Warriors Trade D'Angelo Russell To Wolves For Andrew Wiggins, 2021 Unprotected FRP

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Warriors Trade D'Angelo Russell To Wolves For Andrew Wiggins, 2021 Unprotected FRP 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Feb 6, 2020 6:09 pm

The Golden State Warriors have agreed to trade D'Angelo Russell to the Minnesota Timberwolves for Andrew Wiggins, a 2021 unprotected first round pick and a 2022 second round pick.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Re: Warriors Trade D'Angelo Russell To Wolves For Andrew Wiggins, 2021 Unprotected FRP 

Post#2 » by LaRance » Thu Feb 6, 2020 6:22 pm

:o WOW!!! I like it though.. Andrew Wiggins isn't a great 1st or 2nd option but he will be a great 3rd option on the Warriors
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Re: Warriors Trade D'Angelo Russell To Wolves For Andrew Wiggins, 2021 Unprotected FRP 

Post#3 » by jlokine » Thu Feb 6, 2020 6:24 pm

wow good for wiggins. smaller role. hopefully he can find himself in that role.
pdpkong
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#4 » by pdpkong » Thu Feb 6, 2020 6:28 pm

jlokine wrote:wow good for wiggins. smaller role. hopefully he can find himself in that role

How quickly people forget... he HAD a smaller role when Jimmy Butler was there and he was still awful.
Buckeye-NBAFan
General Manager
And1: 4,537

Post#5 » by Buckeye-NBAFan » Thu Feb 6, 2020 6:30 pm

LaRance wrote::o WOW!!! I like it though.. Andrew Wiggins isn't a great 1st or 2nd option but he will be a great 3rd option on the Warriors

You misunderstand, he was traded to the Golden State Warriors, not the Santa Cruz Warriors. But yes, he would make a great 3rd option in Santa Cruz.
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#6 » by hyberx » Thu Feb 6, 2020 6:43 pm

Don't get why Bob Myer pulled this off, he could have waited till the offseason. It really depends on how the 2021 pick turn out to be. Contract wise Wiggins is just as big a burden for us as DLo, but at least he fills a need at the SF spot and he can score. It looks like we are getting our old Harrison Barnes back with a bit less D and bit more O.
dickfox
Senior
And1: 522

Post#7 » by dickfox » Thu Feb 6, 2020 6:48 pm

People are hating this for GS but wiggins made a big jump this year with more shooting and driving. Improved his passing. I think he is going to play well in the warrior's system. Way less pressure to be the go-to guy when the trio is healthy.

I like.
We Are Groot
Sophomore
And1: 29

Post#8 » by We Are Groot » Thu Feb 6, 2020 6:54 pm

hyberx wrote:Don't get why Bob Myer pulled this off, he could have waited till the offseason. It really depends on how the 2021 pick turn out to be. Contract wise Wiggins is just as big a burden for us as DLo, but at least he fills a need at the SF spot and he can score. It looks like we are getting our old Harrison Barnes back with a bit less D and bit more O.

i don't think any waiting is necessary to know that their defense (severely underrated during their chip runs) wld fall off a cliff with D'Lo. the play was always going to be to trade D'Lo @ some pt.Wiggins is actually a nice fit with their core and there's still some untapped potential there imho. the 'only' top 3 protected '21 pick was probably the main impetus for GS to get a deal done.

if they did take a hard pass here - what else do u see out there that packages a rotation level player AND a potentially high 21 FRP? KAT's pretty grumpy right now, so i think there was urgency for the Wolves to get sumn done now. no guarantee this package wld be available in the summer
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#9 » by nedleeds » Thu Feb 6, 2020 6:55 pm

THANK YOU BASED JESUS! I was terrified the Knicks would give up their pick for this chucker.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#10 » by DJ_3_Ball » Thu Feb 6, 2020 6:59 pm

Why did this take so long? Everyone kept reporting the Wolves were obsessed with DLo and made it seem like the Warriors just wouldn't be reasonable. I heard someone say the Wolves offered two 1st round picks and the Warriors wouldn't do it unless they had Minny's 1st this year unprotected thrown in too.

And now it comes out that they essentially gave DLo away. I mean, congrats to Minnesota. They won that game of hardball. I just don't understand why they didn't make this move earlier in the season when they still had a shot at the playoffs.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#11 » by Pickled Prunes » Thu Feb 6, 2020 7:03 pm

dickfox wrote:People are hating this for GS but wiggins made a big jump this year with more shooting and driving. Improved his passing. I think he is going to play well in the warrior's system. Way less pressure to be the go-to guy when the trio is healthy.

I like.

It's not a perfect fit, but a better fit than Russell. He will never be more than the 2nd most dangerous player on the floor (once GSW are healthy). As his numbers look better alongside two all-stars he will be moveable again. I think Russell will do well alongside Towns as well. Both teams win.
CptCanada
Pro Prospect
And1: 911

Post#12 » by CptCanada » Thu Feb 6, 2020 7:47 pm

I absolutely love this for Wiggins. I hope that he thrives as an NBA player. I feel like this is a culture/system that he can truly thrive in. I really want him to prove all of his doubters wrong.
circa70
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#13 » by circa70 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 7:49 pm

Didn't warrior fans say they're getting either Giannis, KAT, Harden, or Simmons for D-Lo? :noway: :crazy:
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#14 » by Killboard » Thu Feb 6, 2020 8:15 pm

Warriors should have taken Covington for next season tough.
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#15 » by arasu » Thu Feb 6, 2020 8:30 pm

Both of these guys are near stat highs for the year. Wiggins has been coming down fast, and it looks like it would get worse. Russell was likely to continue to put up numbers, but if Curry were to come back, his numbers probably would have taken a dip. With those numbers, both being healthy, and with Russell still fresh off of last year's all-star appearance, their trade value has never been higher. It was the right time to pull this off. It looks like a win-win.

Wiggins has made huge strides this season as the initiator of offense. By expanding this aspect of his game, he has shown that he could be a great compliment to screen users like the Splash Brothers. He has also shown in the past that he can be a great cutter and decent off-ball shooter. His length and sometimes very good defense should be a perfect fit for the Warriors' needs. He's no KD, but he is a perfect fit for this team, and scoring that extra first round pick was an added bonus. This is a definite win for the Warriors.

The Wolves finally got Russell, after all these months. Considering how hard it seems like they worked to make this happen, it's a big win for them. Is he worth it? We'll see. A Russell-Culver backcourt could turn into an elite tandem down the line. The T-Wolves cleared some of their defensive players to get here, and now have huge holes at forward. They will probably try to fill one of those in this up-coming draft, maybe with a stretch 4 like Toppin, a shooter like McDaniels, or a long athletic guy like Achiuwa. They are all in on the Russell-KAT combo, so it's time for those two to step up.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#16 » by Killboard » Thu Feb 6, 2020 8:42 pm

DJ_3_Ball wrote:Why did this take so long? Everyone kept reporting the Wolves were obsessed with DLo and made it seem like the Warriors just wouldn't be reasonable. I heard someone say the Wolves offered two 1st round picks and the Warriors wouldn't do it unless they had Minny's 1st this year unprotected thrown in too.

And now it comes out that they essentially gave DLo away. I mean, congrats to Minnesota. They won that game of hardball. I just don't understand why they didn't make this move earlier in the season when they still had a shot at the playoffs.

The wolves didn't want to part with picks IMO. Now they did but acquired an extra one in Covington deal. I think they didn't want to trade Roco just for picks and were intrigued by Beasley.

Basically is
Wiggins+Roco+2021 Top3 protected first
Beasley+Dlo+2020 Top14 protected fist (nets)
DJ_3_Ball
Sixth Man
And1: 540

Post#17 » by DJ_3_Ball » Thu Feb 6, 2020 8:56 pm

Killboard wrote:
DJ_3_Ball wrote:Why did this take so long? Everyone kept reporting the Wolves were obsessed with DLo and made it seem like the Warriors just wouldn't be reasonable. I heard someone say the Wolves offered two 1st round picks and the Warriors wouldn't do it unless they had Minny's 1st this year unprotected thrown in too.

The wolves didn't want to part with picks IMO. Now they did but acquired an extra one in Covington deal. I think they didn't want to trade Roco just for picks and were intrigued by Beasley.

Basically is
Wiggins+Roco+2021 Top3 protected first
Beasley+Dlo+2020 Top14 protected fist (nets)

Yeah but that's not what was reported. I remember Zach Lowe saying he heard people around the league saying Minny was lusting after DeAngelo Russell like he was Michael Jordan. I think I remember him saying the Wolves offered GSW three 1st round picks & Golden State said no. It was definitely multiple 1st rounders.

I was absolutely SHOCKED at how little the Warriors got from Minnesota. That's not the package of a team that's lusting over a player. That's the package of a team who says "Meh, yeah ok I guess so". Very underwhelming return for GSW.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#18 » by TheCage4 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 9:01 pm

KAT gets his buddy in Russ, and the Warriors avoid the repeater tax with a not-so-bad wing in Wiggins who can flourish in Kerr’s system.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#19 » by hyberx » Thu Feb 6, 2020 9:04 pm

We Are Groot wrote:
hyberx wrote:Don't get why Bob Myer pulled this off, he could have waited till the offseason. It really depends on how the 2021 pick turn out to be. Contract wise Wiggins is just as big a burden for us as DLo, but at least he fills a need at the SF spot and he can score. It looks like we are getting our old Harrison Barnes back with a bit less D and bit more O.

i don't think any waiting is necessary to know that their defense (severely underrated during their chip runs) wld fall off a cliff with D'Lo. the play was always going to be to trade D'Lo @ some pt.Wiggins is actually a nice fit with their core and there's still some untapped potential there imho. the 'only' top 3 protected '21 pick was probably the main impetus for GS to get a deal done.

if they did take a hard pass here - what else do u see out there that packages a rotation level player AND a potentially high 21 FRP? KAT's pretty grumpy right now, so i think there was urgency for the Wolves to get sumn done now. no guarantee this package wld be available in the summer

I was hoping for Robert Covington, who went to Houston, plus picks. RoCo is like a young Iggudala and has a more favorable contract. But I guess the thinking there is RoCo will ask for a big contract and we need a 3rd reliable scoring option anyway. All of those picks can help us fill out rest of the roster instead of having bunch of rookies/G Leaguer/min contracts like this year.
deepeeenn
Senior
And1: 522

Post#20 » by deepeeenn » Thu Feb 6, 2020 9:55 pm

CARRRRYYYY!
Being a Blazer fan isn't exactly healthy.

Return to Wiretap Discussion