Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 67,861
And1: 180
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Feb 9, 2020 9:43 pm

Dion Waiters and the Memphis Grizzlies have agreed to a buyout.


Waiters will receive his full pay for the remainder of the current season and $12.6 million in 20-21.


Waiters appeared in three games for the Miami Heat this season before his trade to the Grizzlies at the deadline.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

Scoonie
Pro Prospect
Posts: 835
And1: 779
Joined: Aug 28, 2004
Location: New Hampshire
 

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#2 » by Scoonie » Sun Feb 9, 2020 9:58 pm

Does this mean that his time in the NBA is done?
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Ammar19
Ballboy
Posts: 3
And1: 0
Joined: Sep 21, 2019
         

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#3 » by Ammar19 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:20 pm

Loool.....so they bought out Waiters but wouldn’t buy out Iggy...

Igoudala - 11.3 million/1 year left
Waiters - 12.1 million/2 years left (second year was 12.6 million)

They didn’t care about the money it cost to release igoudala, they were just petty. I guess they got Winslow for him.. but still lol.
dan-man
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,413
And1: 232
Joined: Mar 15, 2017
     

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#4 » by dan-man » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:25 pm

Shocker...
dan-man
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,413
And1: 232
Joined: Mar 15, 2017
     

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#5 » by dan-man » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:26 pm

Ammar19 wrote:Loool.....so they bought out Waiters but wouldn’t buy out Iggy...

Igoudala - 11.3 million/1 year left
Waiters - 12.1 million/2 years left (second year was 12.6 million)

They didn’t care about the money it cost to release igoudala, they were just petty. I guess they got Winslow for him.. but still lol.


Not sure how you are using logic to compare the two scenarios. Iggy was a desirable asset while Waiters is a locker room destroyer and everyone knows this. When he and his agent realize there's no market for his services, he'll pack his bags for Turkey, since China is shut down due to the virus.
dan-man
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,413
And1: 232
Joined: Mar 15, 2017
     

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#6 » by dan-man » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:30 pm

Scoonie wrote:Does this mean that his time in the NBA is done?


My guess would be yes. But maybe he was only done at this pay range, therefore untradable but perhaps he will get picked up on a vet minimum deal on a short leash.
User avatar
klemen4
Head Coach
Posts: 7,155
And1: 1,714
Joined: Feb 27, 2005

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#7 » by klemen4 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 10:52 pm

Wait..do not understand this...he will get all his money for next season??? Can not be right???
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 6,979
And1: 169
Joined: Aug 22, 2001
Location: NY
         

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#8 » by TheCage4 » Sun Feb 9, 2020 11:11 pm

klemen4 wrote:Wait..do not understand this...he will get all his money for next season??? Can not be right???


I too am a bit perplexed. It’s standard practice that in a buyout, a player receives a portion of their remaining contract, not the whole thing.

If Waiters is receiving his full salary I’d say he was outright released.
Elnegron
Junior
Posts: 379
And1: 51
Joined: May 20, 2017
         

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#9 » by Elnegron » Sun Feb 9, 2020 11:46 pm

It was more like a wave than buyout. A buyout the team recoup some money. I could see desperate 76ers looking for bench depth. Imagine waiters hacking up the offense lol
arasu
Pro Prospect
Posts: 855
And1: 105
Joined: Dec 08, 2012

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#10 » by arasu » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:56 am

dan-man wrote:
Ammar19 wrote:Loool.....so they bought out Waiters but wouldn’t buy out Iggy...

Igoudala - 11.3 million/1 year left
Waiters - 12.1 million/2 years left (second year was 12.6 million)

They didn’t care about the money it cost to release igoudala, they were just petty. I guess they got Winslow for him.. but still lol.


Not sure how you are using logic to compare the two scenarios. Iggy was a desirable asset while Waiters is a locker room destroyer and everyone knows this. When he and his agent realize there's no market for his services, he'll pack his bags for Turkey, since China is shut down due to the virus.

Exactly. If Iguodala was bought out and went to another western conference team, it would look really bad if the Grizzlies had to face him in the playoffs. If Waiters goes to another team in the conference, the Grizzlies will be laughing it up.
dan-man
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,413
And1: 232
Joined: Mar 15, 2017
     

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#11 » by dan-man » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:27 am

TheCage4 wrote:
klemen4 wrote:Wait..do not understand this...he will get all his money for next season??? Can not be right???


I too am a bit perplexed. It’s standard practice that in a buyout, a player receives a portion of their remaining contract, not the whole thing.

If Waiters is receiving his full salary I’d say he was outright released.


True, that a buy-out would typically entail some form of cost savings on the team side. Given the dicey reporting from Real GM and Waiters knowing he could be done in the NBA, I'd assume he was waved... which is essentially a $0 buy-out. Whatever...
Pickled Prunes
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,372
And1: 613
Joined: Sep 14, 2010

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#12 » by Pickled Prunes » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:47 am

dan-man wrote:
TheCage4 wrote:
klemen4 wrote:Wait..do not understand this...he will get all his money for next season??? Can not be right???


I too am a bit perplexed. It’s standard practice that in a buyout, a player receives a portion of their remaining contract, not the whole thing.

If Waiters is receiving his full salary I’d say he was outright released.


True, that a buy-out would typically entail some form of cost savings on the team side. Given the dicey reporting from Real GM and Waiters knowing he could be done in the NBA, I'd assume he was waved... which is essentially a $0 buy-out. Whatever...

I believe he had incentives in his contract (including a minimum number of games played) which were likely removed in the buyout. MEM doesn't want to pay him extra if he plays 76 games for CHA next season. (Unfortunately a distinct possibility.)
dan-man
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,413
And1: 232
Joined: Mar 15, 2017
     

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#13 » by dan-man » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:31 am

Its just so gross, that a bum like Waiters is about to walk away with 24 mil in cheese, free.
TimRobbins
General Manager
Posts: 7,859
And1: 2,043
Joined: Nov 15, 2014

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#14 » by TimRobbins » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:23 pm

dan-man wrote:Its just so gross, that a bum like Waiters is about to walk away with 24 mil in cheese, free.


Nobody forced that contract on the Heat. Willing buyer and seller, and whichever way you look at it, the money will be doing a lot more good to the economy with Waiters spending it rather than sitting in Arison's bank account.
DoctorDunc
Ballboy
Posts: 18
And1: 2
Joined: Nov 07, 2019

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#15 » by DoctorDunc » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:46 pm

Contracts are contracts and you can’t blame a player with a 6-12 year earnings window for getting what he can. That said, there are all sorts of players who get bought out or won’t play for their team or take “rest days”. That is payroll going to people not on the court. You know who is paying for that? You and I are when be buy tickets to games or pay our cable TV bill.
zettapixel
Ballboy
Posts: 5
And1: 2
Joined: Jan 17, 2018
 

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#16 » by zettapixel » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:23 pm

TimRobbins wrote:
dan-man wrote:Its just so gross, that a bum like Waiters is about to walk away with 24 mil in cheese, free.

Nobody forced that contract on the Heat. Willing buyer and seller, and whichever way you look at it, the money will be doing a lot more good to the economy with Waiters spending it rather than sitting in Arison's bank account.

Ha! Arison can spend t as well as Waiters.
Is a concept of "doing your job well" still alive? Maybe those players should be given contract. If I did my job as well as Waiter did his my bum were on the street in a snap! He's an f-ing lying sob for signing a contract to actually play for the team and crapping on everybody.
dan-man
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,413
And1: 232
Joined: Mar 15, 2017
     

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#17 » by dan-man » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:27 pm

zettapixel wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:
dan-man wrote:Its just so gross, that a bum like Waiters is about to walk away with 24 mil in cheese, free.

Nobody forced that contract on the Heat. Willing buyer and seller, and whichever way you look at it, the money will be doing a lot more good to the economy with Waiters spending it rather than sitting in Arison's bank account.

Ha! Arison can spend t as well as Waiters.
Is a concept of "doing your job well" still alive? Maybe those players should be given contract. If I did my job as well as Waiter did his my bum were on the street in a snap! He's an f-ing lying sob for signing a contract to actually play for the team and crapping on everybody.


My reasonable compromise to this "Brandon Roy" loophole in the CBA, is that players can be released at any point in time, and receive 50% of their contract. 100% is quite extreme. 50 is plenty...Furthermore, this would virtually eliminate stand offs like we saw with Iggudolla and keep the free-agent market more liquid. Win/Win in the long run, overall.
User avatar
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Posts: 23,647
And1: 1,880
Joined: Mar 05, 2002
   

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#18 » by SD2042 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:31 pm

TimRobbins wrote:
dan-man wrote:Its just so gross, that a bum like Waiters is about to walk away with 24 mil in cheese, free.


Nobody forced that contract on the Heat. Willing buyer and seller, and whichever way you look at it, the money will be doing a lot more good to the economy with Waiters spending it rather than sitting in Arison's bank account.



Essentially, the Heat paid the Grizzlies to clean up their tax mess by sending Winslow and buyout Waiters. Which is the right thing to do given the Grizzlies current roster.
User avatar
deeps6x
General Manager
Posts: 7,827
And1: 4,913
Joined: Nov 28, 2008
     

Re: Dion Waiters, Grizzlies Agree To Buyout 

Post#19 » by deeps6x » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:18 pm

It feels like the Grizzlies paid way too much for Winslow. Like Miami should have eaten Waiter's second year.
Sent from my iPhone13 using Frappatappatalk 2.0 beta (who gives a duck?!?)

Return to Wiretap Discussion