Suns Receiving Trade Calls On Kelly Oubre

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Suns Receiving Trade Calls On Kelly Oubre 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Feb 5, 2020 9:41 pm

The Phoenix Suns are receiving trade calls on Kelly Oubre. 

Oubre re-signed with the Suns on a two-year, $30 million deal as a restricted free agent in 2019.

The Suns acquired Oubre from the Washington Wizards during the 18-19 season.

Via Marc Stein/New York Times

KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,825

Re: Suns Receiving Trade Calls On Kelly Oubre 

Post#2 » by KGdaBom » Wed Feb 5, 2020 10:54 pm

Unless it's a huge offer the Suns would be idiots to let Oubre go.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#3 » by BigTex » Wed Feb 5, 2020 11:25 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Unless it's a huge offer the Suns would be idiots to let Oubre go.

Why? They're not going to contend this year or next. He'll walk for nothing. I think if they could get a low first round or high second round draft pick and an expiring contract for him, they would be that much further down the road on a rebuild. They might be able to squeeze a young player out of somebody, but it'll have to be in addition to an expiring contract to match salaries. And I doubt many folks would part with a good young player for Oubre. Maybe a young back up on a good team. But that's a lot to pay for a year and a half rental.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#4 » by KGdaBom » Thu Feb 6, 2020 12:46 am

BigTex wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Unless it's a huge offer the Suns would be idiots to let Oubre go.

Why? They're not going to contend this year or next. He'll walk for nothing. I think if they could get a low first round or high second round draft pick and an expiring contract for him, they would be that much further down the road on a rebuild. They might be able to squeeze a young player out of somebody, but it'll have to be in addition to an expiring contract to match salaries. And I doubt many folks would part with a good young player for Oubre. Maybe a young back up on a good team. But that's a lot to pay for a year and a half rental.

Oubre would be a fool to walk for nothing. The Suns are going to be good and probably sooner than later. 9 times out of 10 low first round picks are virtually worthless. You really think the Suns should let a really nice emerging player go for a low first high second round pick? I guess we disagree.
BigTex
Senior

Post#5 » by BigTex » Thu Feb 6, 2020 1:46 am

Phoenix has a long histsory of not fielding contending teams. I don't know why Oubre would stay unless Phoenix money whips him. Oubre probably wasn't even born the last time Phoenix was relevant. He was three years old when Steve Nash left Phoenix. He was 8 years old the last time Phoenix won a second round play off game. I guess you have to say they're improving this year, since they finished ahead of exactly one team in the past four years in the west. But being 12th isn't a whole lot different from being 15th. I just don't see it as a very attractive location for a good young player.
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 718

Post#6 » by DCRYsing89 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 3:04 am

KGdaBom wrote:
BigTex wrote:

Oubre would be a fool to walk for nothing. The Suns are going to be good and probably sooner than later. 9 times out of 10 low first round picks are virtually worthless. You really think the Suns should let a really nice emerging player go for a low first high second round pick? I guess we disagree.

I am with you here,
Oubre will end up at worst is a Elite 3&D wing, and at best a borderline AllStar.
Plus he is still young, and already producing...

He may not be worth a stud blue chip young player.
But a young player or two that are solid but unproven, plus a FRP and salary filler, is where I personally see his value sitting currently...
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#7 » by KGdaBom » Thu Feb 6, 2020 3:17 am

BigTex wrote:Phoenix has a long histsory of not fielding contending teams. I don't know why Oubre would stay unless Phoenix money whips him. Oubre probably wasn't even born the last time Phoenix was relevant. He was three years old when Steve Nash left Phoenix. He was 8 years old the last time Phoenix won a second round play off game. I guess you have to say they're improving this year, since they finished ahead of exactly one team in the past four years in the west. But being 12th isn't a whole lot different from being 15th. I just don't see it as a very attractive location for a good young player.

You act like a contending team is all that matters. I don't expect the Suns to contend for the title for a while, but Booker, Ayton and Oubre can get you to the playoffs. If the Suns dump players like him for a late first early second because they're worried he might leave FA they will never become a contender.
BigTex
Senior

Post#8 » by BigTex » Thu Feb 6, 2020 4:11 am

KGdaBom wrote:
BigTex wrote:Phoenix has a long histsory of not fielding contending teams. I don't know why Oubre would stay unless Phoenix money whips him. Oubre probably wasn't even born the last time Phoenix was relevant. He was three years old when Steve Nash left Phoenix. He was 8 years old the last time Phoenix won a second round play off game. I guess you have to say they're improving this year, since they finished ahead of exactly one team in the past four years in the west. But being 12th isn't a whole lot different from being 15th. I just don't see it as a very attractive location for a good young player.

You act like a contending team is all that matters. I don't expect the Suns to contend for the title for a while, but Booker, Ayton and Oubre can get you to the playoffs. If the Suns dump players like him for a late first early second because they're worried he might leave FA they will never become a contender.

Well, if they can become a contender by the end of next year, maybe he stays. But if you look at the teams in the standings above Phoenix, the only team I see getting worse next year is Houston, maybe OKC. And I doubt Houston falls out of the playoffs. Dallas will be better. Memphis will be better. Portland will be healthier. New Orleans will be a good bit better. And Golden State will be much better when they get their real players healtier. Spurs may tread water, or may bet a bit worse, but you never count them out. So maybe Phoenix can move up to 11th from 12th? Just doesn't seem like much to keep a young guy around who will have lots of offers from better teams in more attractive cities. And Oubre's trade value declines every day because he's that much closer to free agency.

I could see somebody giving a mid-first if it was lottery proctected plus a young guy, though not a stud.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#9 » by KGdaBom » Thu Feb 6, 2020 7:15 am

BigTex wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

Well, if they can become a contender by the end of next year, maybe he stays. But if you look at the teams in the standings above Phoenix, the only team I see getting worse next year is Houston, maybe OKC. And I doubt Houston falls out of the playoffs. Dallas will be better. Memphis will be better. Portland will be healthier. New Orleans will be a good bit better. And Golden State will be much better when they get their real players healtier. Spurs may tread water, or may bet a bit worse, but you never count them out. So maybe Phoenix can move up to 11th from 12th? Just doesn't seem like much to keep a young guy around who will have lots of offers from better teams in more attractive cities. And Oubre's trade value declines every day because he's that much closer to free agency.

I could see somebody giving a mid-first if it was lottery proctected plus a young guy, though not a stud.

Whatever you want to think. Your talking about giving up a stud for pure crap. Not worth it. My Wolves just traded a much older Covington for a mid first and a late first then flipped that late first for a good prospect in Beasley. I sure wouldn't let Oubre go for less than that. Play it that way and take that risk.

Return to Wiretap Discussion