DeMarcus Cousins To Continue Rehabbing Torn ACL With Lakers

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

DeMarcus Cousins To Continue Rehabbing Torn ACL With Lakers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:25 pm

DeMarcus Cousins plans on remaining with the Los Angeles Lakers to continue rehabbing his torn ACL.

Cousins will be waived by the Lakers to create a roster spot for Markieff Morris.

Cousins suffered his torn ACL in August.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Re: DeMarcus Cousins To Continue Rehabbing Torn ACL With Lakers 

Post#2 » by Pennebaker » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:37 pm

Isnt this like the team exceeding its roster limit?
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#3 » by TheCage4 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:07 pm

Doesn’t seem like this should be allowed.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,554

Post#4 » by lonzo_pelota » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:21 pm

didnt they get a injury exception for his salary, this should be quite acceptable as its a fringe if he can return fully before seasons end.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#5 » by tigerae » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:35 pm

lonzo_pelota wrote:didnt they get a injury exception for his salary, this should be quite acceptable as its a fringe if he can return fully before seasons end.
I see no problem with it. He's injured and as long as both the player and team has no issues it should be fine. He doesn't have a contract with anyone else and the Lakers have a top of the line rehab and medical staff.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#6 » by cheese318 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:36 pm

Pennebaker wrote:Isnt this like the team exceeding its roster limit?

He’s not playing and nor on the active roster. Basically like a player on the IR at the super bowl for his perspective team
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#7 » by arasu » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:12 am

cheese318 wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:Isnt this like the team exceeding its roster limit?

He’s not playing and nor on the active roster. Basically like a player on the IR at the super bowl for his perspective team

He's not on the roster at all in any way. He's in the NBA family, and can rehab with any team that is willing. He can also sign with other teams if he likes.
arasu
Rookie

Post#8 » by arasu » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:12 am

TheCage4 wrote:Doesn’t seem like this should be allowed.
Why?
Pennebaker
Head Coach

Post#9 » by Pennebaker » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:30 am

arasu wrote:
Why?

They waive him but he's still coming to the facilities to rehab just like he was doing in previous months. It's like the waive never happened. So the Lakers pick up an additional player in Morris, they have a full 15 man roster, and they still get to keep Cousins.

I'm curious as to what the rules are about this - if it's normal for a team to keep players around that aren't under contract and if there are any limits in this situation or if they can have an unlimited number of these types of players, etc.
arasu
Rookie

Post#10 » by arasu » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:25 am

Pennebaker wrote:
arasu wrote:
Why?

They waive him but he's still coming to the facilities to rehab just like he was doing in previous months. It's like the waive never happened. So the Lakers pick up an additional player in Morris, they have a full 15 man roster, and they still get to keep Cousins.

I'm curious as to what the rules are about this - if it's normal for a team to keep players around that aren't under contract and if there are any limits in this situation or if they can have an unlimited number of these types of players, etc.

No. They are not "keeping" him. Cousins isn't on the roster, and he can't play for the team. It's not unprecedented to have players rehab with a team, if they are not on the roster.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#11 » by NoZoLakers » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:27 am

Pennebaker wrote:
arasu wrote:
Why?

keep him? hes free to rehab anywhere he likes doesnt mean he can come back and play for the Lakers this yr anymore....its no different then being laid off from your buddy's bar, if your buddy lets you come back and serves yourself free booze you gona say no?
NoZoLakers
General Manager

Post#12 » by NoZoLakers » Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:27 am

arasu wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
arasu wrote:Why?

No. They are not "keeping" him. Cousins isn't on the roster, and he can't play for the team. It's not unprecedented to have players rehab with a team, if they are not on the roster.

hate can blind one from having common sense :lol:
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#13 » by Vegeta10176 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:47 am

Pennebaker wrote:
arasu wrote:
Why?

Your on the list for one of the dumbest statements of the year.. Your up there you may win the award.
Pennebaker
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Pennebaker » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:25 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:

Your on the list for one of the dumbest statements of the year.. Your up there you may win the award.

*You're

How so? Please explain. I'm curious to know what the rules are regarding this.
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#15 » by Mr Puddles » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:59 am

Pennebaker wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:

*You're

Man, that response was uncalled for - perfectly fine question to ask.

There is precedent for teams doing this. The Suns waived Isaiah Canaan a few years and continued to help him rehabilitate as well. I'm sure there's more examples out there as well. I guess teams do this to build up good will with players.
Spoiler:
23artest23
Head Coach
And1: 193

Post#16 » by 23artest23 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:32 am

Vegeta10176 wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:

The irony in your statement is strong :lol:
NoZoLakers
General Manager

Post#17 » by NoZoLakers » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:11 am

Pennebaker wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:

*You're

n how exactly are you reading this report n interpreting it as the "lakers are keeping" cousin on the roster/team?
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man

Post#18 » by Vegeta10176 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:46 am

23artest23 wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:

The irony in your statement is strong :lol:

No it's not..
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by Vegeta10176 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:03 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:

*You're

There is precedent for teams doing this. The Suns waived Isaiah Canaan a few years and continued to help him rehabilitate as well. I'm sure there's more examples out there as well. I guess teams do this to build up good will with players.

Have you actually read what he wrote.. He is acting like the Lakers get to Keep cousins and it's like he is on the roster which clearly is not the case and obviously Cousins can not play as he is not on the roster.. So there is the difference when he says no difference. The Lakers are allowing cousins to continue to rehab using their facility as he has been doing for months because they would be complete arses not too. Boogie is free to sign with anyone and anyone is free to approach him this was not the case before as it would of been tampering. This is obviously another difference. Since it is unlikely that anyone will sign Boogie this season given his condition and that the injury came while on the Lakers roster it is the right thing to do for the Lakers to let Boogie use thier facilities to rehabilitate.. They could let you do it if they so choose. Any team can allow any free agent to work out at their facility. Any team can also approach a free agent. It is evident that the posters hate for the Lakers has blinded him from the downright obvious.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man

Post#20 » by Vegeta10176 » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:03 pm

Mr Puddles wrote:
Pennebaker wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:

*You're

Have you actually read what he wrote.. He is acting like the Lakers get to Keep cousins and it's like he is on the roster which clearly is not the case and obviously Cousins can not play as he is not on the roster.. So there is the difference when he says no difference. The Lakers are allowing cousins to continue to rehab using their facility as he has been doing for months because they would be complete arses not too. Boogie is free to sign with anyone and anyone is free to approach him this was not the case before as it would of been tampering. This is obviously another difference. Since it is unlikely that anyone will sign Boogie this season given his condition and that the injury came while on the Lakers roster it is the right thing to do for the Lakers to let Boogie use thier facilities to rehabilitate.. They could let you do it if they so choose. Any team can allow any free agent to work out at their facility. Any team can also approach a free agent. It is evident that the posters hate for the Lakers has blinded him to the downright obvious.

Return to Wiretap Discussion