Suns, Pistons Discussing Deal Centered Around Luke Kennard

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Suns, Pistons Discussing Deal Centered Around Luke Kennard 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:06 am

The Detroit Pistons and Phoenix Suns are discussing a trade package involving Luke Kennard, league sources told Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.

One possible package picking up steam involves the Suns sending back Jevon Carter, Elie Okobo and a first-round pick for Kennard.

The Suns see Kennard as a 30 minutes-plus per game floor spacer next to Devin Booker, Kelly Oubre, Jr., and Ricky Rubio.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Phystic
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,653

Re: Suns, Pistons Discussing Deal Centered Around Luke Kennard 

Post#2 » by Phystic » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:41 am

I don't know much about Kennard other than he was pegged as a shooter in the draft. Has he shown anything? Not sure why we would view him as a 30min guy when we have Cam Johnson already. Plus how does he get 30min with Booker, bridges, oubre and cam all on the wing?
TheBonzaiEffect
Starter
And1: 2,445

Post#3 » by TheBonzaiEffect » Tue Feb 4, 2020 7:41 am

He is averaging 16/4/4 on a 59% TS this year, so I'd say he's shown something. Not sure how he fits with Rubio, Booker, Oubre, though...
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,087

Post#4 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 7:51 am

why would Detroit trade him?
ShazamDaShiznt
Analyst
And1: 4,766

Post#5 » by ShazamDaShiznt » Tue Feb 4, 2020 9:36 am

Pistons stay mediocre choosing guys like kennard over mitchell and then trading him few years later :lol:

Ever since the great 00s pistons it's been nothing but overpaid contracts or bad draft decisions.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,305

Post#6 » by hippesthippo » Tue Feb 4, 2020 9:47 am

He's one of our few talented pieces worth hanging onto.

The shooting has been as advertised and the all-around game he showed flashes of in college is starting to translate to the NBA level now that he's getting consistent playing time and touches.

Defense.. best described as meh. Not a turnstyle, but certainly no great shakes either.

If we're trading Kennard, we should be looking at a Mikal Bridges level prospect. Seems like it's been eons since we've had a proper wing prospect. [Doumbaya is a big].

Unfortunately, ownsership and Arn Tellem look to be meddling and getting in the way of trading the pieces we don't need for whatever we can get. Rose, Drummond, etc.. Even if it's just low firsts, multiple seconds, or salary relief, we have no real reason to hold onto them.

I could care less about how buddy-buddy Drummond and Rose are with the aforemention power brokers for the Pistons [Gores, Tellem, amongst others.]

Before the season started Gores' thought we had a playoff level core; I'm paraphrasing here, but something along the lines of "We have a good team, I really like our team, etc."
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#7 » by TheCage4 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 12:37 pm

I don’t follow either team closely, but having Booker and Kennard seems redundant.

It’s these types of trades that keep mediocre teams mediocre.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Bologna Smasher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,182

Post#8 » by Bologna Smasher » Tue Feb 4, 2020 5:04 pm

The Pistons don't need to be trading him for a package like that. Only worth considering if the pick is the 2020 pick and it remains in the lottery.

Return to Wiretap Discussion