alienpick wrote:I like Kobe, and on it's own this honour seems justified, but they seem to be REALLY going over board on the Kobe worship lately. Everything is being remade in “Kobe’s honour”. I’m not so sure Kobe would approve or appreciate it all.
The NBA named the All-Star Game MVP trophy after Kobe Bryant because:
* He was the youngest All-Star Game participant in NBA history at 19 years old;
* He is second in All-Star Game appearances with 18 (Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is first with 19);
* He is first with the most consecutive All-Star Game appearances (18);
* He is second in most All-Star Game starts (15); LeBron James will start for the 16th time today;
* He is first in steals, second in points, second in field goals, tied for fifth in 3-pointers and ninth in assists;
* He is tied with Bob Pettit for the most All-Star Game MVP trophies (four).
I can understand if the NBA named this award after a mediocre participant such as Draymond Green. But the NBA is naming the award after one of its greatest players who also was one of its greatest All-Star Game participants.
Also, the NBA didn’t change the name of the award; the NBA gave it an official name when it did not have one previously.
I am sure you did not take all of that into consideration when you tried to make this attempt at a hot take.