Leon Rose Expected To Consider Tom Thibodeau, Jeff Van Gundy For Knicks' Coach

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Leon Rose Expected To Consider Tom Thibodeau, Jeff Van Gundy For Knicks' Coach 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:28 am

Tom Thibodeau and Jeff Van Gundy are two head coaching candidates Leon Rose is expected to consider hire when he becomes president of the New York Knicks.

Thibodeau and Van Gundy have not been candidates during the Knicks' most recent coaching searches. James Dolan is believed to hold a grudge against Van Gundy following the way he quit during the 01-02 season.

Thibodeau is a CAA client and has worked with Rose. 

Van Gundy and Rose are believed to be a mutual admiration. 

“If Leon ever hired Jeff, the fans would love him,’’ one insider said.

Via Marc Berman/New York Post

Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,037

Re: Leon Rose Expected To Consider Tom Thibodeau, Jeff Van Gundy For Knicks' Coach 

Post#2 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:45 am

Jeff is a better choice. **** assistant coaches are fine if they know the game like Thibbs, but you need a leader and a good decision maker to be the head coach.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Re: Leon Rose Expected To Consider Tom Thibodeau, Jeff Van Gundy For Knicks' Coach 

Post#3 » by The_Hater » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:07 am

Ahh yes, old school coaches for an NBA that is played much differently now instead of forward thinking, cutting edge coaches like Stevens and Nurse.

Very Knick-like choices.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
HoopAndTheHarm
Pro Prospect
And1: 586

Post#4 » by HoopAndTheHarm » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:36 am

Both these guys, especially Thibs, have shown they have max 3 year shelf lives before the players tune them out. Both are out of touch with the current game. JVG hasn't been an active coach in years. Thibs is the basketball version of hockey's Mike Keenan - a taskmaster and yeller whose rhetoric gets old quick.
I've got a belt on that's holding up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up my belt. I don't know what's really happening down there. Who is the real hero? - Mitch Hedberg
Knicks7Tape
Pro Prospect
And1: 902

Post#5 » by Knicks7Tape » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:44 am

**** off with Thibs
PMONSTER
Head Coach
And1: 1,301

Post#6 » by PMONSTER » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:53 am

Thibs is a no for the Knicks ONLY because he's a win now coach. The Knicks are far away from that. BTW the Bulls or Timberwolves haven't been all that great after Thibs.
NBA Playoffs.... I can never wait!
bockingknickers
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#7 » by bockingknickers » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:27 pm

I kind of like current interim coach Mike Miller. The schedule has been softer lately which helps the optics of his record. Looking passed that I see a more consistent rotation, decent play calling out of time outs, players listening and his overly passionate reactions to fouls. Dude always has his players backs.

Don’t really know much about his coaching pedigree but depending on the year plays out I would consider keeping him.

Seems as though he can improve on late game off/def subbing and clock management. Also if you’re reading this for godsake stop letting randle bring up the ball.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#8 » by mplsfonz23 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:34 pm

PMONSTER wrote:Thibs is a no for the Knicks ONLY because he's a win now coach. The Knicks are far away from that. BTW the Bulls or Timberwolves haven't been all that great after Thibs.

That's because of Thibs.
You are right, he's a win now coach. He completely destroyed our team. Traded away assets for "His" players. Made us into the Minnesota TimberBulls. Butler, Rose, Gibson, Deng etc. Then divided the locker room by giving Butler free passes to act like a bully. Holding someone accountable is one thing, but publically calling your teammates "Soft" is another. Jimmy is all about Jimmy.
I will not miss the constant BARKING on the sideline the WHOLE game. Maybe Knicks fans like that, but that doesn't work for the new age players. GL with that.
NYKat
RealGM
And1: 4,385

Post#9 » by NYKat » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:46 pm

In fact, sources say Rose is connected with JVG, Mark Jackson, John Calipari, and Tom Thibodeau...

All of which I’m not very excited about.

Outside of the Win/Loss record I like what Miller’s doing and the teams improvement is quite observable, if you know what to look for.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#10 » by TheCage4 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:25 pm

We all know that no matter who is doing the hiring, the wrong choice most likely will be made. I don't really see any fits will the current list of candidates, especially in today's NBA and the state of where the Knicks are at.

Fingers crossed that they finally find a guy that stays more than a few minutes.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Temuhjan
Sixth Man
And1: 321

Post#11 » by Temuhjan » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:46 pm

Mark Jackson is a good developmental coach. My vote goes to him
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,819

Post#12 » by CoachD » Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:32 pm

If I was Rose, I'd make a run at Adrian Griffin - the top assistant to Nick Nurse
circa70
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#13 » by circa70 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:13 pm

Gross
pjiggz
Junior
And1: 25

Post#14 » by pjiggz » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:26 pm

If you were a Knicks fan in the 90's, you'd understand the significance of JVG. Would love to have him back and finish what he started.
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 7,987

Post#15 » by ontnut » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:52 pm

Oh PLEASE let the Knicks hire Thibs. PLEASE!
The Lamma
Veteran
And1: 5,142

Post#16 » by The Lamma » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:37 am

bockingknickers wrote:I kind of like current interim coach Mike Miller. The schedule has been softer lately which helps the optics of his record. Looking passed that I see a more consistent rotation, decent play calling out of time outs, players listening and his overly passionate reactions to fouls. Dude always has his players backs.

Don’t really know much about his coaching pedigree but depending on the year plays out I would consider keeping him.

Seems as though he can improve on late game off/def subbing and clock management. Also if you’re reading this for godsake stop letting randle bring up the ball.

I'm with this. The true Knicks fans that are watching every game are seeing cohesion that we had been lacking for a lonnng time. There is structure and continuity. And lo and behold, some winning. Overall just a way better brand of basketball. I get that some Knicks fans want to tank, it's just a difference in approach whether you want them to tank for a probable superior pick, or win now. But there can be no doubt that Miller has the team playing together, and more competitively, and with more consistent rotations. Sign and keep Mike Miller is my vote too.
DoctorDunc
Junior
And1: 45

Post#17 » by DoctorDunc » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:18 am

I doubt you will see JVG as long as the Knicks keep doing stupid things like hiring a brand guru who shoots his mouth off. Unbelievable, what a waste of time, energy and money.

Return to Wiretap Discussion