hater wrote:
Elnegron wrote:
The_Hater wrote:
For three reasons.

Obviously since they gave him away. Honey.

It's heartwarming to see you guys being so sweet to each other!

But the Heat didn't just give Whiteside away. It was a 3-way trade in which they took on Meyers Leonard and sent Harkless and a conditional 1st to LAC. They essentially paid to get rid of him.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#18 » by HIF » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:26 am

whiteside is a whining malcontent. We improved by getting him out of Miami. No-one questioned his ability. They questioned his selfishness and attitude.

We had to "give him away" because everyone in the league realised that he is poison on a good team.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,851

Post#19 » by spree2kawhi » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:03 pm

Pickled Prunes wrote:
Elnegron wrote:You love Whiteside if you only watching games from scoreboard. Bad passer even worst 1 on 1 defender, low motor, etc. This is why stats don't tell the whole story

IDK... I watched him from the 100 level against IND on Sunday. He had 21/14 with 6 blocks on 9 of 11 shooting. Yes, Ariza shook his head a few times when he got beat and no help came behind him, but Whiteside had his hands full with Sabonis.

I agree that POR should trade him for a starting caliber wing if they can... but they won't be able to. And without Whiteside to tie them over to a Nurkic return their lottery odds will be stacking up. As flawed as he is, they need him right now.

They can trade him and a young asset for Marcus Morris today.

Hell they can get Morris and Randle for all I care...
Pickled Prunes
General Manager

Post#20 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:13 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:
Pickled Prunes wrote:

They can trade him and a young asset for Marcus Morris today.

Hell they can get Morris and Randle for all I care...

Well, it would take more than Morris to get the salaries to line up, but I doubt POR wants Randle. I'm also not sure that POR has a young asset they would be willing to part with to acquire Morris as a rental when the playoffs are in question.

So maybe they can't get Morris today.

Return to Wiretap Discussion