Mark Cuban Criticizes Officiating Following Loss To Hawks

Moderators: BombsquadSammy, Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 75,727
And1: 207
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

Mark Cuban Criticizes Officiating Following Loss To Hawks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:23 am

Mark Cuban went on Twitter to criticize the level of NBA officiating following the Dallas Mavericks' 111-107 loss to the Atlanta Hawks.


Cuban was upset by a play late in the game in which John Collins putback Dorian Finney-Smith's block shot. The initial goal-tending call on Finney-Smith was overturned after a review, though the refs counted Collins' shot due to an "inadvertent" whistle.


"So they call a goaltend. They literally blew the whistle that it was a goaltend. There was a putback after the whistle. After review they said no goaltend but count the basket? WTF is that? That's NBA officiating," tweeted Cuban.


Cuban then criticized the system for producing what he perceived as incompetent refs for 20 years.


"Refs have bad games. Crews have bad games. But this isn't a single game issue. This is the same s--- that has been going on for 20 years. Hire former refs who think they know how to hire, train and manage. Realize 2 years later they can't. Repeat." Cuban added.


Crew chief Rodney Mott explained the call after the game. 


"The ball was blocked and reviewed. The ball hit the rim, so it was deemed an inadvertent whistle because it was ruled a good block. By rule, it's an inadvertent whistle. It's Rule 2. Because he (Collins) was in his shooting motion when my whistle blew, it's deemed a continuation, so therefore, the basket counts," said Mott. 

Via ESPN

User avatar
jozef
Rookie
Posts: 1,032
And1: 19
Joined: Oct 29, 2001
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

Re: Mark Cuban Criticizes Officiating Following Loss To Hawks 

Post#2 » by jozef » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:12 am

Maybe little mistake here and there but it is still far way better than FIBA rules and officiating.
"You can have all the stars you want, but I'd rather have a team full of guys I can depend on, who work hard and play together."...(John Stockton)
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
Posts: 12,263
And1: 6,992
Joined: Apr 17, 2009
 

Re: Mark Cuban Criticizes Officiating Following Loss To Hawks 

Post#3 » by Johnny Firpo » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:15 am

The ref clearly lied about it being an inadvertent whistle. Check the reply, he made a call, and his body language does not suggest it was an inadvertent whistle. And that stinks. They also said Collins already started the shooting motion when the whistle was blown. He didn't. So no matter how I look at this situation, they were not fair with us. Doesn't mean we would have won the game of course, but they took away our chance with that decision.
User avatar
Kampuchea
General Manager
Posts: 7,551
And1: 3,770
Joined: Oct 20, 2010
Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrFOb_f7ubw
       

Re: Mark Cuban Criticizes Officiating Following Loss To Hawks 

Post#4 » by Kampuchea » Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:28 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:The ref clearly lied about it being an inadvertent whistle. Check the reply, he made a call, and his body language does not suggest it was an inadvertent whistle. And that stinks. They also said Collins already started the shooting motion when the whistle was blown. He didn't. So no matter how I look at this situation, they were not fair with us. Doesn't mean we would have won the game of course, but they took away our chance with that decision.


He said that it is deemed an inadvertent whistle by rule
Image
User avatar
deeps6x
General Manager
Posts: 8,066
And1: 5,046
Joined: Nov 28, 2008
     

Re: Mark Cuban Criticizes Officiating Following Loss To Hawks 

Post#5 » by deeps6x » Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:19 pm

The coaches challenge was a step in the right direction. Refs blow calls all the time. People make mistakes. The challenge system helps correct those mistakes.

Unfortunately, the biggest problem with this system is that the coach only gets to use it once per game. At minimum, this should either be expanded to three challenges or if you win, you get to keep your challenge.

Also, where are the stats showing which refs blow the most calls?

Why do the Raptors have the best record for challenge wins this season? Are the refs screwing them so that they don't repeat?
Read on Twitter
User avatar
Furinkazan
Head Coach
Posts: 7,333
And1: 3,253
Joined: May 11, 2005
       

Re: Mark Cuban Criticizes Officiating Following Loss To Hawks 

Post#6 » by Furinkazan » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:04 pm

jozef wrote:Maybe little mistake here and there but it is still far way better than FIBA rules and officiating.

are you trolling?
Fiba officiating is decent.
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
Posts: 12,263
And1: 6,992
Joined: Apr 17, 2009
 

Re: Mark Cuban Criticizes Officiating Following Loss To Hawks 

Post#7 » by Johnny Firpo » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:10 pm

Kampuchea wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:The ref clearly lied about it being an inadvertent whistle. Check the reply, he made a call, and his body language does not suggest it was an inadvertent whistle. And that stinks. They also said Collins already started the shooting motion when the whistle was blown. He didn't. So no matter how I look at this situation, they were not fair with us. Doesn't mean we would have won the game of course, but they took away our chance with that decision.


He said that it is deemed an inadvertent whistle by rule


Doesn't matter, the whistle was clearly before Collins got the ball.
User avatar
Kampuchea
General Manager
Posts: 7,551
And1: 3,770
Joined: Oct 20, 2010
Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrFOb_f7ubw
       

Re: Mark Cuban Criticizes Officiating Following Loss To Hawks 

Post#8 » by Kampuchea » Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:18 pm

Johnny Firpo wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:The ref clearly lied about it being an inadvertent whistle. Check the reply, he made a call, and his body language does not suggest it was an inadvertent whistle. And that stinks. They also said Collins already started the shooting motion when the whistle was blown. He didn't. So no matter how I look at this situation, they were not fair with us. Doesn't mean we would have won the game of course, but they took away our chance with that decision.


He said that it is deemed an inadvertent whistle by rule


Doesn't matter, the whistle was clearly before Collins got the ball.


Your statement that said he was lying about it being an inadvertent whistle is therefore incorrect. In good faith you can no longer make that claim.

Cheers
Image
Johnny Firpo
RealGM
Posts: 12,263
And1: 6,992
Joined: Apr 17, 2009
 

Re: Mark Cuban Criticizes Officiating Following Loss To Hawks 

Post#9 » by Johnny Firpo » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:04 pm

Kampuchea wrote:
Johnny Firpo wrote:
Kampuchea wrote:
He said that it is deemed an inadvertent whistle by rule


Doesn't matter, the whistle was clearly before Collins got the ball.


Your statement that said he was lying about it being an inadvertent whistle is therefore incorrect. In good faith you can no longer make that claim.

Cheers


Why are you still talking about that? I said even if that's true, the whistle clearly came before Collins' shot.
Hans1984
Sophomore
Posts: 240
And1: 96
Joined: Mar 08, 2019

Re: Mark Cuban Criticizes Officiating Following Loss To Hawks 

Post#10 » by Hans1984 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:18 pm

The ref is making excuses.
RipPizzaGuy
RealGM
Posts: 10,522
And1: 6,452
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
     

Re: Mark Cuban Criticizes Officiating Following Loss To Hawks 

Post#11 » by RipPizzaGuy » Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:10 pm

Read on Twitter


Id like to remind everyone this 2 handed push off by Bam at the end of the game was listed by refs as "Adebayo (MIA) releases from the contact with Joseph (SAC) near the basket."

Refs are awful. I've seen this crap a dozen times this year. Glad to see it happen to guys like Cuban who aren't afraid to say something.
User avatar
jozef
Rookie
Posts: 1,032
And1: 19
Joined: Oct 29, 2001
Location: Slovakia
Contact:

Re: Mark Cuban Criticizes Officiating Following Loss To Hawks 

Post#12 » by jozef » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:54 am

Furinkazan wrote:
jozef wrote:Maybe little mistake here and there but it is still far way better than FIBA rules and officiating.

are you trolling?
Fiba officiating is decent.

No trolling.
They call unsportsmanlike fouls alltime. Make wrong call and call another one on slight protest. Disrupting the game easily and often. Flopping on block/charge situation is bad joke quite often.
FIBA sucks.
"You can have all the stars you want, but I'd rather have a team full of guys I can depend on, who work hard and play together."...(John Stockton)

Return to Wiretap Discussion