John Beilein, Cavaliers Agree To Part Ways

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

John Beilein, Cavaliers Agree To Part Ways 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:51 am

John Beilein is stepping down as head coach of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Beilein and the Cavaliers negotiated a settlement that will pay him a portion of the remaining money on his 19-20 deal. Beilein left Michigan to become head coach of the Cavaliers on a five-year deal.

The Cavaliers are 14-40 and last in the Eastern Conference.

Beilein struggled in the job both on the court and in the locker room.

Both management and Beilein wanted to dissolve the partnership.

The Cavaliers will promote J.B. Bickerstaff to interim head coach. Bickerstaff was initially hired as part of an eventual succession plan with Beilein. 

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Pickled Prunes
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Re: John Beilein, Cavaliers Agree To Part Ways 

Post#2 » by Pickled Prunes » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:05 am

Man, I would have held out for the next 4 years if need be. Just keep showing up for work and going through the motions. I don't know how they got out of paying him for the next four years.
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,664

Post#3 » by nedleeds » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:39 am

JB always has that knife ready. This his 3rd time? Larry Drew wanted to quit last year. Maybe the clanging of all those bricks drives a coach crazy.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,813

Post#4 » by kulaz3000 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:40 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:Man, I would have held out for the next 4 years if need be. Just keep showing up for work and going through the motions. I don't know how they got out of paying him for the next four years.

The old geezer is clearly unhappy, and he is probably set for life for himself, his children already anyway. At some point in your life, having more money in addition to all that money you already have whilst being unhappy isn't worth it. It's not the same as a young NBA player, where their careers are so short lived.

I commend him for this decision.
Why so serious?
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 112

Post#5 » by njknicks » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:06 am

Wish Coach Beilein all the very best - while he is a revered college coach, was really surprised that the Cavs gave him such a long term deal in the first place given the franchise's current long-term unpredictability.

Hopefully all works out for all parties involved to make Cavs competitive again.

Ironically JB Bickerstaff strikes again :

* Houston Rockets - Kevin McHale released ( JB interim head coach )
* Memphis Grizzlies - David Fizdale released ( JB interim head coach )
* Cleaveland Cavs - John Beilein released ( JB interim head coach )
SixStringAxis
Sophomore
And1: 40

Post#6 » by SixStringAxis » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:33 am

Pickled Prunes wrote:Man, I would have held out for the next 4 years if need be. Just keep showing up for work and going through the motions. I don't know how they got out of paying him for the next four years.

Edit read it wrong
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,230

Post#7 » by Calinks » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:52 am

Another collage coach getting destroyed in the NBA. Seems to rarely translate.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
bqmuzik
Junior
And1: 62

Post#8 » by bqmuzik » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:22 pm

njknicks wrote:Wish Coach Beilein all the very best - while he is a revered college coach, was really surprised that the Cavs gave him such a long term deal in the first place given the franchise's current long-term unpredictability.

Hopefully all works out for all parties involved to make Cavs competitive again.

Ironically JB Bickerstaff strikes again :

* Houston Rockets - Kevin McHale released ( JB interim head coach )
* Memphis Grizzlies - David Fizdale released ( JB interim head coach )
* Cleaveland Cavs - John Beilein released ( JB interim head coach )

Didn't he interim coach in Charlotte too?
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#9 » by pickIBL » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:16 pm

Calinks wrote:Another collage coach getting destroyed in the NBA. Seems to rarely translate.

Guessing "collage" wasn't your cup of tea.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#10 » by Stillwater » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:38 pm

Hilarious people think the Cavs approached Beilein when it was the opposite regarding his departure. He had double bypass less than 2 years ago, the development of the roster is going to require years of losing and the guy decided his family and sanity were more important than helping the Cavs get high draft picks.
BTW bickerstaff getting the full time gig is also a tank move
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,954

Post#11 » by 31to6 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:09 pm

we’ll always have the “slugs” thing tho
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
strokerace
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,168

Post#12 » by strokerace » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:04 pm

Leave it to Gilbert to squeeze the money back out of him and get away without paying him more.
xJumpManx
Junior
And1: 23

Post#13 » by xJumpManx » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:08 pm

strokerace wrote:Leave it to Gilbert to squeeze the money back out of him and get away without paying him more.

Why exactly should he pay him another cent. He quit on the team. Seems Beilein lacks integrity to me.
oikosnomos
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,934

Post#14 » by oikosnomos » Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:30 pm

strokerace wrote:Leave it to Gilbert to squeeze the money back out of him and get away without paying him more.

He stepped down. Why should he be paid for quitting? Sounds like you just don’t like Gilbert, because this comment lacks reason.
BigGargamel
Veteran
And1: 5,904

Post#15 » by BigGargamel » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:14 pm

Probably shouldn’t have called your players thugs. This isn’t college.
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,120

Post#16 » by Plutonashfan » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:34 pm

oikosnomos wrote:

He stepped down. Why should he be paid for quitting? Sounds like you just don’t like Gilbert, because this comment lacks reason.

Thank you!
The Champ is HERE!!!
TheSpruceLuce
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#17 » by TheSpruceLuce » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:49 pm

BigGargamel wrote:Probably shouldn’t have called your players thugs. This isn’t college.

Yeah, slip of the tongue excuse is bs. He wasn't ready for the leverage difference, fell back on being able to use the influence a college coach has over a player's future. These guys are already paid and need to be led in a different way.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,048

Post#18 » by Lalouie » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:51 pm

i think maybe beilein wanted to get away so fast he didn't care about the money. beilein and gilbert are friends are they not? so maybe neither wanted to hardship the other.
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#19 » by objectivefan » Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:44 pm

a crappy team with no talent and a questionable management team

Looking back, what were his expectations?

Charlotte, New York. Chicago, Milwaukee, Sacramento and Phoenix

as for the Pelican(yes, the Pelicans)., I expect the coach to be fired after next season and for them hire a coach with championship potential
popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Post#20 » by popfan » Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:30 am

Beilein is a german surname, which isn't surprising considering the eugenic philosophy of the Ford family and the University of Michigan. Beilein's racist comments about the Cav players shouldn't come as a surprise.

Bickerstaff has made a nice career by not serving as an NBA coach. I've posted many times that several young African NBA head coaches have recently been fired, while lesser non-African head coaches remain at the helm. I refer to these firing as public lynchings (ala the KKK) to appease the eugenics fan base of the NBA and its owners. Each fired African coach has generally not returned to NBA coaching (Fizdale being a notable exception). So Bickerstaff's strategy has been to avoid being fired. You can't get fired if you aren't the head coach on opening night of the season. It's an intelligent strategy.

The problem with Bickerstaff's approach is he gets paid little compared to a dolt like Beilein. The NBA just took care of one of their german sons by giving him a nice severance package, knowing that Beilein would never succeed. So bums like Beilein get the cash while guys like Bickerstaff don't. The money stays in the family while an African fights for the scraps. This imagery would be quite pleasing to the KKK-loving fan base. Welcome to America.

What do Kerr, Beilein, Nurse and Budenholzer have in common? They are/were german head coaches in the NBA. Each replaced a previously fired African head coach. Except for Beilein, they coach real contenders though they have questionable qualifications. Seriously, does anyone believe that Kerr is responsible for the Warriors or that Nurse is responsible for the Raptors success? There's an ugly business in the NBA related to coaching, championships, and 'whiteness'. Meanwhile I can name 10 other NBA assistant coaches who were more deserving than Beilein.

Return to Wiretap Discussion